Other Boy Choirs

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

William

Other Boy Choirs

Post by William »

I'm just curious as to what other Boy Choirs people have seen before and their impressions.
I've been lucky enough to see several even though the city I near is small (Rochester, NY). We do have a local Boy Choir and that's part of the reason we've had several others visit. We've had visits from The Australian Boys Choir, Polski Sloviki, and The American Boys Choir. I was helping out with the Rochester Boys Choir when the Polish Boys Choir (Polski Sloviki) visited and I arranged a short concert for my school. That was neat! They did a great job and have such wonderful voices. The Australian Boys Choir was also very impressive.
I've also seen The Vienna Boys Choir 3 times. They are tremendous as well. But as Boy Choirs go, Libera is still by far my favorite!
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Only the Vienna Boys' Choir and if I'm not wrong, Kings' College Choir had visited my country before.

Vienna boys' choir is pretty well-known all over the world, and I kind of enjoy listening to their songs. But the songs they sing are pretty much classical kind. Very traditional classics. But these few years, they seem to have move over to some modern, pop songs.. which is good, I guess. And they do sing chinese as well, in their tours in Asia. They have a pretty accent, when they sing in chinese. :D

Kings' College Choir I'm not too sure.. But my good friend says they are really good.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Besides Libera, I have only heard the Vienna Boys Choir. They have a nice melody in their voices as well and I think they are a pretty good group. They have a nice album where they sing Pop songs which is a first for a boys choir, at least for me since I first started listening to choir music.
MWheeler

Post by MWheeler »

I've seen the Vienna Boys Choir and thought they were very good although I liked the American Boy Choir much better... Then I discovered Libera! :D

I think one of the biggest differences (and a huge plus) is the fact that Libera uses aplification which allows for a much more blended sound.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I agree, that really helps emphasize their harmonies. TheLiberaDreamShop.com will actually begin expanding our sales to include other boy choirs including the Vienna Boys Choir in the coming months. Some recordings we will be selling are hard to come by and out of print imports, hopefully some of you take a look once we start selling them.
William

Post by William »

Sounds great. Just let us know when they're available. Thanks for doing that.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

there are several,

If you're looking for just singers then there are Joseph McManners, Declan Galbraith, Billy Gilman, I also just heard this guy yesterday ( Andrew Johnston)

Choirs:
The Drakensburg Boys Choir (from South Africa, same as me)
Les Petits Chanteurs de Saint-Marc (from France)
Here's another choir, but have no idea who they are but the orchestra is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, so I'm assuming they are Russian or Eastern European.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

tcliffy wrote:there are several,

Here's another choir, but have no idea who they are but the orchestra is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, so I'm assuming they are Russian or Eastern European.
No, the kids are all Americans. This song was performed for an American TV Christmas special several years ago. The "Trans-Siberian Orchestra" isn't even remotely Russian. It was founded by a New Yorker, Paul O'Neil, in 1995 for the expressed purpose of writing and performing Rock Opera. On their website you'll find that nary a one of the group are Russian.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

haha, well that just shows how much I know. Pardon all for my ignorance. It's just several of them have Eastern/Central European facial features. Oh well, they sound good anyway.
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

I kind of remember hearing the Trans-Siberian Orchestra on youtube singing a song (which I'm not entirely sure of the title) but I think it's Canon in D or something similar to that. Gosh. It almost moved me to tears. They are quite good indeed.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Anyone here familiar with the groups "Les Anges" and "Vox Angeli"? They're two new French speaking groups, both quite talented. Les Anges is a mixed group from Canada, consisting of 3 boys and 3 girls. They sing a French version of "Going Home" which in my opinion is not quite as good as Libera's version. I think the translation of "going home" to "reveins-moi" disrupts the melodic flow of the song. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Their rendition of Billy Joel's "Lullaby" is very moving though. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Here are some links to some of their other works: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vox Angeli is French, also consisting of 3 boys and 3 girls. What I first noticed about them was that introductory TV ad featured scenes ripped directly from a music video of an English group known as "Angelis". " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm sort of puzzled as to how their producers got away with a blatant act of copyright infringement. Regardless the kids are not to blame. Here arer some samples of their work: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

thanks for those links. I have fallen in love with Vox Angeli even tough I don't understand French.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

I noticed Vox Angelis album cover was very similar to that of Angelis' too. In fact they are almost exactly the same.
Digs
Silver Member

Post by Digs »

This kid was amazing in his day, unfourtuately his voice broke and he has since went into acting. I see Tcliffy mentioned a choir he sang with in a previous post. I am pretty sure everyone here has probably heard of him, his name is Jean Baptiste Maunier. He is french but sings in english as well as french. If you havent seen this remarkable boy sing you really should check this video out.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Oh yeah! I love his songs! He acted in Les Choristes which was totally amazing! I love all the songs in the show! And he definitely had an amazing voice, but sadly after his voice broke, we do not get to hear any songs from him anymore except some films that he have done this few years. I'd love for him to come back to singing and come out with an album. I guess he's adult voice is more or less settled now that he's around 18 I suppose?