Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

...and it was well worth it. If you like this type of music sung by a top notch Anglican choir I can recommend this CD to you.
Last edited by Yorkie on Wed May 26, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
heeh91
Silver Member

Post by heeh91 »

i found this video of the phoenix boys choir(from the US) singing a version of what i believe is "sakura." not libera's version of course, since rp wrote it. but it's always cool to hear a choir do a similar song.

looks as if the choir is on an asia tour.

[youtube][/youtube]
heeh91
Silver Member

Post by heeh91 »

ah found another great video by the phoenix boys choir from an international tour. they are doing mozart's ave verum.

[youtube][/youtube]

one of the best american boy choirs i have heard. most lack that certain european treble quality(ya know..it just sounds different..ehhh) but they seem to have it. :D
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

Heeh91 i agree but it could be that our American Boys have that quality just for some stupid reason we can't help them reach that quality -_-
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Here is another young singer I love to listen too!

[youtube][/youtube]
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

libera36 wrote:Here is another young singer I love to listen too!

[youtube][/youtube]

wow.....Brilliant! so much talent now adays during a time where good music is rarely appreciated.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

irishoreo wrote:Heeh91 i agree but it could be that our American Boys have that quality just for some stupid reason we can't help them reach that quality -_-
The English Cathedral/college choir sound is unique, continental Europe has a different sound. And all boy choirs (no adults) sound different again. In the end it just comes down to training and the particular sound you want to have.

I need to listen to the ABC stuff a bit more, the bits I've heard didn't thrill me. But at the end of the day it just comes down to personal taste. I understand their is a Cathedral Choir in New York that is excellent and sounds very much like the stuff over here in England (wish I could remember the name).

#edit# I did remember - St Thomas'

Mercy & Love
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

There is also in New York City, The Choisters of Saint Bartholomew's Church. Trans-Siberian Orchestra has used them as back up singers as well as The American Boy Choir. They used the Choristers of Saint B's on their song, Christmas Canon which, just like Sanctus, is based on Pachabel's Canon. Christmas Canon is on The Christmas Attic cd by TSO.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

I don't know if this singer has been mentioned, but I found this video on Youtube a little while back, and I like this artist's voice a lot. His name is Maxence Hayek. For some reason the video shows the French subtitles and then a random Spanish translation pops up in the corner, but that's OK I guess.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

TEB wrote:There is also in New York City, The Choisters of Saint Bartholomew's Church. Trans-Siberian Orchestra has used them as back up singers as well as The American Boy Choir. They used the Choristers of Saint B's on their song, Christmas Canon which, just like Sanctus, is based on Pachabel's Canon. Christmas Canon is on The Christmas Attic cd by TSO.

You're right Tom, i just looked at the CDs for TSO that I have and they are credited....can't believe i didnt notice that before -_-
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Just took delivery of a fantastic new CD - Agnus Dei, music to soothe the soul by the choir of New College, Oxford.

If you like Anglican choirs I really can't recommend this enough. Beautiful renditions of the famous choral pieces.

[youtube][/youtube]

Mercy & Love
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

[youtube][/youtube]

I first heard Andreas on The Merchant of Venice soundtrack several years ago but I'd forgotten about him until recently because the songs were deleted from my iPod.

Anyways, I just downloaded his album of folk songs from iTunes and they're great. For some reason, I have a great fondness of folk songs, especially from England, Scotland and Ireland, etc. although I am not too familiar with many songs yet.

I wanted to find "My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose" on Youtube to post, but I couldn't find it so I posted this instead. I really like Andreas' countertenor voice. I find it very smooth and almost gentle; certainly I find his tone to be very clear and soaring and I do not think his high notes sound harsh or forced at all.
et cantate Domino gloria
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

[youtube][/youtube]

The King's Singers...another group I enjoy listening to when I'm not listening to Libera. And I believe Libera sang this song on an earlier album.
et cantate Domino gloria
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

Jenn wrote:I'm a huge fan of Andrew Swait. I have a couple of his solo CDs and have been trying to get my hands on his latest one/last one as a treble. He has quite possibly the *perfect* treble voice. I highly recommend picking up Light of the World from itunes. It's by The Abbey School Choir, which unfortunately closed before the end of Andrew's "career". He was 10 when he sang for that CD and it's absolutely amazing.
I am also a huge fan of the CD "Light of the World" and I would even go as far as to say that it is one of the finest compilations of treble music, of it's type, that I have heard.

IMHO, Andrew Swait's acapella version of 'Amazing Grace' is THE best I have ever heard. It is wonderful !!
Yorkie wrote:Got it in the post today - just about to take my first listen :D
I would love to hear what you thought of it Yorkie?

Does anyone else have this CD??
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

I was thinking about this after posting the previous response to Jenn/Yorkie.....

There are/have been some really, really, amazing treble singers (as opposed to boy singers) come through from a cathedral/church/sacred background. I have only been a fan of treble music for about 3-4 years so have had a limited history/exposure to music of this style/type.

I have listed below some of the trebles who have made a huge impact either as soloists or as head chorister:

Peter Auty, Anthony Way, Connor Burrowes, Edward Burrowes - St. Paul's

Andrew Swait - The Abbey School/Tewkesbury/Cheltenham

Tom Cully, Ben Crawley - St. Philip's

Charles Stewart - King's College Cambridge

William Dutton - St. Mark's

Aled Jones - Bangor Cathedral

I would like to know if there are many more out there that you could recommend ?