Thomas Cully sings on myspace

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Yorkie wrote:
Murkskis wrote:
dani wrote:
Yep maybe it will be added next year to the set list. If people keep asking for it a lot like with Sancte then it could get added but you need to make it vocal.

Sancte was seen as too diffcult to sing in a concert but enough people asked we got our wish.
Sancte is just another one beautiful and 'deep' song, because it somehow relates to smth like melancholia and longing. Can't describe precisely :D

If we talk about what could be added I vote for Voca me - this is a priceless masterpiece as well. 8)
I think I would travel to anywhere in the world to hear a live performance of Voca Me by those boys. #sigh#
Yeah, the same wish 8)
I'm already concentrating more on saving, otherwise I'm just a dreamer :wink:
Seemingly It's getting more popular to travel long distances to see a Libera concert 8) At least it looks like that for me.
jesuspeace34

Post by jesuspeace34 »

Hello everybody. I don't know if this has been shared or not, but here is a video of Tom performing Cashmere.

[youtube][/youtube]
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

jesuspeace34 wrote:Hello everybody. I don't know if this has been shared or not, but here is a video of Tom performing Cashmere.

[youtube][/youtube]
This is the same he put on MySpace by himself. Now it's on Youtube. Anyway- thanks for sharing!
By the way, it contains not only the latest song but also a glimpse of a book he might have been reading lately :wink:
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

Tom has a new song up :D called Last Time

now i wish my speakers would work so i can hear it
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
Lexi
Silver Member

Post by Lexi »

kthomp wrote:Tom has a new song up :D called Last Time

now i wish my speakers would work so i can hear it
Thank you! Another nice one! Love when he sings "and I'm freeeeeakin out..."
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

This one's got some Ben Crawley influence on it. :)
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

bar wrote:
phlibera wrote:On a somewhat related and somewhat unrelated note...

It's been, I think, over a month since I listened to "Peace" the album. Until just now. Interestingly, just as when the preview tracks were first released by EMI thru Opendisc in the days leading to its release, I keep on hitting replay for "Ave Virgo".

I wonder if Libera is ever going to perform this song live in one of their future concerts. If they do, I hope they do it in the Philippines as well and I get to attend it.

Yes, I had been wondering that myself. Ave Virgo is sort of that elephant in the room, isn't it? It's probably one of the (if not THE) fan favorite when it comes to Peace, yet it's the one that is consistently not sung live in concert.

RP has a tendency to space the "legendary" songs, I've noticed. He's never too quick to hand it over publicly to a new boy soon, particularly if it's a song that was written for specific choristers. In part I think it's both for the boy's benefit (ie. the emotional blow) and the public image (ie. to minimize comparison between old and new choristers on the same song). If someone, say, Stefan sang Ave Virgo in concert next week, he'd be on the receiving end of several (well-intentioned but unfortunate) comments like "Wow, you sang that almost as well as Tom!", or even a small handful of less-than-supportive comments from fanatical Tom fangirls.

Certain songs are handed down regularly, like Salva Me and Sanctus, but I imagine it will be a while yet before you hear Ave Virgo live.
I agree! "Salva Me" and "Sanctus" both have nice solos but they're not "legendary" to me...they seem like they can be handed to other soloists without too many comparisons getting made. But for others, like "Far Away" and "Ave Virgo" and even "You Were There", "I Am the Day" and "Sancte", there hasn't been too much switching of the soloist. I think for some, like "You Were There" and "Sancte" the soloists changed a little quicker because Libera was on tour and the boys that originally sang those solos were experience their voices changing, so it had to be given to a new chorister quickly; something similar seemed to happen with "Far Away" with the change between Michael and Tom. But I believe that Ben P. and Ralph shared the song in their most recent tours? So RP is easing us into the idea of having Ralph as the soloist?
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
bar
Silver Member

Post by bar »

plumpuff6 wrote:
bar wrote:
phlibera wrote:On a somewhat related and somewhat unrelated note...

It's been, I think, over a month since I listened to "Peace" the album. Until just now. Interestingly, just as when the preview tracks were first released by EMI thru Opendisc in the days leading to its release, I keep on hitting replay for "Ave Virgo".

I wonder if Libera is ever going to perform this song live in one of their future concerts. If they do, I hope they do it in the Philippines as well and I get to attend it.

Yes, I had been wondering that myself. Ave Virgo is sort of that elephant in the room, isn't it? It's probably one of the (if not THE) fan favorite when it comes to Peace, yet it's the one that is consistently not sung live in concert.

