The Christmas Album CD (2011)

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

hannah_kirstin
Silver Member

Re: The Christmas Album CD

Post by hannah_kirstin »

@Yorkie: King HEROD :D
Have to agree with DearMadine on this. Josh's deep voice, in my opinion, perfectly conveys the lament / sorrow expressed in this song. Not saying that treble voices won't convey the same emotions, but for me a deep voice is more somber and fitting for this. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. Didn't you say once that this is one of your favorite Christmas songs? Hope this version grows on you. :wink:
You are shelter from the storm
The shadows fade away
All cares pass away...
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I have to agree with Yorkie. Josh's voice for me ruins Coventry Carol. It simply does not work on a treble cd to have a man's voice getting major solo's.

Time from Peace is one of my fav Josh's solo's but his voice was not that deep so it worked well and fitted in with Ben's soaring solo . Coventry Carol on the hand just jolts you . You simply do not listen to Libera to hear mens voice's getting a prominent role in songs. Veni Veni is my favorite song off the album but even that nearly gets ruined with the big mens choir at the end , they was not needed and it should of been Daniel all the way though.
hannah_kirstin
Silver Member

Post by hannah_kirstin »

Yorkie and Dani agreeing! :wink:
It's a matter of personal preference, like I said. I love soaring treble voices as much as you do, but this song is the exception in my opinion. :) On Veni, Veni Emmanuel- didn't like it at first (especially the gaudes) but it grew on me. It's just Libera's effect on me, I end up loving everything ! :mrgreen:
You are shelter from the storm
The shadows fade away
All cares pass away...
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Some interesting reviews, thanks for sharing. I can't give a complete oppinion yet until I have the CD in my hands, but I could not imagine 'Carol of the Bells' without the prominent backrow of 'older' voices, so it does work on some of the Carols to have that presence. Anyway I shall look forward to listening to it in full in a few week's time.

In the meantime does anyone here watch QVC ..... you might be doing now ;) Notice track(s) as in plural! I don't think it will be the full squad in attendance but I'm sure they will sound great regardless. Also a chance to win some tickets for St George's concert!
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

What's QVC, Jimmy? Is it a television show? Will there be a stream available? :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

phlibera wrote:What's QVC, Jimmy? Is it a television show? Will there be a stream available? :D
It is a home shopping channel . Its actually shrewd marketing as the target market for a show like this is middle age mum's who will love the cute angelic boys which will result in a boost in cd sales.
Last edited by dani on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
dearmadine
Silver Member

Post by dearmadine »

hannah_kirstin wrote:@Yorkie: King HEROD :D
Have to agree with DearMadine on this. Josh's deep voice, in my opinion, perfectly conveys the lament / sorrow expressed in this song. Not saying that treble voices won't convey the same emotions, but for me a deep voice is more somber and fitting for this. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. Didn't you say once that this is one of your favorite Christmas songs? Hope this version grows on you. :wink:
HEROD. :oops: :oops: :oops:

It's a matter of preference really. Who knows, maybe you'll agree with me after you listen to the entire song ;) Like Hannah said, hope this version grows on you. If not, then that's totally fine too xD
BEAUTIFUL STRANGERS*
http://dearmadine.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

dani wrote:It is a home shopping channel . Its actually shrewd marketing as the kind of people who watch it will be middle aged mums and will lap up Libera which will result in sales.
Thanks, Dani. Is it available in a live stream? Will you guys record it and upload to Youtube for us to enjoy? :)
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

phlibera wrote:
dani wrote:It is a home shopping channel . Its actually shrewd marketing as the kind of people who watch it will be middle aged mums and will lap up Libera which will result in sales.
Thanks, Dani. Is it available in a live stream? Will you guys record it and upload to Youtube for us to enjoy? :)
I honestly dont know if there will be a stream but somebody in the u.k is bound to record it and put it up on youtube for you guys :)

I would do it but i dont know how :mrgreen:
dearmadine
Silver Member

Post by dearmadine »

I'm really pumped about the QVC appearance. Thanks Jimmy!!
The last time Jackie Evancho was on it to promote her new CD, her segment was about 15minutes long. She sang 2 songs and did an interview with a show host. I'd expect Libera's segment to be same or similar length to Jackie's coz after all, QVC needs certain time to sell the albums :lol:
BEAUTIFUL STRANGERS*
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

dearmadine wrote:I'm really pumped about the QVC appearance. Thanks Jimmy!!
The last time Jackie Evancho was on it to promote her new CD, her segment was about 15minutes long. She sang 2 songs and did an interview with a show host. I'd expect Libera's segment to be same or similar length to Jackie's coz after all, QVC needs certain time to sell the albums :lol:
How were you able to watch QVC? Through internet? I hope Jimmy will record it. :D
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thank you Jimmy for this information !! :D

Seen on their terms and conditions, the competition to win tickets for the St George concert is "open to any UK resident aged 18 years or over".
Luckily I was not waiting for that competition to have my ticket :mrgreen:

Recently Ronan Parke went on this channel to promote his CD, released last week. He got a long interview and one or two songs. We may expect as least as long exposure for Libera ! :D
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

phlibera wrote:
dearmadine wrote:I'm really pumped about the QVC appearance. Thanks Jimmy!!
How were you able to watch QVC? Through internet? I hope Jimmy will record it. :D
Oddly enough, I went to QVC's home page, clicked on "Watch QVC Live", and it works! Even in the US I can watch it! :D

It'll be on at 3 am Chicago time. Anyone else want to tweet while we watch? :lol:
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dearmadine wrote:It's a matter of preference really. Who knows, maybe you'll agree with me after you listen to the entire song ;) Like Hannah said, hope this version grows on you. If not, then that's totally fine too xD
I have got the full album on MP3 8)

I have no problems with deeper voices supporting (indeed it is crucial on many tracks) and the vast majority of my choral music collection is traditional choirs of adult males and Trebles singing together. I'm just not a huge fan of this particular version of Coventry Carol, which is certainly one of my three favourite Christmas Carols and possibly the favourite.

It is of course about personal preference - it is impossible to please everybody all of the time. But playing Devil's advocate on this one (fasten your seatbelts because this is going to get bumpy) would people's opinions be different if it wasn't Josh singing?

grabs hard hat and runs for cover
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dearmadine
Silver Member

Post by dearmadine »

Yorkie wrote: But playing Devil's advocate on this one (fasten your seatbelts because this is going to get bumpy) would people's opinions be different if it wasn't Josh singing?

grabs hard hat and runs for cover
If I get to hear another Libera boy sing, I'll give you my opinion on which one I prefer.
Can't say much about what hasn't happened :p
BEAUTIFUL STRANGERS*