Most under-appreciated album?

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

I agree with the evolution of Libera sonically......as we all can hear the the various changes over the years and understand the reasoning behind why the sound has changed.....I think Libera is on the right track....Yorkie, I agree with you...Peace was excellent....excellent because the ultmate goal is to create "Timeless" music....which "Peace" has accomplished....because it utilizes more aspects of "Timeless" sounds......Aka.......natural instruments....orchestras...
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

Rebecca (: wrote:I'd say that the newer albums get a lot more attention than the older one's such as Luminosa, Free, and Visions. I'm getting these three for my birthday on the 27th, but I really haven't listened to the whole album thru for any of them. They seem to be a little more over looked, but I think they are just as wonderful, in terms of quality, soloists, and song selection. The newer albums such as Peace, new Dawn, Eternal, etc. probably get more notice for the one fact that they are newer.
Well Happy Birthday, Rebecca!! :) You'll be 15 right?

Anyhow you should love all three albums. I tend to like Free and Visions more than Luminosa. But all of them are very good!

I don't listen to New Dawn or Eternal as much, but Peace on the other hand, I just can't get enough of "Time", "Sanctissima", "Ave Virgo" and so many more.

IMHO, Peace is among the favorites of so many of the fans because it had quite a few new tracks that had never been released before, and the quality of music seems to be on a higher level than anything they've done previously.

I remember one of the judges when Libera competed on "When Will I Be Famous" told them that they believed all Libera really needed to achieve greater success, was better material.

So many of the previous albums contained re-works of tracks that had been done several times before, and I think with Peace, just the wealth of new songs makes it the one album I would take to a desert island... assuming you would have a way to play music on an island without any power :)
"How can the light that burned so brightly, Suddenly burn so pale?"
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

BrightEyes wrote:
Rebecca (: wrote:I'd say that the newer albums get a lot more attention than the older one's such as Luminosa, Free, and Visions. I'm getting these three for my birthday on the 27th, but I really haven't listened to the whole album thru for any of them. They seem to be a little more over looked, but I think they are just as wonderful, in terms of quality, soloists, and song selection. The newer albums such as Peace, new Dawn, Eternal, etc. probably get more notice for the one fact that they are newer.

Anyhow you should love all three albums. I tend to like Free and Visions more than Luminosa. But all of them are very good!

I don't listen to New Dawn or Eternal as much, but Peace on the other hand, I just can't get enough of "Time", "Sanctissima", "Ave Virgo" and so many more.

IMHO, Peace is among the favorites of so many of the fans because it had quite a few new tracks that had never been released before, and the quality of music seems to be on a higher level than anything they've done previously.

I remember one of the judges when Libera competed on "When Will I Be Famous" told them that they believed all Libera really needed to achieve greater success, was better material.

So many of the previous albums contained re-works of tracks that had been done several times before, and I think with Peace, just the wealth of new songs makes it the one album I would take to a desert island... assuming you would have a way to play music on an island without any power :)

Well said my friend!!!
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

symphonica7 wrote:I agree with the evolution of Libera sonically......as we all can hear the the various changes over the years and understand the reasoning behind why the sound has changed.....I think Libera is on the right track....Yorkie, I agree with you...Peace was excellent....excellent because the ultmate goal is to create "Timeless" music....which "Peace" has accomplished....because it utilizes more aspects of "Timeless" sounds......Aka.......natural instruments....orchestras...
Right back at ya :) That's what I would say if I knew all of this new-fangled musical theory :)

I know we're lucky on the forums to have you, with your sound engineer's perspective, you have a feel for what works from a technical side. I hope you get to work with Libera again if they do a U.S. tour this year... here's hoping :)
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

BrightEyes wrote:

Thanks! Actually, I'll only be 14 ;)

I'm sure I will love them all, everyone says they're great.

I agree with you on Peace, it is a great overall album and I love that we got some brand new songs, new soloists, and the live music helps a lot!
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

BrightEyes wrote:
symphonica7 wrote:I agree with the evolution of Libera sonically......as we all can hear the the various changes over the years and understand the reasoning behind why the sound has changed.....I think Libera is on the right track....Yorkie, I agree with you...Peace was excellent....excellent because the ultmate goal is to create "Timeless" music....which "Peace" has accomplished....because it utilizes more aspects of "Timeless" sounds......Aka.......natural instruments....orchestras...
Right back at ya :) That's what I would say if I knew all of this new-fangled musical theory :)

I know we're lucky on the forums to have you, with your sound engineer's perspective, you have a feel for what works from a technical side. I hope you get to work with Libera again if they do a U.S. tour this year... here's hoping :)

LOL....for sure my friend....for sure.....I'm just a novice.....but really passionate about what I do...I tend to be overbearing sometimes when talking about this.....my apologies to anyone I've offended....
LiberAeterna

Post by LiberAeterna »

symphonica7 wrote:
LiberAeterna wrote:Good idea for a topic plumpuff6 :D I was thinking of this as well. I agree with the posts so far about Luminosa and it is probably my second favorite album. Actually, my favorite album is Free. I love all the Angel Voices albums as well.

