Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Post by maartendas »

TullyBascombe wrote:
maartendas wrote:
TullyBascombe wrote: I've never heard this work by Bach before. I'm surprised that it's not more well known outside of Germany, it is one of Bach's masterpieces.
Are you kidding? It is THE most famous work for Passion & Eastertime in the Netherlands. Ah well, what else can you expect from Bach's neighbours 8)
(Then again, who am I kidding - we owe it all to Felix Mendelssohn for discovering this music in the first place :wink: )
Mendelssohn discovered it? Was it a lost work?
No, but it was pretty much ignored until Mendelssohn (aged 20!) conducted a performance of it in Berlin. Apparently his grandmother had given him a copy of the score which he then adapted for performance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Matthew ... ce_history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Mend ... cting_Bach
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Last night I also looked the topic up in wikipedia. I hadn't realised that Bach's music almost became forgotten to the music world.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Discovered via Facebook: Children Medieval Band
They are home-schooled Romanian kids living in the US.
Stefan (9) - Voice, Harmonica, Guitar, Recorder, Violin
Olga (8) - Voice, Keyboard
Cornelia (5) - Drum, Harp

They rock :D

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
And they're sweet :)

(note the changed lyrics)

There's a whole bunch of videos of them playing all kinds of music. I also like their version of Rammstein's Sonne which is even shown on Rammstein's own official site!

Curious to see what their future will be :)
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

I had completely forgotten about this clip – Instruments of Your Peace performed by the Drakensberg Boys Choir in 1992. A very meaningful song, especially considering the time and place of the performance. And the Drakies of course are always great.

The first soloist is Jacques Imbrailo, whose remarkable live recording of Mozart's Queen of the Night can also be found in YouTube.
chris17

Post by chris17 »

This is a pretty cool song, which is a Jewish prayer if I remember right. (This video doesn't have the lyrics, but there's another on youtube that does - that one isn't as high quality though). I really like the boy soloist, the adult soloist is okay.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Frankly one of the few good things about this tedious Diamond Jubilee nonsense was the service at St Paul's.
One song was commissioned specifically for the service and sung by a specially formed childrens choir (+ the choristers of St Paul's & the Chapel Royal):

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:Frankly one of the few good things about this tedious Diamond Jubilee nonsense was the service at St Paul's.
One song was commissioned specifically for the service and sung by a specially formed childrens choir (+ the choristers of St Paul's & the Chapel Royal):
Here's my blog post about the service :D
http://choirfan.wordpress.com/2012/06/0 ... -st-pauls/
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I came across this video of a young Norwegian singer called Alexandru. I clicked on it because he covers a song by Finnish symfo metal/hardrock band Nightwish which made me curious to hear his version. This is one of their quieter songs with a kind of Irish feel. I think he sings it really well with a pleasant, smooth voice and it's refreshing to hear a 'different' take on a Nightwish song. Also, you wouldn't expect this kid who looks/dresses like Justin Bieber to be into Nightwish :D
Btw if you don't know Nightwish or the song it's a nice video to watch and listen by itself.
Oh and it makes me want to visit Norway again :) (I have some relatives up there and have visited the beautiful country several times)

Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Funny czech boys'choir :)

[youtube][/youtube]
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

An upbeat French pop song sung by Les Petits Chanteurs à la Croix de Bois, with a great solo by Baudouin Aube (why does he still not have his own page at BCSD??)
This song just puts me in a happy carefree mood :) (which sometimes everyone needs..)

maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I am absolutely smitten with this piece and this performance...

(with thanks to my friend and fellow Libera fan Frans from Belgium for introducing me to it)
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

The Vienna Boy's Choir return the UK after nearly 10 years, to perform various concerts around the country. http://www.classicfm.com/artists/vienna ... r-back-uk/ Might present a great opportunity for those who haven't seen them before (me included!) to witness them first hand.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I just discovered this Tolzer Boys Choir treble from the 70s. I love his natural sound and heartfelt interpretation and am really interested to hear what others on this Forum think of him, as he has a very different sound than the Libera boys...

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:I just discovered this Tolzer Boys Choir treble from the 70s. I love his natural sound and heartfelt interpretation and am really interested to hear what others on this Forum think of him, as he has a very different sound than the Libera boys...
I started to listen expecting to hate it and I didn't. Actually pretty good. Wearing a bloody terrible jacket though and he could have done with a haircut. Bet he was wearing flared trousers as well.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:
maartendas wrote:I just discovered this Tolzer Boys Choir treble from the 70s. I love his natural sound and heartfelt interpretation and am really interested to hear what others on this Forum think of him, as he has a very different sound than the Libera boys...
I started to listen expecting to hate it and I didn't. Actually pretty good. Wearing a bloody terrible jacket though and he could have done with a haircut. Bet he was wearing flared trousers as well.
Glad you liked the voice though ;)