Next Event: 23 Dec. in St. Philips Church

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Adrian

Next Event: 23 Dec. in St. Philips Church

Post by Adrian »

At coming 23 Dec. at 18.30 (local UK-time) Libera is singing the "Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols" by Candlelight in their own St. Philips Church at Beech Road, London-Norbury. Here it is then the full choir fom Boys and Men.
When you are in London or have time, don´t miss it because this is only once a year!!
Even in the church-music they are excellent and you can hear there too the typical Libera-sound.
Highly recommended.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Boy, I wish I could be there. I'm sooo hoping to go to London some summer within the next 2 years, but I've got some debts to settle with my parents. :(
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlAl

Post by AlAl »

Flights from the East coast are not as expensive as they used to be, so for app. 400 Euro you can get to London and back. Also for all continental Europeans there are flights to London and Leeds/Bradford from almost all major airports - Amsterdam, Brussels, Bremen, Prague...prices go as low as 20 Euro with all taxes included for a round trip without baggage and credit card taxes. Here is what I usually spend for a weekend in London:

Flight Bremen - London round trip - 20 Euro / 15 Pounds / 35$
In-London transport - 45 Euro / 28 Pounds / 70$
Accommodation - 60 Euro per night / 45 Pounds / 90$ - Better location goes as much as 70 Pounds per night in a B&B
Food & Drink - 20 Euro per day / 15 Pounds / 35$

Total for a weekend (Fri-Sun) - app. 220 Euro / 150 Pounds / 330$

When I traveled to Harrogate it was a bit more as I had to get a last minute room for 60 Pounds and the flight was around 70 Euro.

When the next concert comes and someone wants to have a trip, call me as I have a friend in a travel agency who can calculate the cheapest possible route from where you are! :)))
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Do they sing lots of christmas carols? I bet the church is packed out tonight. It takes an earthquake to get me into the Christmas spirit, but I think they could just about do it. Shame I can't be there.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

well, I don't know about the next concert, but I'm hoping to go to London next summer or next Christmas, whenever I'm able to afford it. I actually want to go to medical school there but things seem to be completely different than over here. I need to make a trip to speak with some university people about whether or not it would be possible to do med. school in the U.K.
AlAl

Post by AlAl »

To be honest I think you will face a lot of difficulties with the educational system in the UK, it is much more intense and stressful than what you have in the US...the only think is that you can drink alcohol at 18...and if you go on a trip to Holland smoke pot...I have seen a lot of American pot tourists here...going on a study abroad and not even visiting the university building. Anyways, for med school its even more complicated.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

The British do not encourage Americans to apply to their medical schools. They take few if any American applicants. AFAIK all of their medical schools are government owned and run. They have no interest in training Americans because Americans will simply go back to the US, wasting the money spent on their education by the British taxpayer. In the UK medical students enter right out of their equivalent to high school. The MD degree is a 6 year program. It would be a bit unfair if they were forced to compete with Americans who had a 4 year bachelor's degree already.

If you're in the situation where you need to look outside of the US for medical education I'd recommend St. George's School of Medicine in Grenada, West Indies. It's run by private American investors, has a fully staffed fully qualified faculty, most of whom have doctoral degrees from US or Commonwealth Universities in their respective subjects, and provides clinicals in American or British hospitals for clinical training.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Well, thanks for all the information. I've been trying to figure some of this stuff out for a while. It would indeed be very difficult for me to go over there o study anyway. I'll probably end up staying right where I am at the University of South Florida School of Medicine when I graduate. It's all in the Lord's hands though.