peace'soloists & their pitch of voice

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Silver Member

peace'soloists & their pitch of voice

Post by Sue »

Hey Fans,
so now I've heard all the new soloists and found out their pitch of voice.
So here are my results:

Stefan Leadbeater = boysoloist Soprano
Ralph Skan = boysoloist Alto
James Threadgill = boy Soprano
James Mordaunt = boy Alto
Daniel Fontannaz = boy Soprano

not sure:
Jakob D.M. Wood = boy Soprano 2 or boy Alto 1 ?
His Song is "Lead, Kindly Light" on Peace, so what do you mean is his pitch of voice?

older ones:
Benedict Philipp = boy Soprano
Tom Cully & Liam Connery = boy Soprano

So, I think its wonderful to see new boys doing solos on Libera. There are beautiful new voices in it & now the fans get to know the new names and their voices :-)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: peace'soloists & their pitch of voice

Post by Yorkie »

Sue wrote:Hey Fans,
so now I've heard all the new soloists and found out their pitch of voice.
So here are my results:

Stefan Leadbeater = boysoloist Soprano
Ralph Skan = boysoloist Alto
James Threadgill = boy Soprano
James Mordaunt = boy Alto
Daniel Fontannaz = boy Soprano

not sure:
Jakob D.M. Wood = boy Soprano 2 or boy Alto 1 ?
His Song is "Lead, Kindly Light" on Peace, so what do you mean is his pitch of voice?

older ones:
Benedict Philipp = boy Soprano
Tom Cully & Liam Connery = boy Soprano

So, I think its wonderful to see new boys doing solos on Libera. There are beautiful new voices in it & now the fans get to know the new names and their voices :-)
Hi Sue.

Thanks for your post (and I agree with you) but I've just read something interesting on another forum. In England (unlike Germany) we don't class any boy singers as Alto - they are all Trebles (soprano).

Apparently, in the English tradition of Cathedral/collegiate singing, the alto range is sung by men using their 'head' voice. I've only just read that so I thought I'd share it :D

So, over here at least, all the boys are soprano's (trebles) 8)
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

I agree with the classification of the boys' voices for the most part. Do you think that Daniel might be soprano since he had to sing quite high on "Panis Angelicus"? I suppose he could be a treble II vs. treble I though. And for James M. I'm wondering if his range may increase as he gets older and has more training; I think he's more of a treble II right now though.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

I'm not too familiar with the terms as well cos we usually use soprano and alto too. Libera they have treble 1, treble 2, but do they have treble 3 or 4? Typically do boys choir have treble 3 or 4, or do they stop at 2? Just curious, cos a normal mixed choir usually might have SATB (soprano, alto, tenor, bass).
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

xsakurax wrote:I'm not too familiar with the terms as well cos we usually use soprano and alto too. Libera they have treble 1, treble 2, but do they have treble 3 or 4? Typically do boys choir have treble 3 or 4, or do they stop at 2? Just curious, cos a normal mixed choir usually might have SATB (soprano, alto, tenor, bass).
I really don't know :D But in England the traditional STAB choir is men only with the men singing the TAB parts and the boys doing the Soprano/treble. Boys in English cathedral/collegiate choirs are soprano only. Any boy prior to voice change will be able to sing soprano and they are trained to do so from the age of 6 or 7 in many cases.

That doesn't mean the boys can't sing in the alto range, they just are not required to do so as part of the English tradition. That's part of the reason the sound is unique.

Mercy & Love
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Code: Select all

In England (unlike Germany) we don't class any boy singers as Alto - they are all Trebles (soprano). 
O, really? So, the british people say, all boys are trebles? That would mean, a boy with a deeper voice have to sing the high notes in boys choir. Do the British think, every boy have the same voice as all boys?
Just curious, cos a normal mixed choir usually might have SATB (soprano, alto, tenor, bass).
I agree with you. Do you have pure women's choirs or pure man's choirs in your country?
I am in a german (pure) women's choir & we don't have tenor or bass. We only have soprano 1, soprano 2, alto 1 and alto 2. I guess a pure man's choir doesn't have soprano and alto.
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

Sue wrote:

Code: Select all

In England (unlike Germany) we don't class any boy singers as Alto - they are all Trebles (soprano). 
O, really? So, the british people say, all boys are trebles? That would mean, a boy with a deeper voice have to sing the high notes in boys choir. Do the British think, every boy have the same voice as all boys?
Just curious, cos a normal mixed choir usually might have SATB (soprano, alto, tenor, bass).
I agree with you. Do you have pure women's choirs or pure man's choirs in your country?
I am in a german (pure) women's choir & we don't have tenor or bass. We only have soprano 1, soprano 2, alto 1 and alto 2. I guess a pure man's choir doesn't have soprano and alto.

