Christmas Quiz

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

TEB
Gold Member

Christmas Quiz

Post by TEB »

Hi Everyone,
Below is my Christmas quiz. I did this last year on MySpace and came up with a big fat zero on participation. I hope I do better here. I've had some friends take this quiz and not get all the answers correct.

Please, when you take the quiz, don't, I repeat, don't post your answers here. Send them to me in a pm and I will tell you how you did. I will post the answers here on Boxing Day.

1 - How many Magi(the wise men) were there?

2 - When did the Magi actually arrive to visit Jesus, Joseph and Mary?

3 - Where were the Magi from?

4 - Is December 25th the day Jesus was actually born on?

5 - Was Jesus actually born in a stable?

6 - Were Joseph and Mary married at the time of Jesus' birth?
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

2 more days left if you are interested in trying this. Also, please don't be afraid to use your Bible to help. This is a open book quiz and all of the answers can be found in the 4 Gospels.
The answers will be posted at some point on Boxing Day here in Pennsylvania.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American

tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Well, let's see how much the PK/MK knows, shall we?

1) There is no record as too how many Wise Men or Magi there were. Traditionally there were three but this cannot be backed up by the Bible or any historical reference. The "3" only came about because the Magi were carrying three main types of gifts: gold, frankincense, and myrrh. There could have been any number of Magi

2) After the Magi left Jesus, an angel immediately came down and warned Joseph to flee with his family to Egypt because Herod was going to try to kill Jesus. We also know that Jesus was baptized and that Mary's time of uncleanliness had most likely passed as it was only then that Jesus was presented to the temple. The Bible also states that Jesus had been circumcised. Therefore, putting it all together, Jesus was between 40 something days to 2 years old when the Magi visited.

3) All we know is that the Magi were from the East. No other location can be deciphered. Some scholars and historians point to India and places like that.

4) Dec. 25th was not the day that Jesus was born. Nor was it in the year 1 A.D. He was born prior to 4 B.C. during the reign of Herod. Jesus was most likely born in late summer to mid fall as Mary was visited by the Angel and became pregnant during 6th month of the Jewish calender.

5) There is no record that he was born in a stable, only that he was placed in a manger which was generally located in a stable.

6) No, Joseph and Mary only married after Jesus' birth.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Sorry for not posting on Boxing Day as promised. I was away.

1 - How many Magi(the wise men) were there?
3 is the wrong answer. The Bible does not mention any thing about how many there were. It could have been 3 but was more than likely as many as 5 if not more. It was not safe to travel in small numbers at that time in history. 3 has been assumed as the number due to the number of gifts they brought and the song We Three Kings.

2 - When did the Magi actually arrive to visit Jesus, Joseph and Mary?
They did not arrive on the night of Jesus' birth. The Bible is very clear on this. They went to visit Joseph, Mary and Jesus after they had moved into a house in Bethleham.
As to why they didn't get there the night of the birth, see the answer to question 3.

3 - Where were the Magi from?
The Magi were from the Orient. They were in the East when they saw the star. This also explains the truth on why they didn't get there on the birthnight. You just don't do several thousand miles on camel in a few hours. Not unless those camels had a warp drive engine hidden in the hump.

4 - Is December 25th the day Jesus was actually born on?
No. The actual birthday of Jesus is unknown though some scholars think it was in either September or October of 5BC. The early Christians moved the date to later in the year because the Romans celebrated the Winter Soltice and they wanted to be part of that celebration. By moving the date of Christ's birth, they could enjoy the celebration without taking part of Rome's pagen rituals.

5 - Was Jesus actually born in a stable?
It is unknown if Jesus was born in a stable or not. The Bible only says He was layed in a manager because there was no room in the inn. It is assumed to be a stable since a manager is a feeding trough.

6 - Were Joseph and Mary married at the time of Jesus' birth?
No they were not. Mary was an unwed mother. Joseph was in fact, going to break off his engagement to her since she was pregnant and it was not his baby but God told him to go ahead and marry her and that everything would be allright.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American

TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

My thanks to all of you who took part in this. I am afraid though that it may have hurt and annoyed some to find out that some of our traditional beliefs surrounding Christmas are not Biblically based. Most of our traditions actually come from the carols we sing. For those of you who were either hurt or upset, I sincerely apoplgize. It was not meant for that. I had just thought it would be something fun to do over the Christmas season, which by the way, actually starts with Christmas Day and lasts for 12 days following. The season before Christmas Day is Advent.

This quiz is much easier than the one it is based on. My former pastor had an extremely hard one and is wasn't an open book quiz either.

Again, thanks for taking part and I am truely sorry for those who feel hurt. :(
Tom B.
Proud to be an American

tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

It's good to know your history whether it offends or not. Me, working on becoming a historian, am flabbergasted at some of the things I see or read about in my studies and research. Tradition can have it's drawbacks and it was good of you to do this so we can study scripture more in depth than otherwise. At least it got some people to read the Bible.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;