Movies

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

kjackson83 wrote:[WALL•E is a masterpiece....
I have not seen it yet but have heard nothing but great thing's about it. I brought my eldest boy to see Quantum of Solace last night. I thought it was excellent, a much deeper type Bond movie than the usual fodder. My son was like There was not gadgets ..uh ... I think he was disappointed :D
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

To be honest, I was disappointed with Quantum of Solace too though I was hoping that i would love it. It had too much action (one after the other), not enough storyline, and the directing was just dizzying during the action scenes. Yeah..i didn't enjoy it.

Here's some of my favorite movies:
Musicals: Phantom of the Opera, Oliver!, Grease, Sound of Music, August Rush, Blues Brothers, and obviously....Angel Voices: Libera in Concert (not a movie but i treat it like one)
Action: Batman Begins, Dark Knight, plenty of Bond movies, Bourne trilogy, and many more
Adventure: Indiana Jone, Pirates of the Carribean
Fantasy: Spiderwick Chronicles, Narnia, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Jumanji
Horror: The Shining, the Thing, Alien, Silence of the Lamb, Red Dragon
TV shows: Malcolm in the Middle, Lois & Clark adventures of Superman, CSI

Wow i just named a lot. My favorite movie of all time is probably Phantom of the Opera--watched and listened to it repeatedly. Any other Phantom Phans out there? Anyone else with similar interests to those that I listed?
Quinnsome
Silver Member

Post by Quinnsome »

Elendil wrote:Anyone else with similar interests to those that I listed?
The Sound of Music... Batman Begins and The Dark Knight... Indiana Jones... Pirates of the Caribbean... the Narnia movies... the Lord of the Rings...
None are extreme favourites, but I do like them.
I admit that I like the Narnia movies mostly for the sake of the books (which I love). They're not lousy movies; I just wish that I could like them more. I'm wondering if The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, with a new director, will be any better...
dillonryan

Post by dillonryan »

I like pretty much every movie I see. That's about twenty. Seriously. I don't get out much. Anyways, I recently saw kung fu panda in the back seat of my grandmothers car, without sound. still hilarious! definitely recommend it.
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

dillonryan wrote:I like pretty much every movie I see. That's about twenty. Seriously. I don't get out much. Anyways, I recently saw kung fu panda in the back seat of my grandmothers car, without sound. still hilarious! definitely recommend it.
Without sound? hmm..subtitles?

I haven't seen kung fu panda yet but i think its worth to watch. im not a huge fan of animated movies but after seeing Wall-E my mind is starting to change.
Attende Domini et miserere
Quia peccavimus tibi
Attendite et miserere Domine
dillonryan

Post by dillonryan »

nope. no subtitles :). my two younger bros were hogging the headphones and dear old granddad wanted to talk so we couldn't listen to it over the speakers.
paopao

Post by paopao »

i like patriotic-themed movies like Braveheart, The Last Samurai, Seven Years In Tibet, and such.. but i also enjoy movies like August Rush, 21, Baby Mama (hilarious! my recommendation), Dark Knight, and Mel Gibson-starred movies
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Just saw Rob Roy with Liam Neeson. Got to say, it was a wonderful movie and makes me want to visit my homeland all the more.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

Recently watched Billy Elliot. very amazing movie filled with emotions. they could have toned the swearing down a lot though.
Quia peccavimus tibi
Libera_me

Post by Libera_me »

I like the movie The Count of Monte Christo. I also like all the old animated Disney movies, even though i'm considered too old! But I don't think you can ever be too old for disney! I'm a big musical fan as well,but I perfer to watch a live show compared to a recorded movie.
"There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that reflets it." -Edith Wharton
William

Post by William »

I've just recently watched a couple different versions of "The Prince and The Pauper" and they were both quite good, especially the early 30's version with Errol Flynn and Claude Rains. I'd love to see a theatrical remake of the movie like was done with "Oliver Twist" a few years ago.

BTW, I think I posted it elsewhere here, but I found an off-Broadway recording of The Prince and the Pauper. The boys in the main roles have pretty good voices and there are some great songs.
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

You can never be too old for Disney (at least the Disney classics).

Elendil, if you watch the Broadway or West End show, both have about as much swearing. I suspect it is considered to be somewhat of a norm in towns like Billy's (which is fictional but based on some coal-mining towns). I guess they wanted to create a certain environment in which Billy grows up in, and in today's western society, that much swearing does help quickly define the neighborhood. I'm not quite sure what that says about our society, but I'll leave it up to your interpretation.

Another thought: do you think the dialogue would have been so good if there wasn't any swearing (or if there was only a little swearing)? I have no answer to this, but it is something to think about. :)
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

Mathmaniac wrote: Another thought: do you think the dialogue would have been so good if there wasn't any swearing (or if there was only a little swearing)? I have no answer to this, but it is something to think about. :)
Interesting question. When I attended some of the Billy Elliot Broadway previews, they were still tweaking the dialog and I saw one show where swearing was completely eliminated and the show didn't suffer because of it. But the swearing was put back in, I suppose, to give the image of a rough mining village.

Not to get off topic but I thought I'd mention that in my vast travels around the UK, I have found swearing in public to be much more common than in the US. I'll always remember a London Tube driver announcing on the loudspeaker that "due to a switching problem, we will be delayed. Sorry for the f****** mess". It was hilarious to see the reaction of the riders. Most people just went about their business while others were like 'What did he just say?" :lol:

Rich
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

Mathmaniac wrote:You can never be too old for Disney (at least the Disney classics).

Elendil, if you watch the Broadway or West End show, both have about as much swearing. I suspect it is considered to be somewhat of a norm in towns like Billy's (which is fictional but based on some coal-mining towns). I guess they wanted to create a certain environment in which Billy grows up in, and in today's western society, that much swearing does help quickly define the neighborhood. I'm not quite sure what that says about our society, but I'll leave it up to your interpretation.

Another thought: do you think the dialogue would have been so good if there wasn't any swearing (or if there was only a little swearing)? I have no answer to this, but it is something to think about. :)

Well, although i personally do not like to swear, i didnt find the movie unbearable or anything. in fact, it was pretty funny with the random cursing, especially what Tony says to Billy every night.

The thing is...i dunno, but do u think that if they had no swearing in the movie, then the movie could have been rated PG or something? it seems like a great, inspirational movie for kids, but of course because of so many subjective matters (not just the swearing, but the talks about sex and all) the movie ended up with an R rating.

PS: Rich, that's a really funny story. And the thing u said about british ppl cursing more than US people seems quite surprising.
Quia peccavimus tibi
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

Elendil wrote:
PS: Rich, that's a really funny story. And the thing u said about british ppl cursing more than US people seems quite surprising.
Before I incur the wrath of my UK friends, I should probably clarify what I said. I don't know who swears more, but it just seems it has less of a shock value over there.