Also, I think the return of more live instruments in future albums would be great but on a more subdued scale so it doesn't overpower the boys' voices. Along with Fiona's violin I would like to hear more of Steven G.'s clarinet playing. Maybe Libera could even use a string quartet on an album like they did at their concerts in the U.S. last year.

Hey symphonica7! Wish I could have met you at the Atlanta concert as I was there :D Nice job helping out on the sound mix! I would like to know which album you feel is the best mixed/recorded so far in Libera's catalog? Also, do you think Libera will ever record an album in a church?
Wow!!! Awesome!!! Wish I could've met you too!!!!

I think every album has it's own unique quality to it, I can't really judge Libera's albums from an engineering stand point because I only own 2 right now...however I will say "Peace" is supremely pristine, more of the lows could have been brought up...because those are actually the tones that make you feel...but all in all some of the best recordings around.

I'd have to say, unless they are doing a live album, they aren't going to record in a church, due to the acoustics and reverberation....which is awesome in the live setting, but not for recording...I could get into all the nooks and crannies about just recording vocals...but not going to....
Hey thanks for the input symphonica7 :D

I see what you mean about issues such as reverb and acoustics that recording in a live setting like a church would bring up. However, I love the sound that Ian Tilley got from that first Choirboys album from 2005 at All Saints Church in Tooting. A really beautiful recording IMHO.
Sing, Sing, Ye Heavenly Choir
LiberAeterna

Post by LiberAeterna »

BrightEyes wrote:
symphonica7 wrote:
BrightEyes wrote:
Hi ya Symphonica :)

When you worked with Libera in Atlanta were you helping with the audio mixing then? I bet that concert went well.

Do you know if Libera has a sound crew that travels with them or do they rely on outside help at each venue?

I agree that the studio stuff sounds better than the live, probably because of the perfect acoustics of the sound studio and time to record again and again until they get the track sounding just right.

I do love Fiona Pear's violin playing though. I hope her and Ian Tilley have many happy years together :)
Hey Bright Eyes!!

LOL, the concert did go very well, there were no sound issues that's for sure!!

To answer your question I'm really not sure....As it is with most "bands" it all depends, as there are many variables that are taken into account....such as....

1)Where are they touring? Many times the "bands" engineers can't make the trip. Therefore local crews are hired to set and engineer the show..

2) What is the budget?? Would it be cheaper to travel with your crew or hire local crew??

It all really comes down to logistics and cost....

I will tell you this......every show is different and unique and there are always new people working on every show...it takes all the "inside" guys as well as "outside" help to pull off a show.....I can't tell you specifically what Libera does on each show because I was only a part of one.

Anyways, hope I made sense.

And yeah....I can only imagine what Libera would sound like in a studio........Live..........in the studio.........haha....

and yes Fiona is BRILLIANT!!!!
Well I still think your double-blessed getting to see them in concert *and* work behind the scenes.

I know the boys in interviews have said that they never all sing together when recording the tracks. They each record their own individual parts of the song, then it is all blended together to make the final track. However they do it, I'm glad it all works so well.
Hi BrightEyes :D

I was wondering which interview you heard that the boys mentioned recording all their parts separately? Maybe just the soloists are recorded on their own? It would seem to contradict some of the video from the Free promo where you see the boys all together with headphones on and near mics. This is interesting to me and it would be nice to see and hear a little more how these wonderful songs and albums are produced. Perhaps symphonica7 can shed some light on this ? :D
Sing, Sing, Ye Heavenly Choir
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

LiberAeterna wrote: Hi BrightEyes :D

I was wondering which interview you heard that the boys mentioned recording all their parts separately? Maybe just the soloists are recorded on their own? It would seem to contradict some of the video from the Free promo where you see the boys all together with headphones on and near mics. This is interesting to me and it would be nice to see and hear a little more how these wonderful songs and albums are produced. Perhaps symphonica7 can shed some light on this ? :D
Hey back, LiberAeterna,

Gosh I've seen so many videos and it was one I watched recently. I can't remember the exact interview, but it surprised me when I heard it. I always thought they always recorded together until I heard that.

