The Christmas Album CD (2011)

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member

Re: The Christmas Album CD

Post by dani »

Sooo anymore reviews ?

surely more members have the album by now???
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

dani wrote:Sooo anymore reviews ?

I will write mine, this weekend. I'm not very good at it. But I'll give it a try!!! :roll:
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here but you’ll never be alone here
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

LennesSL wrote:
dani wrote:Sooo anymore reviews ?

I will write mine, this weekend. I'm not very good at it. But I'll give it a try!!! :roll:

Yay!!!!

I am sure your review will be fine :)
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

I only listened to the Christmas album for the first time tonight. I mean, aside from Joy to the World and the little preview snippets from Amazon. Before the concert, I was torn between getting the CD and staying away from it until I hear the live version during the concert. In the end, the element of surprise won out. So I basically went into the concert not having heard Libera’s interpretations of these carols previously. Worked pretty well, I think, except that you find that listening to them once is not enough.

I finally got the chance tonight to sit down and just listen to the whole CD that I bought during the M&G. Here are some of my impressions:

1. Joy to the World – This was the perfect teaser song to release. From the very beginning, you know you are in for a magical treat. The harmonies make it a uniquely Libera number. Also love the recorder on the background. I think the low voices in the end provide great texture to the melody.

2. Still, Still, Still – Pretty much whatever I wrote for the concert review. It’s a very sweet number and Ralph’s solo is very moving, as if he’s telling you a story, except he’s doing it in song.haha. And again, I just really find the mixture of low and high voices fascinating.

3. Carol of the Bells – Listening to the CD makes me even more impressed at their concert performance. It’s as perfect as the CD version, or even better since it was live and all. I adore their interpretation of this song. It’s so stunning and spell-binding. The beat is awesome, the descants are brilliant, the Libera harmonies just work so perfectly in this song. And of course, we are treated to lovely solos from Stefan, Ralph and Cassius.

4. Veni, Veni, Emmanuel - Wow, Daniel is right on the money on this one. His solo is so captivating. I love the beginning Gaudes and the duet in the 2nd verse. When the full choir comes in during the 3rd verse, the harmony of their sound is just impressive.

5. Once in Royal David’s City – Why do I tear up every time I hear Eoghan’s solos? This is not good, people! :lol: I don’t want to be a walking faucet.haha. Although I’m still partial to Josh’s solo in the Aled Jones album because of his chocolatey voice, I really love this version as well.

6. Oh Holy Night – Ralph, please don’t ever stop singing. Please, please, please don’t stop singing, ok? Love this track. For a song like this, which has been done thousand times by thousands of people, it’s hard to stand out. But this one does. It’s so peaceful; not overly performed at all. I love the sweet strains of the violin in the background. Also love the low voice towards the end and the soaring notes just before the ending. The last “Oh holy night” puts Ralph’s stamp on the song perfectly.

7. White Christmas – You too, Stefan! Just keep blessing us with your music and we’ll all be fine. :wink: From the very intro itself, this song already captivates your heart. Again, Libera performs a Christmas classic like no other. They truly put their own spin to these songs while still keeping to its spirit. Listening to this transports me back to PICC when Stefan sang this in the encore. Ah, Christmas, be here already!

8. Corpus Christi Carol – The intro…wow! And when mini James joins in…so sweet! Brings a smile to my face every time. The simplicity of the background music is really perfect. It puts all the focus on these two boys sweet solos. Just amazing. I love it.

9. In Dulci Jubilo – I love the intro for this. Most interpretations go straight to the upbeat verse, but I like how they ease into it. I find the pace to be just nice. I really love RP’s arrangement. I can’t listen to this just once. Have to repeat it again and again. I feel like dancing when I listen to this. :D

10. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Mini James’ voice is really so soothing on this one. Ralph’s voice is just a little thin on the refrain but still beautiful. If mini James really has left the choir, all I can say is thank you very much for sharing your sweet voice to us. You are one of the kindest, cutest little kids I’ve had the privilege to meet.

11. Sing the Story – I really only got to hear Luke’s voice clearly for the first time in the Manila concert. I think it’s very beautiful and clear and it shows in this song. And I really love the words from RP. They are so meaningful and beautiful.

12. Coventry Carol – Well, what a trio! Love Stefan’s solo intro, his duet with Ralph, and then Josh’s solo. I really find his new voice soothing and captivating. Amazing blending among these three, really…achingly beautiful.

The deep voice in the middle surprised me a bit.hehe. I’m on the fence on this one, although it does fit the lyrics and the blending was still pretty good, especially with Stefan’s voice floating in the background. :D

13. The First Nowell – I love this piece as well. Impossible not to. And Freddie’s solo is the delicious icing on the cake. I wish I could hear more of his maturing voice. It sounds like it’s getting to that phase when a boy’s voice is very beautiful just before it changes. Reminds me of Joe Snelling’s voice just before he left the choir…

14. Jubilate Deo – I’m a big fan of this piece! Heard it for the first time in the Manila concert as well and the beginning Alleluia’s brought chills up my spine! (anyone who went there who can tell who did the alleluias?). Jakob’s solo in this one is so beautiful! I really wish he could have joined the Philippine tour and sung Lead, Kindly Light. :) Anyway, I adore the soaring melodies of this, and how it really builds up towards the end.

15. While Shepherds Watch – One of my fave carols as well. Cassius’ voice bears a slight resemblance to Mini Ben’s in 2008 but still different. I really appreciate how they seamlessly pass on these solos from one generation to the next, making the songs the same, but different. I love the low voices in the end as well. I wish they would make videos of these numbers!

16. Lullabye – Well, we’ve all analysed this to death.. :) Not quite sure what it is doing in a Christmas album, but I’m not complaining! His vibrato in the end still gets me every time. *sniffs*

This album is surely a keeper. Libera is successful in making the songs their own with the lovely harmonies that they are known for. I also like the simple settings of most of the songs, except for obvious pieces like Joy to the World and Carol of the Bells. It puts a lot more emphasis on the boys’ voices instead of on the arrangements. I also enjoyed listening to the low voices all throughout the CD. I think they are lovely as long as they don’t overpower the trebles. So far, I cannot yet choose a favourite track. They are all so lovely.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Nice review, Carina. Thanks for putting it here.

According to Yuki's blog, Matthew R-A did the opening to Jubilate in the
PICC concert.
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

tom413 wrote:Nice review, Carina. Thanks for putting it here.

According to Yuki's blog, Matthew R-A did the opening to Jubilate in the
PICC concert.
Thanks, tom! Then in that case, Matthew R-A, you did a bloody awesome job!
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

Well I wrote my review. My english is not THAT good. So I hope you understand everything. It's hard for me to say exactly what I mean. But I did my very best. Oh and it's quite long.

Joy to the World – Don’t have to say anything on this one. Everyone heard it already.

Still, Still, Still – The start is made with the violins and one melody line sung by (what sounds like) a couple of the boys. I like this small start from the song.
The 2nd verse is sung by Ralph. Whoms voice is great on this song. He has a nice vibrato and got backed by the violins. It’s just christmassy.
The 3th verse is sung by the whole choir. But instead of giving the treble voices the melody, the lower voices sing the melody and the trebles sing a nice descant above it. At First I didn’t know if I liked it. But now I LOVE it.
The ending is very small and soothing.
The song is a kind of slow, but I like it this way. Not to slow for me anyways.

Carol of the bells – Well what do I have to say about that song. I LOVE IT !! I thought I couldn’t listen this song very much. Afraid of it getting bored. But it doesn’t. Love the descants. And of course the fact that Stefan is soooo great and the high notes. Love to hear his soaring voice above the other voices. ( A personal favorite, sorry for that ;) )

Veni, Veni Emmanuel - The First comment about this song was about the ‘gaudes’ at the beginning of this song. I don’t bother. It seems a little bit unfit to the song but it’s not disturbing to me. Daniel starts great on this song, he has a soothing voice with a little bit of air over it. (Don’t know if that is the right expression in english).
The First verse he is singing alone. The second verse he is backed by it sounds like Ralph, but it’s difficult to hear. Also there is a high voice singing gaude through the verse. I like the mystic sound of it.
That the organ swells and the choir starts. With strings underneath it. They sound like they are with 100 people in a church singing. I like that in a song, greatness in it. But I can imaging that you want to hear Daniel this whole song, cause he is great on it.

Once in Royal – Eoghan starts with his crystal clear voice like on “glory to thee”. He has a very nice treble voice. I can’t hear who is backing him up with every sentence.
It’s the same setting a the Josh version. 2nd and 3th verse are done by the high voices. 4th verse the low voices join. And there is a high descant through the verse. Lovely!!

Oh holy night – The intro is done by a clarinet and violins. But I don’t hear the song in it. For me the song starts out of the blue in the intro.
First sentence is done by Ralph, after that he got backed by another voice. From ‘a thrill of hope’ a small Group starts to sing the melody and a Group is singing ‘ooooh’ underneath it. I like that, really gives an angelic sound to the song. After that the lower voice start to blend in. Overal like the arrangement. But I think it could be a little bit faster. Oh and I like in the 3rd verse the staccato high echoing words.
Song ends magnificent with Ralph singing the last words. Really fits the song.

White Christmas – STEFAAAN!! Honestly, I hated this song. Haha, bad memories from a performance I had to give with this song.
But Stefan makes everything alright. He has such a great voice. Can listen to it everyday. They made a little bit of a jazzy song of it. I like it. Wel everybody knows the song. The 3rd time Stefan does the melody line and the rest of libera does the backing vocals. It’s perfect!! Very christmassy and chilling.

Corpus Christi Carol – I didn’t know the song before. So wasn’t sure what to expect except for James and Ralph singing the solo’s. James starts the song with very nice aaaaah’s and all I was thinking was: “WHY aren’t you in Libera anymore?” He has such a nice softly though clear voice. Ralph is doing the verses and James does the Lully-Lulla-parts. The only backing is done by and Harp (is that the same in English??). It fits the song great. It’s a small song, I like it. And it’s has such a nice end from James. Goosebumps everywhere. It’s not very Libera like. But that’s okay for me!

In Dulci Jubilo – I like this one after the serious song like Corpus Christi Carol. It’s a nice pace. Sound cheerfull. The singing is great, it has some nice descants in it. It got me in the right Christmas mood, when everything is cold and dark outside. I can listen to this song like a 100 times.

Have yourself – Well, JAMESS!!! That’s all I have to say.

Sing the Story – I love that song, was really excited to hear it re-recorded. And when I found out Luke was singing it. I was even more curious. I never heard his voice. I like his voice. Nice and clear. He sounds confident in the song. The arrangement is pretty much the same as Michael’s version. This is really one of my favorites. The song is so well changing from mood to mood, I like that. Some parts are kind of light and some parts are dark and very nice harmonized. And a nice ending by Luke. YAY!

Coventry Carol – GREAT intro by Stefan. Such angelic voice and he has got a really nice vibrato in his voice. Then Ralph blends in. Then Josh starts, still has the same chocolate voice. Only lower. LOVELY. I like how he starts alone and every verse there is something new. Some descants from Stefan and/or Ralph. Or they start to sing together.
Then a big shock. A very LOW bass starts to sing with the three of them (It’s sounds like RP, compared to his speech).
Stefan is floating over the song with aaah’s or singing Lines at very nice heights!. Like an angel watching over them. LOVE IT !! What can I say more.

The First nowell – I just LOVE this song. It’s so light and just the right song for Christmas. It’s the right speed. And the build up the song quite right.
One melody line done by the softer voices in the First verse. They put something in it every verse. And Freddie, gosh hope he isn’t gone forever, he does such a great job on the solo and it fits the song perfectly!!! He stole my heart with his performance in Epsom. When I close my eyes with this song on, I can see him stand just like at “always with you” and see his concentrating face when he is singing. Like he wants to give everybody his best. And when he is done I can see him smile.

