Favourite Christmas Songs

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Quinnsome
Silver Member

Favourite Christmas Songs

Post by Quinnsome »

Hey everyone, just wondering if you fellow forum members had any favourite Christmas songs. Traditional carols, comtemporary arrangements of old classics, new holiday tunes... any Christmas songs whatsoever! Does anyone have any they would like to share? :D
dillonryan

Post by dillonryan »

my favorite christmas carol would have to be oncein royal davids city. especially when josh sings it solo! :wink:
Quinnsome
Silver Member

Post by Quinnsome »

I like too many Christmas carols. :lol:

I love Casting Crowns' version of I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day. The boys' choir is magnificent.
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

I always liked Silent Night, and after listening to Josh's solo in Once in Royal David's City.. I'm starting to like that song too.. And I like White Christmas too, hmm.. actually any Christmas song that is sung by Libera.. I like them all!
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

dillonryan wrote:my favorite christmas carol would have to be once in royal davids city. especially when josh sings it solo! :wink:
I quite agree !!

I love Christmas Carols, always have, always will. My favourites would be

1. O holy night

2. Once in Royal David's City

3. Little Drummer Boy

4. Silent Night/Stille Nacht

5. O Tannenbaum

6. Mary's boy child

7. Away in a Manger

I could just keep going......
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

Favourite Christmas Songs (not in any particular order):

After 10 years in a Catholic grammer school having to sing some secular Christmas songs over and over again with maybe 2 out of 30 people singing in key, I have no real love for most secular Christmas songs. That is further intensified by 2 or 3 radio stations playing only Christmas songs from November 1st through Christmas, 24 hours a day. With that being said here they are, with arrangements by those in parentheses (if I know who the arranger is)

1) Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day (John Gardner)
2) Gaudete (Prizeman, so Libera's version)
3) Sing We Now of Christmas
4) O Holy Night (though it must be a good arrangement)
5) O Come All Ye Faithful (Willcocks)
6) Hark the Herald Angels Sing (Willcocks)
7) O Little Town of Bethlehem (Willcocks)
8) Carol of the Bells
9) Gesu Bambino
10) Night of Silence/Silent Night (the counterpoint sounds beautiful)

There are many others, but the ones above are picked mainly because I love singing them (as long as it's a good arrangement).
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
DrewE
Silver Member

Post by DrewE »

There are a great many wonderful Christmas carols, so any reasonably short list is woefully incomplete. However, a few of my favorites are these:

O Come, All Ye Faithful
Hark, the Herald Angles Sing
Do You See What I See?
Good Christian Men, Rejoice

Another favorite Christmas composition is Gustav Holst's choral fantasy "Christmas Day", which combines four or so carols.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

hmm... well, before I heard the Angel Voices 3 album, I only knew a few (you know those few that they keep playing over and over on the radio) but I am now so much more versed in a bunch and can narrow my favorites down to these though these certainly aren't the only ones...
1.) Mistletoe and Wine
2.) Gaudate
3.) Saviors Day
4.) Hark, the Herald...
5.) Do you hear what I hear
6.) Good King Wenceslas
7.) O Little Town Of Bethlehem
8.) O Come All Ye Faithful
9.) Silent Night
10.) *last one I'll mention here* While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks By Night
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Hmmm..... in no paticular order:

Carol of the Bells (Vienna Boy's Choir version)
Sleigh Ride (Vienna Boy's Choir version)
O Holy Night (Vienna Boy's Choir version)
While Shepherd's Watched Their Flocks By Night (Libera's version)
Once In Royal David's City (Libera's version)

and more.....
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

I love Christmas songs so much that I play them any time of the year when I feel like it.

My favorites would be Silent Night, O come, O come, Emmanuel (although it's really an Advent hymn), Gaudete, and a few other Filipino Christmas carols.
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen is my favorite Christmas song. Mannheim Steamroller has 2 different versions of this tune and Al Pitrelli of Trans-Siberian Orchestra does a wonderful acoustic version.

Needless to say, our boys singing it on Christmas Cooks is one of the best.

I agree with the sentiment that Christmas music should be enjoyed all year long.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
libera36

Post by libera36 »

I'm with TEB, Christmas music should DEFINITELY be enjoyed all year round.... I listen to Christmas music as much as possible during the holidays, with family, and then I listen to it on my own pretty much year round!! Though, I don't think public places (grocery stores, malls...) should start playing it until after Thanksgiving....
Quinnsome
Silver Member

Post by Quinnsome »

I am not very fond of secular Christmas songs, either. Then again, it always depends on the singer/choir and arrangement. Even the classic carols can be mutilated if they are not done well. The St. Philips Boys Choir does an excellent job, however... :P

I love so many Christmas carols, for example, What Child is This?, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, There's a Song in the Air, O Little Town of Bethlehem, O Come, O Come Emmanuel...

And Christmas / Sarajevo 12/24 by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra (one of the very few of their songs that I enjoy) is awesome. 8)
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

libera36 wrote:I'm with TEB, Christmas music should DEFINITELY be enjoyed all year round.... I listen to Christmas music as much as possible during the holidays, with family, and then I listen to it on my own pretty much year round!! Though, I don't think public places (grocery stores, malls...) should start playing it until after Thanksgiving....
My friends think it's funny that I listen to it all year long. I just ignore them. :P Other than Libera's music, Christmas songs are a surefire way to cheer me up. :lol: Although yes, it'd be a little stupid to play them in public places before advent season.
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

libera36 wrote: Carol of the Bells (Vienna Boy's Choir version)
Sleigh Ride (Vienna Boy's Choir version)
O Holy Night (Vienna Boy's Choir version)
hmmm .... you wouldn't be a fan of the Vienna Boy's Choir by any chance :lol: