Oliver!

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

William

Post by William »

I enjoyed it very much although I admit it was a bit slow at times. It was fairly true to the novel, though. It was truer to the mood and nature of the book and yes, painted Fagin in a less favorable but more accurate light than the musical. In the book he was a much darker and less likable character than 'Oliver!' portrays. I guess in most versions you don't feel so bad seeing Fagin get what he deserves but I'm glad they didn't do that in the musical. He was briliantly portrayed by Ron Moody and excellent as comic relief. I am glad that he was portayed that way in the musical version. I felt myself almost hoping he and the Dodger would continue to be successful thieves!

If you have a chance, watch the 1948 version. It is wonderful. Alec Guiness (yes, Obi Wan Kenobi!) is Fagin and Robert Newton (Long John Silver from Disney's 'Treasure Island') is Bill Sikes. And as mentioned in a previous post, Oliver is wonderfully portayed by John Howard Davies. (Who is also excellent in 'The Rocking Horse Winner' made a year later.)
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

Sure, if i can find that version, i'd be willing to watch it. Thanks!
Attende Domini et miserere
Quia peccavimus tibi
Attendite et miserere Domine
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

I felt both the 1948 version and Oliver! (1968) were excellent. Polanski's version was OK but not great. As much as I like Ben Kingsley, I thought his performance as Fagin was campy and over-the-top.

Thanks for the info on the other versions - I'll have to check them out.

Rich
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

Yesterday night I watched the Broadway production of Oliver! in Kingston, ontario (they came for one night in the grand theatre). Paid $59 for the ticket. It was amazing! my first time watching it live on stage. I really enjoyed it--much better than watching a movie in cinema.
Quia peccavimus tibi
William

Post by William »

That's great! I wish I could see it. I was hoping to go to London over the summer and see it while there buty unfortunately these unconscionable airlines doubled the air fare during the summer months so it's likely out of the question right now. Oh well, hopefully it'll come to Broadway at som epoint.
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

William wrote:. . . . unfortunately these unconscionable airlines doubled the air fare during the summer months . . . .
Ain't that the truth. My R/T airfare to London next month is $398. Starting April 1, it's over $600. Jan - Mar are the cheapest months to fly to the UK but if you're in the education field, I understand it's hard to take time off during those months.

Rich
William

Post by William »

Yeah, and June-August it's well over $1000! Guess I'll save for another year.
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

Finally saw the London production of Oliver! and I must say is was definitely worth the wait. A brilliant performance by all with an equally stunning set design. Rowan Atkinson as Fagin and Jodie Prenger as Nancy gave wonderful performances. I got to see the newest Oliver - James Donaghey - who just replaced the departed Laurence Jeffcoate. For someone new, he performed as if he's been doing this for ages. Ross McCormack was Dodger and was equally brilliant.

If you decide to see the show, be aware that the theatre gives backstage tours a few hours before the show on most days. It costs £9 but well worth it. You learn about the rich history of the theatre, get to visit the Royal boxes, and tour behind and below the stage and get to see the massive hydrolic system to move the stage.

Tickets are hard to get but if you can plan far in advance, do so.

Rich
William

Post by William »

That's great. Hopefully it'll still be around next year. I've had to postpone my trip until then. But if it's being sold out that's a good sign! Thanks for filling us in.
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Rich wrote: Rowan Atkinson as Fagin and Jodie Prenger as Nancy gave wonderful performances. I got to see the newest Oliver - James Donaghey - who just replaced the departed Laurence Jeffcoate. For someone new, he performed as if he's been doing this for ages. Ross McCormack was Dodger and was equally brilliant.
Ooo... I wish I could see it :( I wonder why Laurence had to leave?? And I would have thought they would have picked a runner-up Oliver from I'd Do Anything, to take his place. But, anyhow....
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

BBC America are airing something new that sounds similar to this other show 'I'd Do Anything' about auditions for the next production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat...does this sound familiar to anyone or is it along the same lines?

Alright--I admit it: for all my would-be Britishness, I don't watch BBC America very often :(
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

William wrote:That's great. Hopefully it'll still be around next year. I've had to postpone my trip until then. But if it's being sold out that's a good sign! Thanks for filling us in.
Oh, I think it will be around quite a while. 8)
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

Well, according to Oliver boards, Laurence Jeffcoate left because he had a major growth spurt and is now too tall to play Oliver, unfortunately. However, on the bright side, the newly released 2009 West End Oliver! original cast features Laurence's voice for all the songs (and they are recorded live during a performance).
Quia peccavimus tibi
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Aww... well, I think I'll be getting that CD :D
William

Post by William »

Yeah, I'll probably get it too but I have to admit I really dislike 'live' performances on CD. I find the applause, etc distracting and annoying.