RP has a tendency to space the "legendary" songs, I've noticed. He's never too quick to hand it over publicly to a new boy soon, particularly if it's a song that was written for specific choristers. In part I think it's both for the boy's benefit (ie. the emotional blow) and the public image (ie. to minimize comparison between old and new choristers on the same song). If someone, say, Stefan sang Ave Virgo in concert next week, he'd be on the receiving end of several (well-intentioned but unfortunate) comments like "Wow, you sang that almost as well as Tom!", or even a small handful of less-than-supportive comments from fanatical Tom fangirls.

Certain songs are handed down regularly, like Salva Me and Sanctus, but I imagine it will be a while yet before you hear Ave Virgo live.
I agree! "Salva Me" and "Sanctus" both have nice solos but they're not "legendary" to me...they seem like they can be handed to other soloists without too many comparisons getting made. But for others, like "Far Away" and "Ave Virgo" and even "You Were There", "I Am the Day" and "Sancte", there hasn't been too much switching of the soloist. I think for some, like "You Were There" and "Sancte" the soloists changed a little quicker because Libera was on tour and the boys that originally sang those solos were experience their voices changing, so it had to be given to a new chorister quickly; something similar seemed to happen with "Far Away" with the change between Michael and Tom. But I believe that Ben P. and Ralph shared the song in their most recent tours? So RP is easing us into the idea of having Ralph as the soloist?

Yes, I think the performance of Far Away recently in Japan (the one where Ben/Ralph shared the solo parts) was really a pivotal one. Ben is a charming young man but he hasn't got the strongest voice. To my understanding, almost all of his solos have now been handed down to another boy.

I've always had sort of a soft spot for Ben, because I feel that he really existed at quite an awkward time in terms of generational "spacing" (to ensure every Libera generation has a crop of older boys, and a crop of younger ones). He was overshadowed by Tom/Josh/Liam/Ed, so he really only started taking a leading role after their voices began to change significantly.

However, by this time Ben was already 14 or so, so really he had such a brief time in the spotlight. He never had the opportunity to grow into a leading role like Tom or Josh, and perhaps a bit of potential has been lost there. That being said, a choir is not determined by its solo parts - it would not be a choir if this was true. Every boy makes an equal contribution in the end.

A more fair comparison to me, is to place Ben among the current crop of soloists. Had Ben been, say, Stefan's age right now, I think we would've seen quite a lot more of him. Ben's strength is his quick, precise delivery and excellent diction. Exultate immortalized that, for me.

I'll be honest in saying that this in particular was not my favorite Libera performance:

[youtube][/youtube]

Ben is clearly struggling, and Ralph's inexperience is showing. That being said, it was beautiful of course! Even during a period of transition Libera never fails to deliver.

Ben is clearly losing control of his changing voice, which is completely normal for a boy at that period. Tom Cully was the exception, as I see it. He maintained good control to the very end, but Tom was certainly an exception rather than the rule. Josh is a bit more fortunate than Ben in that regard, since his voice is changing very slowly.

I know that it's starting to seem as if RP is going to give Far Away to Ralph permanently, but for once I'm sure if I'm on the bandwagon. Ralph's voice is very pure and very crisp - a quality that may be better suited for something like Stay With Me than Far Away. It's clear that he has a lot of power, but it does tend to be a tad inconsistent. For instance, when he sings "beyond the SKY", he seems to hit SKY a bit too hard. I think the reason most people prefer Michael Horncastle's rendition is because his naturally whispery voice allowed him to ease in gently into those sudden notes.

That being said, he's still developing as a soloist and I foresee quite an excellent future for him in Libera.

I'm actually extremely surprised RP didn't give Far Away to Stefan. After hearing him on How Shall I Sing That Majesty, it seems that Stefan has quite a nice whispery quality that would make for an excellent rendition of Far Away.
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

bar wrote:
plumpuff6 wrote:
bar wrote:

Yes, I think the performance of Far Away recently in Japan (the one where Ben/Ralph shared the solo parts) was really a pivotal one. Ben is a charming young man but he hasn't got the strongest voice. To my understanding, almost all of his solos have now been handed down to another boy.

I've always had sort of a soft spot for Ben, because I feel that he really existed at quite an awkward time in terms of generational "spacing" (to ensure every Libera generation has a crop of older boys, and a crop of younger ones). He was overshadowed by Tom/Josh/Liam/Ed, so he really only started taking a leading role after their voices began to change significantly.

However, by this time Ben was already 14 or so, so really he had such a brief time in the spotlight. He never had the opportunity to grow into a leading role like Tom or Josh, and perhaps a bit of potential has been lost there. That being said, a choir is not determined by its solo parts - it would not be a choir if this was true. Every boy makes an equal contribution in the end.