Well if you are talkin in Pure Mens then no there are no Sopranos or altos...UNLESS there are a few countertenors available in the area....they can provide ALto and Soprano. If you are talkin about just a MALE choir in general, which includes boys then there can be a SATB combination, where young boys would be singing The soprano and alto ranges.....and Sue if you are wondering, I'm from America.
Deshaun(day-shawn!)

"Music is my Refuge. I can just crawl in between the spaces of the notes and curl my back to the loneliness."- Maya Angelou
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Yorkie wrote:
xsakurax wrote:I'm not too familiar with the terms as well cos we usually use soprano and alto too. Libera they have treble 1, treble 2, but do they have treble 3 or 4? Typically do boys choir have treble 3 or 4, or do they stop at 2? Just curious, cos a normal mixed choir usually might have SATB (soprano, alto, tenor, bass).
I really don't know :D But in England the traditional STAB choir is men only with the men singing the TAB parts and the boys doing the Soprano/treble. Boys in English cathedral/collegiate choirs are soprano only. Any boy prior to voice change will be able to sing soprano and they are trained to do so from the age of 6 or 7 in many cases.

That doesn't mean the boys can't sing in the alto range, they just are not required to do so as part of the English tradition. That's part of the reason the sound is unique.
Oh, I really didn't know that! That boys in English cathedral/collgiate choirs are soprano only. For soprano range, do they have differentiation lik eg. Soprano 1 /soprano 2 or do they usually just sing one part (everyone singing the same, compared to two parts [or more] when you have sopranos and altos etc in a mixed choir)?
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Sue wrote:
In Singapore, we do have pure men' choirs as well as pure women's choirs. I think it differs from schools to schools, and countries too. In high school my choir was mixed but we only had less than 5 boys and initially we had less than 30-40 members so we only had soprano and alto. But when we had 50/60 or so members we end up having soprano 1, soprano 2 and alto. But it all depends on the songs actually, some songs are two parts and some are three/four. I know schools with bigger choirs have 4 parts usually.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Sue wrote: O, really? So, the british people say, all boys are trebles? That would mean, a boy with a deeper voice have to sing the high notes in boys choir. Do the British think, every boy have the same voice as all boys?
I don't think I explained myself well. What I meant to say is that in the traditional English cathedral and collegiate (think Kings College Choir, Cambridge) choirs they only use boys who sing in the treble/soprano range. Once the lads voice breaks he leaves the choir. I didn't mean to say that in England no boy sings in the alto range - just that they are not used in the traditional choirs who only use pre-pubescent boys.
Sue wrote: I am in a german (pure) women's choir & we don't have tenor or bass. We only have soprano 1, soprano 2, alto 1 and alto 2. I guess a pure man's choir doesn't have soprano and alto.
Well, in the English sense a mens choir means (as Deshaun quite rightly said) a choir comprised of men and boys. There are of course mixed choirs (the Cambridge Singers jumps to mind) and some cathedral choirs now use a mix of men and women (and miserable old Victorian that I am it appalls me to hear such a thing. A thousand years of history shattered under the jackboot of political correctness and equality).

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

xsakurax wrote:Oh, I really didn't know that! That boys in English cathedral/collgiate choirs are soprano only. For soprano range, do they have differentiation lik eg. Soprano 1 /soprano 2 or do they usually just sing one part (everyone singing the same, compared to two parts [or more] when you have sopranos and altos etc in a mixed choir)?
Well, you're way outside my miserable knowledge on the subject now but try wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_soprano" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thought I might post some Youtube clips to give you an idea of the English style of choir - these are full SATB choirs with only men and boys

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do :D I really love that Agnus Dei.

Mercy & Love
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Thought I might post some Youtube clips to give you an idea of the English style of choir - these are full SATB choirs with only men and boys
hey, thank you very much Yorkie. thats really a good idea. and it brings an idea to me for a new thread :D
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Thanks Yorkie! But trust me, you have far better knowledge than I have!
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

That may be a reason why in so many hymns, the tenor parts barely go over the E above middle C and the Alto parts rarely hit anything higher than the A or B above that. It is difficult to find older male voices who can successfully hit A's and above.
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004