I have to head off to tutoring and work now, but I will try to find it and post a link later. 'Til then, anyone else remember this interview?
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

I think I remember earing this as well, but I'm not 100% sure. I do know, that when my choir had to record the National Anthem last year before we performed at an NBA game, they recorded most of the choir all together, and then the one's of us who would be right infront of the mics reccorded our harmonies seperatly. It was great to hear the finished product. It's possible this is what Libera does as well, but what ever they do they need to keep on doing it! :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Was it not on Peace Delux that it was mentioned all there parts are added together? think it may of been Ralph who mentioned it.
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

BrightEyes wrote:

Hey back, LiberAeterna,

Gosh I've seen so many videos and it was one I watched recently. I can't remember the exact interview, but it surprised me when I heard it. I always thought they always recorded together until I heard that.

I have to head off to tutoring and work now, but I will try to find it and post a link later. 'Til then, anyone else remember this interview?

There's a thousand and one ways to record choirs.......I would agree that every voice is recorded seperately....yes...but also together..... using different micing techniques.....all the different vocal tracks would then be blended....the reason for recording solo voices is so the engineer has complete control over every sound as every sound or voice is different and needs different tweaking...it also gives the mixing engineer the ability place different voices in the stereo field of the track...example....the left side of the speaker or the right side...this allows for every frequency or pitch to have its own little place in the music so that it is audible...hope that makes sense...

I always look at recording and mixing like a pot of soup....you can either put all the ingredients in at once...but the problem with that is that each ingredient might have a different cooking time so you end up with some mashy potatoes and some meat that is not quite soft enough.....if you let it go too long all the ingredients just sort of become one and taste the same...

or you can cook each individual ingredient seperately and bring it all together at the end...so you still get the same dish but you can taste each individual ingredient as it was meant to taste.
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

Nicki wrote:Ralph mentioned in the Nutcracker interview that their parts are recorded separately and then added together a lot of the time. I love how they can perfectly perform all together in concerts and sound just like, if not better than, the CDs.
Nicki and Dani, I could hug you both for finding the specific interview where they said that. :)

I knew I heard it somewhere and I've been driving myself nuts trying to find it again. Anyhow, in searching through various videos and interviews, I found the promo video for Free, where it showed the boys all sitting together with headphones and microphones, and Michael Horncastle said they were recording "Free".

So I think depending on what they're working on, maybe sometimes they're in studio together and other times may have to go in individually to record their parts. I imagine part of that may be due to the boys attending different schools and having different schedules. They may find it hard to get all the kids together at one time.
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

symphonica7 wrote: There's a thousand and one ways to record choirs.......I would agree that every voice is recorded seperately....yes...but also together..... using different micing techniques.....all the different vocal tracks would then be blended....the reason for recording solo voices is so the engineer has complete control over every sound as every sound or voice is different and needs different tweaking...it also gives the mixing engineer the ability place different voices in the stereo field of the track...example....the left side of the speaker or the right side...this allows for every frequency or pitch to have its own little place in the music so that it is audible...hope that makes sense...

I always look at recording and mixing like a pot of soup....you can either put all the ingredients in at once...but the problem with that is that each ingredient might have a different cooking time so you end up with some mashy potatoes and some meat that is not quite soft enough.....if you let it go too long all the ingredients just sort of become one and taste the same...

or you can cook each individual ingredient seperately and bring it all together at the end...so you still get the same dish but you can taste each individual ingredient as it was meant to taste.
And what Symphonica said too!! Thanks buddy! I, for one, really appreciate having you on these forums!

You're a great cook... I mean sound engineer! :)
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

BrightEyes wrote:
symphonica7 wrote: There's a thousand and one ways to record choirs.......I would agree that every voice is recorded seperately....yes...but also together..... using different micing techniques.....all the different vocal tracks would then be blended....the reason for recording solo voices is so the engineer has complete control over every sound as every sound or voice is different and needs different tweaking...it also gives the mixing engineer the ability place different voices in the stereo field of the track...example....the left side of the speaker or the right side...this allows for every frequency or pitch to have its own little place in the music so that it is audible...hope that makes sense...

And what Symphonica said too!! Thanks buddy! I, for one, really appreciate having you on these forums!

You're a great cook... I mean sound engineer! :)
LOL, Thanks Bright Eyes, that means alot......funny thing is I'm actually better at food than I am at audio.....