A more fair comparison to me, is to place Ben among the current crop of soloists. Had Ben been, say, Stefan's age right now, I think we would've seen quite a lot more of him. Ben's strength is his quick, precise delivery and excellent diction. Exultate immortalized that, for me.

I'll be honest in saying that this in particular was not my favorite Libera performance:

[youtube][/youtube]

Ben is clearly struggling, and Ralph's inexperience is showing. That being said, it was beautiful of course! Even during a period of transition Libera never fails to deliver.

Ben is clearly losing control of his changing voice, which is completely normal for a boy at that period. Tom Cully was the exception, as I see it. He maintained good control to the very end, but Tom was certainly an exception rather than the rule. Josh is a bit more fortunate than Ben in that regard, since his voice is changing very slowly.

I know that it's starting to seem as if RP is going to give Far Away to Ralph permanently, but for once I'm sure if I'm on the bandwagon. Ralph's voice is very pure and very crisp - a quality that may be better suited for something like Stay With Me than Far Away. It's clear that he has a lot of power, but it does tend to be a tad inconsistent. For instance, when he sings "beyond the SKY", he seems to hit SKY a bit too hard. I think the reason most people prefer Michael Horncastle's rendition is because his naturally whispery voice allowed him to ease in gently into those sudden notes.

That being said, he's still developing as a soloist and I foresee quite an excellent future for him in Libera.

I'm actually extremely surprised RP didn't give Far Away to Stefan. After hearing him on How Shall I Sing That Majesty, it seems that Stefan has quite a nice whispery quality that would make for an excellent rendition of Far Away.
Yes, I agree with everything you've said about Ben. He emerged as "lead soloist" right at the age when his voice was probably close to breaking, giving him only a handful of months to come into the role. However, I think that his solos on Peace definitely show him at his peak, in particular (for me) "Exultate" and "Time".

I am always amazed when the boys in Libera are able to still sing their solos when their voices are in transition. Liam is a good example. I heard he still did the high notes on "Stay With Me" and "Sancte" and his solo on "Libera" for quite some time, even after his speaking voice was quite deep. That shows great control. And the fact that Ben is able to get through "Far Away" while he is struggling is also a great example.

As for "Far Away", I could imagine James T. singing it. I think his voice seemed similar to Michael's when I heard James T. on "Deep Peace".
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

bar wrote:

I agree with pretty much everything you've written in your interesting and detailed post, but I'll disagree on one thing (and upset quite a few people in the process (sorry Inna)).

I don't consider Josh to have been a major vocalist in Libera. Great kid, brought loads to the group but he had only a minor role as a soloist imho, about the same as Liam but less than Tom and Ed.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Thunderhawk261
Silver Member

Post by Thunderhawk261 »

I don't consider Josh to have been a major vocalist in Libera. Great kid, brought loads to the group but he had only a minor role as a soloist imho, about the same as Liam but less than Tom and Ed.
I can see how you came to that conclusion, Yorkie. His most noteworthy solos were on Going Home and Love and Mercy. He is best known for his smiling face while amongst the leading vocalist group of Tom/Ed/Liam/Ben/Michael V.

I find Mini-James' voice to be similar to that of Josh. Both voices have a sweetness which is distinctly different than that of Tom, Ben or Ed.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Tonight Tom have uploaded a new song : "Right Through These Rings" :)

It's different from the previous, there is lot of electronic effects, on instruments and also on his voice :)
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

fan_de_LoK wrote:Tonight Tom have uploaded a new song : "Right Through These Rings" :)

It's different from the previous, there is lot of electronic effects, on instruments and also on his voice :)
Thanks ., Off to listen :)
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

dani wrote:
fan_de_LoK wrote:Tonight Tom have uploaded a new song : "Right Through These Rings" :)

Thanks ., Off to listen :)
That's nice ! Keep it up, Tom :D
Feels like he was influenced by BenC a bit.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thunderhawk261 wrote:
I can see how you came to that conclusion, Yorkie. His most noteworthy solos were on Going Home and Love and Mercy. He is best known for his smiling face while amongst the leading vocalist group of Tom/Ed/Liam/Ben/Michael V.

I find Mini-James' voice to be similar to that of Josh. Both voices have a sweetness which is distinctly different than that of Tom, Ben or Ed.
I would put Josh in the 2nd tier of Libera soloists in terms of solo contributions. This is more than noteworthy credit considering that 1st tier soloists are the likes of Liam O'Kane/Steven G/Tom Cully/Ed etc... 'New Dawn' was his breakthrough and most influenced album. He was only behind Tom with dedicated solo and assisted solo contributions on this CD.

With the exception of Michael H, Tom and Ed, there's nobody who's done more solo work than Josh since 2006. I expect Stefan won't take long to cement his place in the 1st tier bracket.