What do your family and friends think of Libera?

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

There should be a sense of mystery. Yeah.. Or else he will kind of have some expectation.

Anyway, I'm sure he love Libera. The very first time you hear it, you will definitely fall in love with their angelic voices. Truly remarkable.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

* nudge
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Well, since kjackson nudged this topic, I shall post :D

My family is in general, pretty neutral. My older brother was a boy soprano and thinks Libera is quite cool. My younger brother just rolls his eyes at Libera but I know he actually likes the and won't admit to it :wink: My mom loves them, maybe not to the extent I do, but if she had found out about Libera on her own, she still would have bought all their CD's. As for my dad, well, he thinks I'm really weird for liking Libera and he enjoys making sarcastic comments about it to me. I don't mind though, because usually when he tries to make a joke out of something Libera related, he has his facts all mixed up and I end up laughing uproariously for a good 10 minutes so that he gets really confused :lol: I haven't told many of my friends about Libera because it would add to the list of things that make me weird in their eyes, and, while I don't mind being weird at all (I don't think I'm that weird, actually, just unique) it doesn't make friendships any easier...
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Well I have to be honest: I don't run a promotion campaign for the group...

Texas isn't exactly fertile ground for treble choir fans: announce in a crowded room that you enjoy "Libera" (and then explain just what "Libera" are) and you'll immediately find yourself categorised with...an unpleasant group of people whose label ends with "--phile" and doesn't begin with "Anglo--".

The handful of people who've actually walked into the office, heard a CD, and asked after the group, usually concentrate on how "weird" the kids allegedly are, and strangely, it seems to make people downright uncomfortable to listen to a boy's choir or even listen to someone explaining the concept...so I don't press the issue. Honestly: sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth...something about "pearls before swine".... ;)
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Its really quite unfortunate... People are just too stuck in their ways and their believes. My mom likes to say people need to wake up and smell the roses, and in a way, its similar. If people opened up their eyes and saw beyond their world, they'd be able to appreciate music like Libera.
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

Okay, let me chime in.

Sometimes, I wonder if my family is tired of me playing Libera CD's when I'm at home. But they don't really say anything to dissuade me, haha. I know my grandmother, although she doesn't really know the choir, likes it. She commented before that it was heavenly music. My eldest sister, I don't know yet. She knows I'm a fan but I don't know if she's listened to their music. She did surprise me though, because on the last night that they were here visiting me, she asked if I wanted anything, and I told her I wanted to buy Free/Visions because the music store was along the way to the place we wanted to walk to. I had a hard time deciding which one to buy and she told me to just get the two. :lol: She has a copy of the songs so I hope she'll listen to it some time.

My other sister knows how big a fan I am. She's listened to it before and I made her watch the Christmas Carols DVD and the Songs of Praise Special. I think she likes them but is not as interested as I am.

Now my youngest brother (12 yrs old) is the most interesting. He started thinking it was for sissies, but everytime he has a hard time sleeping at night, I always tell him to listen to Libera and that's the only time he's willing. But after my endless speeches and after showing him some of the boys' behind-the-scenes footage, he now likes them and says Tom Cully is his favorite. :P

As for my friends, a few of them know about it. Some of them are more receptive because they are inclined to classical music. The others only have passing interest although they do give nice comments when they listen to it.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

In general, young people my age are not so receptive towards classical, new age kind of genre of music. They probably find such music too slow, boring or not as "lively or "groovy" as pop, R and B or rock kind of songs.

I agree the part that libera36 mentioned. Yes, people do need to wake up and smell the roses. Life could be a little rough, and when the going gets tough, I'm glad I have Libera to comfort me. I meant their songs. :D I think we are a lucky bunch. You know why I say so?

Cos we "know" Libera, we listen to their songs and they are our "antidote" to sadness, loneliness, etc. The rest are just missing out on something so pure and angelic.

And I really don't bother about others' criticisms about Libera's music. Libera is special and I like the way it is. :D
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Most young people's taste in music improves as they get older. I remember when I was young back in the 70's, I actually liked The Partridge Family music. :shock: Now, as I've mentioned before, have a very ecletic taste in music from the calming music of "the boys" to the guitar rock of Trans-Siberian Orchestra/Savatage.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

libera36 wrote:I haven't told many of my friends about Libera because it would add to the list of things that make me weird in their eyes, and, while I don't mind being weird at all (I don't think I'm that weird, actually, just unique) it doesn't make friendships any easier...
Hey, then they aren't good friends now are they, if that's what they think? You hit the nail on the head there Ellen, you are unique !! that's what makes life worth living. Diversity. If we all had the same likes, dislikes, thoughts, etc we would be just sheep and life would be awfully boring, wouldn't it? If I have learned anything in my life (to date :)) it's that; you are who you are - don't hide it for the sake of others. Stand up and be proud of yourself, if your friends don't like; **** 'em.

I'll get of the pulpit now.... :oops:
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Jude Andrew wrote:
libera36 wrote:I haven't told many of my friends about Libera because it would add to the list of things that make me weird in their eyes, and, while I don't mind being weird at all (I don't think I'm that weird, actually, just unique) it doesn't make friendships any easier...
Hey, then they aren't good friends now are they, if that's what they think? You hit the nail on the head there Ellen, you are unique !! that's what makes life worth living. Diversity. If we all had the same likes, dislikes, thoughts, etc we would be just sheep and life would be awfully boring, wouldn't it? If I have learned anything in my life (to date :)) it's that; you are who you are - don't hide it for the sake of others. Stand up and be proud of yourself, if your friends don't like; **** 'em.

I'll get of the pulpit now.... :oops:
Thanks Jude :D I'm awfully glad I'm not a sheep... :lol: :lol:
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Libera music

Post by plumpuff6 »

Well so far none of my family or friends really like Libera's music. My older sister is like, "They're OK" and my younger sister is like, "Uh...kind of weird..." and my younger brother doesn't really care. I haven't shown the group to my other brother who, by the way, is in England and actually would have chance to hear Libera live but he isn't into choral music at all so he would never see them live. I keep hoping that someone else in my family will like Libera, but...no luck as yet. I think they all think I'm weird for loving choral music, especially with boy choirs. I just prefer boy choirs because I love the sound of their voices; they're so pure and the high level of performance that they reach at such a young age is amazing.

I wasn't always into listening to classical/choral music, but when I was about 15 I started listening to the Vienna Boy's Choir and the King's College Singers and the Cambridge Singers and found that I really liked choral music. I think I started listening to it when I was in choir myself in high school, as I hadn't been in a choir before that, and found I loved singing. Then for a while I didn't listen to any choral music but enjoyed singing in choir in college, and then last summer (2008) I discovered Libera! I've listened to their albums practically all the time since then and have all of their "newer" recordings, from 2004 on, and then one older one from 2001 (Luminosa). I love Libera's music and hope to one day have the chance to see a live performance.

Do you think that Libera will make another DVD of their upcoming summer concerts? That would be awesome and I would definitely buy it.
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

libera36 wrote:Its really quite unfortunate... People are just too stuck in their ways and their believes. My mom likes to say people need to wake up and smell the roses, and in a way, its similar. If people opened up their eyes and saw beyond their world, they'd be able to appreciate music like Libera.
Well said !
dearmadine
Silver Member

Post by dearmadine »

My family recognizes some of the more famous Libera songs since those had been appeared in various TV commercials but they don't know what Libera is :? they are quite indifferent toward music in general anyway.

As for my friends, I only told my best friend about them since I knew she might appreciate Libera. Actually, I played the Leiden concert DVD in the living room while we were making dinner. She said they sound pretty and thought Josh and Liam were cute. I guess she wasn't impressed that much :S

Besides her, I didn't even bother asking other friends about Libera since I can pretty much tell their reaction without asking lol

I feel like Libera is something you have to find out yourself at the right time and right place.
BEAUTIFUL STRANGERS*
http://dearmadine.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

My friends dont like them and actually think all there songs sound the exact same. Being in my early 20's all my mates like r&b , pop and rock music and just think that i have very odd taste in music.
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

i have one friend that i see alot of who is starting to like libera she finds it weird they can sing that high but is in love with love and mercy :)

the others think im weird and dislike libera but hey not going to stop me just cause im 17 doesnt mean i have to go along with the trends < if only more people understood that and gave libera a chance
:D
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.