Skipped over songs

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

paul30003 wrote:
Nicki wrote:James and Daniel sing the main parts of Going Home now, with James on the part Josh sang in Leiden and Daniel on Ben's part. I personally like this newest version best :D

The songs I skip depend on my mood, as well. The only ones I regularly skip are Rest in Peace and Never Be Alone.
Never Be Alone!

Wow

That has got to be one of my favorites at this time.

agreed!
Deshaun(day-shawn!)

"Music is my Refuge. I can just crawl in between the spaces of the notes and curl my back to the loneliness."- Maya Angelou
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I'm stunned. Can't believe the good stuff that you guys skip. And poor Michael, he must be at home crying to himself after all those comments :cry:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Yorkie wrote:I'm stunned. Can't believe the good stuff that you guys skip. And poor Michael, he must be at home crying to himself after all those comments :cry:
I can't beleve it myself.

Even songs that I have not been to fond of, have grown on me.

I don't skip anything!
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
liberavieve

Post by liberavieve »

Yorkie wrote:I'm stunned. Can't believe the good stuff that you guys skip. And poor Michael, he must be at home crying to himself after all those comments :cry:
Poor, poor, heartbroken Michael.

I came to Libera as a fan of certain choristers, and Michael wasn't really one of them. But lately, I've been listening to "Prayer" and "We are the Lost" on repeat, and it's struck me that Michael really had a wonderful tone to his treble voice— a bit like a cross between Tom and Josh at their strongest. So, I've a new-found appreciation for Michael's solos.

Two that I skip: "Secret" and "Heaven." Sorry, Josh. "Secret," I just don't care for in terms of the composition of the song, and while I quite like "A New Heaven" off of Free, the technoed-up "Heaven" just wrecks a song that could stand so well on its own.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Really ? ... i think Tom has come in for a rougher ride .
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

I don't tend to skip songs, but when I do it's ones such as Lacrymosa and Recordare, because the tone of them isn't as happy or light. At times though, these are the best songs for me to listen to. Also, on Angel Voices 3 I tend to skip Gaudete, I love the more recent versions of this song, but for some reason this one just doesn't do it for me.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote:
:lol: naughty dani :lol:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

Yorkie wrote:
dani wrote:
:lol: naughty dani :lol:

I think so too Dani.....I think there were 3 or so of us that openly admitted to not really caring for Tom too much.....Just my opinion, Tom can sing really high notes sure, but his voice is thin and lacks power, his timbre is not as unique as some of the other Libera soloists....but yeah when Tom does a a duo or trio it's absolutely amazing. Just another opinion, Michael's tone sounds more natural, more boyish?

Also, I'm sure there aren't too many songs that most of us will agree on that we all skip...there's tons of Libera songs I've never even heard or not heard more than once or twice. Leaves more to discover....I just heard Vespera for the first time about a month ago....can you believe that?? LOL
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

symphonica7 wrote:

I think so too Dani.....I think there were 3 or so of us that openly admitted to not really caring for Tom too much.....Just my opinion, Tom can sing really high notes sure, but his voice is thin and lacks power, his timbre is not as unique as some of the other Libera soloists....but yeah when Tom does a a duo or trio it's absolutely amazing. Just another opinion, Michael's tone sounds more natural, more boyish?

Also, I'm sure there aren't too many songs that most of us will agree on that we all skip...there's tons of Libera songs I've never even heard or not heard more than once or twice. Leaves more to discover....I just heard Vespera for the first time about a month ago....can you believe that?? LOL

Yes sometimes the reason why i dont like Tom's voice is because he seems to be trying to hard. For me boys like Stefan, Michael , Steven and Ed it comes more naturally. Look at Leiden and the faces Tom pulls and half the time he looks like he is in pain as he is concentrating so hard.

I think for other boys it just flows better and the sound is more natural because it its as easy as breathing .

I hope this post made sense.
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

I won't argue with that....sounds like a good observation....
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I must be hearing something different, because Tom is one of Libera's finest soloists in my view. I think the three 'A's - 'Air', 'Ave Maria' & 'Ave Verum' are exceptional solos. 'You Were There' is another favourite of mine. His solo curtain calls to 'Sanctus' (performed infront of 60,000 in Yankee Stadium and also live on TV to millions in When Will I Be Famous and Live at the Royal Albert Hall) were superb under pressure.
His solo in 'Do Not Stand at My Grave' also Live at the Leiden concert was stunning and the best performed solo i've ever heard. He has performed the best attempt at a live recording of 'Far Away'. Not being funny, but if you watch Michael's attempts on the two japanese shows he was a bit ropey to my ears.

Tom delivered time and time again, at big pressure moments. The only time he perhaps let the occassion affect him was probably the Kennedy Centre Awards. Understandable given that nerve wracking 'spotlight' moment when a 13 year old kid is standing infront of America's finest about to sing a solo. I would have shattered into a thousand pieces at that age.

No he's getting a little under appreciated here. He was libera's finest 'Live' performer and it will be interesting to see who gets entrusted with that major responsibility going forward.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

JimmyRiddle wrote:I must be hearing something different, because Tom is one of Libera's finest soloists in my view. I think the three 'A's - 'Air', 'Ave Maria' & 'Ave Verum' are exceptional solos. 'You Were There' is another favourite of mine. His solo curtain calls to 'Sanctus' (performed infront of 60,000 in Yankee Stadium and also live on TV to millions in When Will I Be Famous and Live at the Royal Albert Hall) were superb under pressure.
His solo in 'Do Not Stand at My Grave' also Live at the Leiden concert was stunning and the best performed solo i've ever heard. He has performed the best attempt at a live recording of 'Far Away'. Not being funny, but if you watch Michael's attempts on the two japanese shows he was a bit ropey to my ears.

Tom delivered time and time again, at big pressure moments. The only time he perhaps let the occassion affect him was probably the Kennedy Centre Awards. Understandable given that nerve wracking 'spotlight' moment when a 13 year old kid is standing infront of America's finest about to sing a solo. I would have shattered into a thousand pieces at that age.

No he's getting a little under appreciated here. He was libera's finest 'Live' performer and it will be interesting to see who gets entrusted with that major responsibility going forward.
Its nice to get over people's views :D

But for me i dont like Air, I dont like his version of Ave Maria as I love Steven's version 100% more .. But yes Ave Verum is great.

I love his Ave Virgo and also Always with you but overall i would rank him as one of my least favorite soloest.

Steven
Stefan
Ed
Liam
Michael
Josh
Ben
Tom

Thats not to say he is not a good treble but i prefer a different kind of treble.
Its been said by a lot of other fans at concerts that Tom did not have the best voice but his technique was outstanding.
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

Hey like I said it's all a matter of opinion.....Wow! Tom is dead last on your list Dani ! I hear you too Jimmy! All Libera soloists are greatly talented and unique, and we all like them for certain qualities some more than others...
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

My List would be be very similar to Dani's...I'd put Ed much lower though.
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

JimmyRiddle wrote:I must be hearing something different, because Tom is one of Libera's finest soloists in my view. I think the three 'A's - 'Air', 'Ave Maria' & 'Ave Verum' are exceptional solos. 'You Were There' is another favourite of mine..
Yeah, Nice to hear something different :wink:
I do like all the ''A's'', too.
Of course we can find this and that to improve for any soloist at any concert, but he has a perfect voice control and outstanding technique 8)
BTW, I sung in a choir when I was in primary school, but I was so mediocre at it. (close to zero to be more precise)