Jubilate – Jakob starts with the high Alleluja’s, I got tears in my eyes right away! And then towards the end it’s build towards an great ending. I can’t describe it except for the fact that I was crying my heart out. You just have to hear it yourself! Great descants!

While shepherds watched – An oldy. Same as the last version. I like Cassius voice. He has a nice dixy and clear voice. I can imagine his voice on Love and Mercy for example.

Well concluding: I like it. The First time I listened I wasn’t very enthusiastic . I like it but not like the Peace album for example. But now I’ve listened it like 10 times. And I like it very much now. Everytime I hear something new. And offcourse this is not like another Libera Album, because these are already excisting songs. But I think they did a great job on it and WE love it over hear. So definitly buying the CD also. And listen to it over and over again! :mrgreen:
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

A really nice review.

It pains me to say it but i'm not a fan of white christimas. Stefan has such a great voice and should of been given a song that showcased his voice more. I just find it quite bland. Not Stefan's fault at all.
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

dani wrote:A really nice review.

It pains me to say it but i'm not a fan of white christimas. Stefan has such a great voice and should of been given a song that showcased his voice more. I just find it quite bland. Not Stefan's fault at all.
I agree. It doesn't show Stefan full range and skills. I expected for Stefan to have more solo's!! But in the concert he does. You are going also, right?? :wink:
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

LennesSL wrote:
dani wrote:A really nice review.

I agree. It doesn't show Stefan full range and skills. I expected for Stefan to have more solo's!! But in the concert he does. You are going also, right?? :wink:

Yep i will be there :D

I am glad too hear he will get some solo's :mrgreen:
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

LennesSL wrote:Well I wrote my review. My english is not THAT good. So I hope you understand everything. It's hard for me to say exactly what I mean. But I did my very best. Oh and it's quite long.
Great review! Thanks. You certainly can review a CD better than I could. :-)

On Mini-James: I agree. He's showing so much potential! Was taken by surprised that he's no longer with the group.

On White Christmas: It's quite ordinary in the CD (partly attributed to having heard it many times before), but listening to it live is quite a different experience. You will really feel it's Christmas. :D
labbie

Post by labbie »

I agree with what people are saying about hearing certain songs live. A live performance gives an added dimension to the song. For me, a song which illustrates my point is "The Fountain". Although I liked the song when I first heard it, it took some time to grow on me, compared to others on "Peace". That all changed when I heard Ralph sing it live on the Canadian tour. I found myself getting caught up in the emotion of the song, and from that moment onward, it has been a favourite of mine, and I have seen it performed as well in Chicago.
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

labbie wrote:I agree with what people are saying about hearing certain songs live. A live performance gives an added dimension to the song. For me, a song which illustrates my point is "The Fountain". Although I liked the song when I first heard it, it took some time to grow on me, compared to others on "Peace". That all changed when I heard Ralph sing it live on the Canadian tour. I found myself getting caught up in the emotion of the song, and from that moment onward, it has been a favourite of mine, and I have seen it performed as well in Chicago.
I know! I wasn't a fan of Still, Still, Still until I saw it performed live. But when Ralph sang it live, I found myself glancing at the programme to confirm what song he was singing.

Btw, is there any news on when Polyeast will be releasing the repackaged Christmas album? :D Hope they release it before Christmas.
danieb88
Silver Member

Post by danieb88 »

erm so ive just gone on itunes to have a sneak peak at the xmas album and listen to some previews before my album arrives at the end of november and its gone off the UK itunes!!
can any other UK members confirm this or am I just being blind/rubbish?!
Danie :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

It does seem to have gone from iTunes but it is still on Amazon.

I had problems with my downloads so maybe there were some quality issues and they pulled it so they could fix things.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love