American Idol

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

TEB
Gold Member

American Idol

Post by TEB »

Just in case anyone is interested, Kris Allen just won the show. Ho hum. The high point of the entire evening for me was Brian May and Roger Taylor from Queen performing We Are The Champions.
God Save The Queen!!
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
Digs
Silver Member

Post by Digs »

I thought Adam should have won, but they were both very talented. Now, what to watch on Tues and Wed evening?
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Plato
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

I received a text message from Idol this afternoon inviting me to a live chat with Adam this afternoon. Didn't bother figuring it would be overloaded with people.
And yes, I agree, Adam should have one, not withstanding that "performance" such as it was with Kiss.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hi Tom, you watching this years AI? We get the shows a day or so after they air in the US - I love these early try out shows - you guys have some real nut jobs :lol:

Do you think the show will survive without Simon? XFactor is basically the same (Cowell's next show) but it has four categories (girls and boys aged 16 -24, Over 25's (so no upper age limit) and groups. Basically the four judges each get a category to mentor and have three acts in the final shows - the judges select the acts songs for each weeks show and it becomes a bit of a contest between the judges to see who can win.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

the x factor is only good for the auditions, we have some really bad singers here who are deluded lol, but after the auditions it just gets boring and talent is forgotten and bad singers such as Jedward get through.
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

kthomp wrote:the x factor is only good for the auditions, we have some really bad singers here who are deluded lol, but after the auditions it just gets boring and talent is forgotten and bad singers such as Jedward get through.
Well, I can't disagree - it all makes for car crash t.v. :D

Mercy & Love
jesuspeace34

Post by jesuspeace34 »

Yorkie wrote:
kthomp wrote:the x factor is only good for the auditions, we have some really bad singers here who are deluded lol, but after the auditions it just gets boring and talent is forgotten and bad singers such as Jedward get through.

What's the x factor? If Simon's in a new show, I'd like to see it.
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Yorkie wrote:Hi Tom, you watching this years AI? We get the shows a day or so after they air in the US - I love these early try out shows - you guys have some real nut jobs :lol:

Do you think the show will survive without Simon? XFactor is basically the same (Cowell's next show) but it has four categories (girls and boys aged 16 -24, Over 25's (so no upper age limit) and groups. Basically the four judges each get a category to mentor and have three acts in the final shows - the judges select the acts songs for each weeks show and it becomes a bit of a contest between the judges to see who can win.
I haven't been able to get into this years show just yet. I think I will wait until all the initial tryouts are over and they get down to the real talent.
I also think that we are watching the next to last season of American Idol. It will survive one season without Simon Cowell and then it will be over. Simon and Randy are really the only 2 of the judges who have the knowledge of music to be making these calls anyways.
I've even heard a rumor of David Hasselhoff being tapped to replace Simon. Oh come on now!! I liked Knight Rider and Bay Watch well enough but to use him as a talen judge?
Simon may be right in what he said. He wanted to go out while the show was still on top. The end will start as soon as Simon's last finali airs.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American

kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

the x factor has been going for years.. its kinda the show that simon changed to after the pop idol failed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_X_Factor_(UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Yorkie wrote:Hi Tom, you watching this years AI? We get the shows a day or so after they air in the US - I love these early try out shows - you guys have some real nut jobs :lol:
Hahahaha, welcome to America.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

kthomp wrote:the x factor has been going for years.. its kinda the show that simon changed to after the pop idol failed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_X_Factor_(UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Pop Idol (the original UK show which spawned all the Idol shows in other countries) wasn't a failure - far from it. But Simon didn't own the show so he saw an opportunity to make more cash by creating his own version of the show :D

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

jesuspeace34 wrote:
Yorkie wrote:

What's the x factor? If Simon's in a new show, I'd like to see it.
Pop Idol was a show in the UK which has basically been recreated around the world (e.g. American Idol). The show stopped in the UK after two seasons because Simon saw the opportunity to make more money for himself by doing a show he owned (Simon Fuller created Pop Idol so he gets a large chunk of the cash).

XFactor is Simon's UK show which he is bringing to the States next year (thisis his final season of American Idol). Basically there are four judges looking for four categories of act - Boys aged 16-24, Girls aged 16 -24, over 25's and groups.

Auditions are the same as Idol (although last year they started doing the auditions in front of a live audience like in America's Got Talent). They go through to a next round (Hollywood), then they get reduced to 6 acts in each category. The four judges then get give a category to mentor and they select the final three acts for their category.

Then it goes to live shows, judge picks each acts song, they sing it, public vote, lowest two go head to head and the judges decide who gets booted off the show.

Phew!

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TEB wrote: I haven't been able to get into this years show just yet. I think I will wait until all the initial tryouts are over and they get down to the real talent.
I also think that we are watching the next to last season of American Idol. It will survive one season without Simon Cowell and then it will be over. Simon and Randy are really the only 2 of the judges who have the knowledge of music to be making these calls anyways.
I've even heard a rumor of David Hasselhoff being tapped to replace Simon. Oh come on now!! I liked Knight Rider and Bay Watch well enough but to use him as a talen judge?
Simon may be right in what he said. He wanted to go out while the show was still on top. The end will start as soon as Simon's last finali airs.
Nah, the auditions are the best bit of that show :wink:

And re the Hoff - a million Germans can't be wrong, he sells huge amounts of records over there :shock:

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

tcliffy wrote:
Hahahaha, welcome to America.
Well, I have to admit that the British are just as bad. Guilty secret here, but I work with this man.....

[youtube][/youtube]

Although the sad news is that Jane, Malcs wife, died of cancer last year :(

Mercy & Love
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

that.....was just scary