Heading to St Philips tomorrow

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

paul
Site Admin

Heading to St Philips tomorrow

Post by paul »

Although we have been hit by snow here in the southeast of England, I'm heading up to St Philips first thing in the morning.

I'm expecting minor delays but hopefully will still be able to make morning mass.

I'm going to be staying in London for the day and attending the evening, Festival of 9 lessons and carols for Christmas by candlelight. With full choir, which starts at 6.30

Well, its going to be a long day, I have not a clue what to do in the hours between morning service and evening carols, maybe just some sight seeing.

Hope to get some pictures and some news/gossip from the local parishioners, all of which ill post here.

Any other members attending?

If you are, you will recognise me as I will be wearing a bright red Berghause gortex jacket. Feel free to come and have a chat.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I have been toying with going but with the weather the way it is i dont know if i could get home ok. But i woud love to go.
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Nicki wrote:Wish I could go! Whatever you do to pass the time throughout the day, stay warm :D Looking forward to hearing all about it.
Thanks!
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

- Plato
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Has anybody here ever been before ? is it normally busy?

what do they normally sing ? , i heard one year Tom actually sung Ave Virgo.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Sounds heavenly. The full choir including the mens voices blending with the trebles will not leave you dissapointed. I don't know if there will be a paper program of anything but try and report on what carols they sing if you don't fall into an ethereal trance lol

Stay warm too!
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

Have fun my friend!!!
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

I hope you have the most amazing time! :D I'm sure you will - no doubt about it! I'd love to attend, but comming from Texas just for that is a little pricy.. but I'll be there in March ;) Can't wait to hear how it goes, and see pictures, if possible!
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I try and keep a note of what is sung, yes your right its hard not to fall into a trance like state with all that heavenly music, I was like that at St Georges, if it was not for the program I would have not know what they sung lol. Think thats why I had trouble reviewing there concert. I think as it was my first Libera concert, it was like wow! almost drunk on the music. Not to mention the couple of glasses of wine during the interval.

- Plato
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

paul30003 wrote:I try and keep a note of what is sung, yes your right its hard not to fall into a trance like state with all that heavenly music, I was like that at St Georges, if it was not for the program I would have not know what they sung lol. Think thats why I had trouble reviewing there concert. I think as it was my first Libera concert, it was like wow! almost drunk on the music. Not to mention the couple of glasses of wine during the interval.

I concur.......that is all........
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

dani wrote:Has anybody here ever been before ? is it normally busy?

what do they normally sing ? , i heard one year Tom actually sung Ave Virgo.
Here the 2009 review of 9 lessons and Carols from St Philip, written by our friend George on his blog :)

(Google translation from Russian)
lucyjubilate

Post by lucyjubilate »

Hello guys, I am going to the services(both morning and evening) at St. Philip's tomorrow, too.

I visited the church once on the 5th December and attended the evensong. There were only around 15 people (but I think there will be more tomorrow). On the 5th it was not the full choir, the men's choir was missing and only less than 20 boys presented (if I remembered right, the boys who presented were: Stefan, Daniel, Ralph, Henry, Luke, Freddie, Kavana, Jakob, Sam Leggett, Alex, Sammy, Matthew RA, Cassius, Carlos, Dylan Duffy, Mine or Sere Akbopome and the boy sitting between Tom and Ralph on Peace leaflets). But the boys did a great job all the same! Stefan and Daniel's high notes were quite amazing. And in one song which emphasized the lower parts I could hear Sam's voice clearly! He sounded really great so it's a pity we did not have the chance to listen to his solos on CDs. The only thing worried me was Ralph seemed to got his left leg hurt and was carrying walking sticks... and Jakob holding the music book together with him while singing. Hope he's much better when I see him tomorrow. I also saw Eleanor that day, she said one prayer and helped to collect donations. Mr Prizeman directed the boys and played the piano, he also played the organ at the end of the service and it was really beautiful!

