Right Now

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Right Now

Post by maartendas »

Jenn wrote:This is completely random but...I'm looking at different study abroad programs trying to find something that I can qualify for (and afford) to go to uni in London for a semester or year. And of course the vast number of programs I've found in a brief search has made me WAYYYY too excited even though I'm a couple years from being able to go. Thoughts of getting to go to an Evensong at King's (trying to not think about going to lessons and carols) are now running through my head *drool*
What are you studying in? What are you looking for specifically?
I know, I've been to London twice this year and tried to see a lot of choirs and attend Evensong and so on. It's addictive! (and you wouldn't believe the number of great church choirs in London alone)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Jenn
Silver Member

Post by Jenn »

I'm currently working towards an associates degree in Computer Science. Then I'll transfer to a 4 year university for a bachelors in computer science. My ultimate goal is to be a video game programmer..and boy do I have a long way to go! I've only just started. :cry: I did find a program that would put me in University of Westminster to continue my computer science studies and I have the GPA for it so it will all come down to a matter of finances.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Sounds great. I know you can study Game Design in the Netherlands - it's not academic, but 'higher professional education', so you learn mostly practical things, and less theory. I'm not sure but I think you don't need a degree to study that one.
I always think you're lucky if you're good with computers, because people like you will be in demand for a long time to come :) Maybe you could get a grant, or is that not necessary?
Jenn
Silver Member

Post by Jenn »

For now I unfortunately don't qualify for any federal financial aid, even loans, because I was quite the idiot several years ago in college the first time (didn't finish a degree). Ruined my credit and defaulted on previous loans. Once they are paid off (under $8k to go!) I will regain eligibility and if I don't qualify for grants I'll at least be able to get nice low interest loans that won't need to be paid back til after graduation. They should cover tuition and such, but apparently to get a student visa you have to prove that you have enough money in your bank account for a period of 1 month to cover 28 days of living expenses while abroad. :shock: It's also possible to provide my parents financial statements as long as they also write a letter stating I will have access to their funds while abroad. And of course the Uni itself has a scholarship that I should qualify for that may cover full tuition and fees so my loans could then be used for living expenses. It's definitely more of a possibility than I've ever imagined, even if it is far off since I have to pay my other loans off first.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

That's tough. I also have a big debt from my years as a student - I wasn't always as wise as I am now ;)
I hope you can get that Uni grant. Either way, stay true to what you really want, that's the main thing :)
Jenn
Silver Member

Post by Jenn »

Thanks! It was nice to be able to ramble on and on about it to someone besides my mom for a change haha.
Szepilona
Silver Member

Post by Szepilona »

I turned my first job application in yesterday! I can start working (if I get it) as soon as I turn 16 :D Then I can save up for a trip to Hungary to visit my sister! (and maybe a quick stop in London too... :wink: )
Jenn
Silver Member

Post by Jenn »

Congrats!! I hope you get the job. Don't work too much though :D
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

Jenn wrote:I'm currently working towards an associates degree in Computer Science. Then I'll transfer to a 4 year university for a bachelors in computer science. My ultimate goal is to be a video game programmer..and boy do I have a long way to go! I've only just started. :cry: I did find a program that would put me in University of Westminster to continue my computer science studies and I have the GPA for it so it will all come down to a matter of finances.
Sounds great! Somewhere between wanting to be a zoologist, a Pokemon trainer and a playwright, the life goal of my early teens was to learn Japanese, move to Kyoto and create video games for Nintendo. I wanted to be the one to think up the next Legend of Zelda. :D

I'm not sure how transferring into any of these universities would work for you based on what you've already done or what your home course requires of you, but if you're interested, here's the Guardian's league table for Computer Science / IT courses.
Jenn
Silver Member

Post by Jenn »

Oh wow thank you so much!!! I would have never found that on my own. I see Westminster pretty far down on that list but I think the likes of Cambridge or Oxford would laugh hysterically at my application. Of course of I am going to go for this, I may as well cherish a rejection letter from them with my name on it, eh? :D
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

Jenn wrote:Oh wow thank you so much!!! I would have never found that on my own. I see Westminster pretty far down on that list but I think the likes of Cambridge or Oxford would laugh hysterically at my application. Of course of I am going to go for this, I may as well cherish a rejection letter from them with my name on it, eh? :D
Of course. I had just been looking at it myself, so your timing was great. Also: would you be paying overseas fees? The likes of Cambridge or Oxford may well open you with open arms. :lol:
Jenn
Silver Member

Post by Jenn »

The programs I'm looking at would allow me to either pay my normal university fees or at least fund the program's fees through my normal financial aid. Perhaps in the course of my studies over the next couple of years I will discover myself to be the programming genius and they will fight with each other for the privilege of having me as a student, haha!
DeProfundis130

Post by DeProfundis130 »

Jenn wrote:For now I unfortunately don't qualify for any federal financial aid, even loans, because I was quite the idiot several years ago in college the first time (didn't finish a degree). Ruined my credit and defaulted on previous loans. Once they are paid off (under $8k to go!) I will regain eligibility and if I don't qualify for grants I'll at least be able to get nice low interest loans that won't need to be paid back til after graduation. They should cover tuition and such, but apparently to get a student visa you have to prove that you have enough money in your bank account for a period of 1 month to cover 28 days of living expenses while abroad. :shock: It's also possible to provide my parents financial statements as long as they also write a letter stating I will have access to their funds while abroad. And of course the Uni itself has a scholarship that I should qualify for that may cover full tuition and fees so my loans could then be used for living expenses. It's definitely more of a possibility than I've ever imagined, even if it is far off since I have to pay my other loans off first.
Dear Jenn;

As talented as you obviously are in this Medium, Forgive Me, But I refuse to Believe, You To Be All About Games!

At any rate God Speed in any and all of your pursuits and Endeavors!

Peace, Gerald.
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

Didn't quite know where to share this, but today my dad an I were out at lunch, and sitting at the table next to us was none other than Sean Groombridge, Libera's North American tour organizer and organist! We talked to him a bit, but it was such a coincidence that we'd see him! :lol:
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Rebecca (: wrote:Didn't quite know where to share this, but today my dad an I were out at lunch, and sitting at the table next to us was none other than Sean Groombridge, Libera's North American tour organizer and organist! We talked to him a bit, but it was such a coincidence that we'd see him! :lol:
Yes I remeber Sean, he also played the organ in the duet with the piano at the Moody church service
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato