Billy Elliot

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Quinnsome
Silver Member

Post by Quinnsome »

I was (more than) absolutely amazed by the dancing. I'm a dancer myself, and I really appreciate the talent and hard work of these three boys. They are exceptional.

I wouldn't see it, as I would be insulted by the language; but if it weren't for that, I would see the Broadway show if I had the chance.
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

The key seemed a bit high for a couple of them (I believe they all sing in different keys when they are Billy). I do agree the dancing was great.

I have my tickets for the Saturday matinee on thanksgiving weekend!
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

Mathmaniac wrote:
I have my tickets for the Saturday matinee on thanksgiving weekend!
Have a great time today!

Rich
William

Post by William »

I go see the show next weekend. Does anyone happen to know how long the show runs? I'm there for the 2:00 matinee and am supposed to meet some people afterwards. I would like to know what to tell them. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

The show runs approx. 2:45 so you should be out just before 5:00.

Rich
William

Post by William »

Thanks Rich. That's very helpful!
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

Billy Elliot was one of the best musicals I've ever seen! Just a short comment about who was there: Hilary Clinton and her daughter attended the show.

We had David Alvarez as Billy, and he did a great job! I have to see it again!
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

Be careful - the show is addicting! (I should know :oops: ) Though the theatre does not put out a schedule as to who is playing Billy on specific nights, try to see all three lads in the title role. Each show is slightly different based on the boy's strengths.

Rich
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

And there are two boys who play Michael. The one who was in the matinee on Saturday was David Bologna who was always a presence when on stage. "Expressing Yourself" was definitely one of the best numbers.

Since there are two Michaels and 3 Billys, I guess I have to see it a minimum of 5 more times to get all the pairings.
William

Post by William »

I saw the show Saturday and it was fantastic! I didn't care for NYC itself all that much (first time)but I wouldn't hesitate to go back there and see it again. Billy was played by Trent Kowalik and Michael was played by David Bologna at this performance. I agree with fans that said when David was on stage he practically stole the scene. The kid was a riot. Trent was fabulous as Billy and a most accomplished and impressive dancer. I was sitting behind a woman who has seen the show 6 times already and she said Trent was her favorite Billy.
One of the most impressive dance numbers was 'Angry Dance'. I loved the staging of that particular dance, especially at the beginning where there were 3 shadows of Billy dancing on the rear stage wall.
It was a most impressive show. I hope to see it again! And again. And again!
illuminaperpetua
Silver Member

Post by illuminaperpetua »

O MY GOSH! I had a dream that I was Michael Horncastle/Billy Elliot and it was my first day of dance practise and so I had no idea what I was doing so I just started making up stuff and then the dance teacher (BIG BEN! :lol: ) saw me and instead of getting irritated and saying "You're doing it wrong!" he started following me! pretty soon the whole dance class joined in (the ballet girls were Libera! :lol: ) and everybody was smiling! it was like one of those scenes in Enchanted!
:lol: :lol: :lol: It was HIL-LAR-I-OUS!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
EARTHBENDERS: The Earth beneath your feet is an extension of your face...use it!
illuminaperpetua
Silver Member

Post by illuminaperpetua »

I wish I could have seen it! but I live too far away and lack the funds with which to pay for such a thing!...lacrymosa! :cry:
I'm working on this awesome drawing with different pictures from Angry Dance in it but I had to postpone it since I was running out of black, red, and blue! :cry:
EARTHBENDERS: The Earth beneath your feet is an extension of your face...use it!
Marky
Location: England - VERY Great Britain! enough of the not-so's

Post by Marky »

Billy Elliot..wholeheartedly recommended to anyone and everyone. I've seen it in London 19 times now (a little obsessive perhaps :oops:) It's the most uplifting, fun, emotional, truly wonderful show to hit the stage in years. Unfortunately the forum (previously mentioned) closed a few weeks back (for very complicated reasons) but the show is still going strong after four years. The adult cast are brilliant and the child cast will take your breath away with their dance and vocal talents. If you live within 100,000 (!) miles of London, New York or Melbourne then you have no excuse!

Mark :wink:
'Far away beyond the sky'
Marky
Location: England - VERY Great Britain! enough of the not-so's

Post by Marky »

Quinnsome wrote:I wouldn't see it, as I would be insulted by the language; but if it weren't for that, I would see the Broadway show if I had the chance.
er...OK!...nobody would be insulting you personally, all bad language is very much in context with the stage action, not to mention the very real emotion that was created by the 1984 miners strike with families being torn apart and taken to the point of near starvation. One can choose to live in the dark if one wants to...after all it's not always pretty out here, it's not always fluffy and comfortable...it's called life! That being said there isn't a show out there that will leave a person feeling more uplifted, exhilarated...or ALIVE!
'Far away beyond the sky'
William

Post by William »

I agree. In fact I'm going back to NYC next week to see it twice more. I'll also be seeing Wicked while I'm there.