Please help

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

paul
Site Admin

Please help

Post by paul »

I was helping out to tidy the grounds of St Philips today, and was chatting to a local there. I was asked to sign a petition as Croydon council want to close there local Library. The people & parishioners of Norbury highly value this facility and would dearly miss this should it be closed. Please help them by signing the online petition.

Thanks.

There local website: http://www.norburygreen.co.uk/

The online petition: http://www.gopetition.com/petition/41547.html

Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Signed, although I'm curious as to why the library faces closure. Couldn't really find information about that unless I overlooked something.

Now, for a benefit action - I can already hear Libera singing their signature song, but with the lyrics of the refrain changed to Library: Li-bra-ryyy :) (and instead of them spreading their arms they could be leafing through books or something :lol: )
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

maartendas wrote:Signed, although I'm curious as to why the library faces closure. Couldn't really find information about that unless I overlooked something.

Now, for a benefit action - I can already hear Libera singing their signature song, but with the lyrics of the refrain changed to Library: Li-bra-ryyy :) (and instead of them spreading their arms they could be leafing through books or something :lol: )
:lol: :lol:
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

maartendas wrote:Signed, although I'm curious as to why the library faces closure. Couldn't really find information about that unless I overlooked something.

:D :D :lol: :lol:

Thanks for signing, i'm sure they will appreciate your support
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

- Plato
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

20 Views but only 2 signatures.

:(

Disappointed.

- Plato
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

paul30003 wrote:20 Views but only 2 signatures.

:(

Disappointed.
I'm sure more people will sign!
:D
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

so far 2 from the US!
Deshaun(day-shawn!)

"Music is my Refuge. I can just crawl in between the spaces of the notes and curl my back to the loneliness."- Maya Angelou
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

irishoreo wrote:so far 2 from the US!
The owners of the petition are going to be suprised!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Because our wonderful new Government, that hates anything that is not privately owned and making a profit for one of their own, has decided to reduce funding to local councils.

Facing 25% funding cuts local council's have no choice but to slash local service to the bone. And lets face it only poor people use libraries and who wants to help poor people? Certainly not our wonderful multi millionaire leaders who were educated at the most exclusive public (aka private for US readers) schools in the country.

I probably should say at this point that I despise this Government. I know, you probably couldn't have guessed if I hadn't told you. They make Maggie Thatcher look like Keir Hardie
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Signed as well :D
liberavieve

Post by liberavieve »

Yorkie wrote:I probably should say at this point that I despise this Government. I know, you probably couldn't have guessed if I hadn't told you. They make Maggie Thatcher look like Keir Hardie
But— but— but—! The Big Society—!
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Just read one of the comments- no book shops in Norbury :shock:
Closing the only library- is it a mean joke? :(
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Murkskis wrote:Just read one of the comments- no book shops in Norbury :shock:
No it's the Tories at work. First they stole the milk from kids, now it's their books. Still look on the bright side, if they're not wasting their time reading and their parents are inevitably unemployed from the crashing economy, they can earn some money sweeping chimneys or working sewing machines in sweat shops.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Murkskis wrote:Just read one of the comments- no book shops in Norbury :shock:
Norbury is a sh*t hole. Its basically 95% cheap chavvy take away shops.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Well you know what the tories would say about the funding cuts Yorkie and it's the point Cameron makes in every question put to him at PM Questions.

It's because of the appaling debt ridden legacy left to us by the last Labour government they are now having to make these drastic deficit cuts.

I was brought up in mainly red/labour voting territory, and I have voted for them in past elections, but it will be a long, long time before I put an 'x' in their box again. That doesn't necessarily mean I vote for Blue either (or what do you get if you mix yellow with blue now it's a coalition?). I'm probably just one of the millions of disillusioned voters out there at present.

Anyway off topic I suppose. I've signed the petition but one of the reasons for local libraries closing is because not many people go to them anymore. Why? What are we using to sign this petition? Wouldn't be something called the internet would it?