Songs That Make You Cry?

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

liberavieve

Songs That Make You Cry?

Post by liberavieve »

Someone's story in another thread gave me the idea for this topic: are there any songs out there that can make you cry? Or nearly cry? Libera songs, not-Libera songs, good cry, bad cry— no shame!

When I was much younger (and audio cassettes were still around) my dad loved creating mix-tapes to play in my room at bedtime. We'd sing a made-up song about the events of the day day, and then he'd put on the tape listen for a few songs before saying good-night. I remember the mixes as featuring everything from Peter and the Wolf to the Who, but one song that featured on almost all of the tapes was James Taylor's 'Sweet Baby James,' which I came to request—and which he and my mother would then play—all the time. It was very much one of My Songs.

When I left my home town for university, the first e-mail that I got was from my mum. She wrote to say that the house was quiet, that my family were missing me and that my dad, at work earlier that day, had had to leave the room when 'Sweet Baby James' came on over the radio so that nobody would see him cry— and then cried again when he told her about it at home.

Needless to say, I can barely listen to the song now. Which is a shame, because it's still a great song.

[youtube][/youtube]
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

Ahhhhh awesome!! Love me some James Taylor! That song will grab you by the heart...you can't help it. Really awesome thread....I have to admit that music can make anyone cry......

So I admit I cried tonight when I heard this track...from my favorite composer and music Idol....

[youtube][/youtube]
"The most powerful sound in music is silence..."
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I remember a few occasions when music moved me to tears. The most vivid one was in 2006, a few days after Christmas. I had returned from Canada that day where I had visited my brother, his wife and their daughter who was 7 months old at the time. I had bought tickets to see a very good Dutch singer that same night. Her name is Wende Snijders and at the time she was mainly popular for her very inspired performances of French chansons and theatrical songs. She opened her set that night with the song Mijn vlakke land, a Jacques Brel song, in Frech it is Le Plat Pays (in English it translates as: My low country, low as in: flat, no hills etc.). It is an ode to the country of Brel, Belgium, but just as easily applies to the Netherlands (the name of the country says it already ;)). I burst into tears just a few moments into the song. There I was, back on home soil again, after a nine hour flight leaving my family behind on the other side of the world, and missing them, and thinking of how my brother left his life here behind to start something new on the other side of the Atlantic, and at the same time I was feeling glad to know where I call home and being there. Hearing that song on that very night - in Dutch too, not in French - just brought everything together and never has music moved me so easily to tears (I guess my jet lag helped too..).

Other examples are Semele, from Luminosa, when I was listening to that album start to finish a while ago. Somehow the words and the way Ben C sings it got to me.

This song recently grabbed me too and moved me to tears:

[youtube][/youtube]

And then there are numerous X Factor auditions where I can't keep dry... but that's also due to slick editing ;)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

Well, Libera's Lullabye always brings tears to my eyes.. due to the fact that it was Josh's last solo/swan song...

Other than that, Don't Laugh at Me by Mark Wills always does it for me.. I can relate to this song more than anything..
[youtube][/youtube]
It's about kids, and adults alike, being bullied. I have had to suffer through this, but it is getting better just like in the song; "Someday we'll all have perfect wings".

Many country soungs will make me tear up, not always cry, but they can get me very emotional.. such as "I'll Walk" by Billy Currington, "Moments" by Emerson Drive, and a few others which I can't think of the names for.
Oh yes, and the two songs "Alyssa Lies" byt Jason Michael Carrol and "Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride both make me sob.. they made my friend, a 14 year old football player, cry.. both are about children suffering through child abuse, and in both songs the girl ends up dying..
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I would say this brought a tear to my eye, its about the devastating floods in Australia.

[youtube][/youtube]
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

This is also a sad sond.

[youtube][/youtube]
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

- Plato
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

I cried to everyone of these songs...... :D
"The most powerful sound in music is silence..."
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Do you know the story behind "Tears in Heaven"? It's one of the saddest songs ever written.
Guitar legend Eric Clapton was on a tour. His family was staying in a hotel, in a suite on the 53rd floor. It was a warm day and one of the windows was open. He turned his back on the boy, for some reason the chid crawled up on the window sill and fell off. Tears in Heaven is Eric Clapton's tribute to his very young son.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/JxPj3GAYYZ0?rel=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paopao

Post by paopao »

Hometown Glory & Make You Feel My Love, by Adele

Make You Feel My Love (Bob Dylan cover)
[youtube][/youtube]
jesuspeace34

Post by jesuspeace34 »

This is one song that I love, but it does bring a tear to my eye.

[youtube][/youtube]
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Anything by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

TullyBascombe wrote:Do you know the story behind "Tears in Heaven"? It's one of the saddest songs ever written.
Guitar legend Eric Clapton was on a tour. His family was staying in a hotel, in a suite on the 53rd floor. It was a warm day and one of the windows was open. He turned his back on the boy, for some reason the chid crawled up on the window sill and fell off. Tears in Heaven is Eric Clapton's tribute to his very young son.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/JxPj3GAYYZ0?rel=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube][/youtube]

- Plato
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

The Choir Boys verion is very nice, but the original by Eric Clapton simply can't be beat, particularily when you consider the history of the song. Here's a song form a Dad mourning for his little boy asking if the child would even know him in Heaven or even if he, as the child's father, would even be worthy to see him in Heaven.
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

TullyBascombe wrote:The Choir Boys verion is very nice, but the original by Eric Clapton simply can't be beat, particularily when you consider the history of the song. Here's a song form a Dad mourning for his little boy asking if the child would even know him in Heaven or even if he, as the child's father, would even be worthy to see him in Heaven.
I agree, but I remembered your post when I happened to stumble across this version, so I though I would post it.

Yes, now I know the story behind Eric Clapton's song, it most certainly brings a lump to one's throat, if not a tear to the eye.

- Plato
Lot

Post by Lot »

[youtube][/youtube]
This song dedicated to Megan Nino Sullivan who died of cancer.
Sorry for my bad english :)