When I was leaving the church the vicar looked at me with a little curiousity but said hello friendly. Maybe strangers like me were quite easy to recognize. lol. So that's all I could remember. And I believe the services tomorrow will be great! :D

PS. I'll wear a black coat and pink scarf. And an Asian girl like me won't be hard to recognize.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks for sharing those thoughts Lucy. You obviously have a very good memory, remembering all the boys names, so I hope you can come back and tell us about the Festival of Nine Lessons service tonight ;)

Shame they can't do an international webcast or something, especially with the weather being so dicey. As always I will be tuned into the BBC when Kings College, Cambridge perform their service on Christmas eve.
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

paul30003 wrote:I try and keep a note of what is sung, yes your right its hard not to fall into a trance like state with all that heavenly music, I was like that at St Georges, if it was not for the program I would have not know what they sung lol. Think thats why I had trouble reviewing there concert. I think as it was my first Libera concert, it was like wow! almost drunk on the music. Not to mention the couple of glasses of wine during the interval.
Actually falling into a trance like state is one of the main reasons I just adore their music so much 8) Not to mention the quality of the singing as well :D
Speaking about 'drunk on the music'- fully agree :lol:
Looking forward to hear about your experience of today !
jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Post by jennaluvspbr »

Murkskis wrote:
Actually falling into a trance like state is one of the main reasons I just adore their music so much 8) Not to mention the quality of the singing as well :D
Speaking about 'drunk on the music'- fully agree :lol:
Looking forward to hear about your experience of today !
i am so excied that all of u going to lodnon that is so sweet i wish i was going becues i love libera i dot no when i am going to see them a gain so ples tell ben josh hi and enjoy london
lucyjubilate

Post by lucyjubilate »

Hello guys! I'm back to my place from Norbury and I did have a great time! The service was awesome! Forgive me if you feel I am taking it as a Christmas carols concert... lol

I arrived at the church around 6:00pm and sat in the third line on the left half. By the time the service began the church was almost full and most of those attended were the boys' families. Mr Prizeman began to play the organ by 6:15 and the service started a little bit later than 6:30. As I have imagined the choir was almost "full" today. Everyone was there except Mini Ben... maybe he's too busy with school or failed to come for the bad weather. Jonathan, Liam and Tiarnan were wearing men's choir's robes and they looked quite handsome in them. It seemed Michael H was there but he got his hair cut I could hardly recognize him... Oh, and Ralph's leg is OK now for he could walk normally. Henry seemed to have caught a cold so he did not join the choir and sat among the audiances.

The nine lessons was about the Genesis and the born of Jesus Christ. Nine different people read different parts from the Holy Bible. And two of the readings were done by Sammy and the new boy Barney! And he sounded quite good. The others who did the readings seemed to be the families or local people. I counted the porgramme and they sang 17 carols in total! And we joined the choir to sing 5 (Once in Royal David's city, O little town of Bethlehem, Silent night, While shepherds watched and O come all ye faithful) of them. It feels quite good to sing together with the boys! Stefan, Ralph, Jakob and Daniel did most of the high notes. And the men's choir sounded brilliant, too. In one song (The angel Gabriel) Josh sang the solo with his low voice and it was really beautiful! The service lasted for about one hour and a half.

As for the morning service, this time only part the men's choir presented. Both Big Ben and Simon Lewis sounded brilliant with their solos. They sang Agnus Dei and Creator of the starry height, which had exactly the same tunes as Libera'a Agnus Dei and Sempiterna, but the lyrics were different. So those two Libera songs sourced from two traditional hymns? Or are the two traditional hymns also writtern by Mr Prizeman?

After the Nine lessons service a nice lady sat behind me asked me whether I enjoyed it (so she recognized I'm a Libera fan, lol). And this lady was Tiarnan's grandmother! She was really really nice and encouraged me to say hello to her grandson. But I know this was not a Libera concert so I asked her to introduce me... and she did! So this was the first time I ever spoke in person to one of the boys (hope I can go to a M&G someday...). And the boys' families are soooo nice and understanding.

So this is all that I can remember. And this will be one of the best memory I have ever had. :D
Last edited by lucyjubilate on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.