The Music in general

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Quinnsome
Silver Member

Post by Quinnsome »

Liam has wonderful talent. I do hope he gets more solos in the future.

I say, people! Let's get some comments and discussion going in this topic! :wink:
jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Post by jennaluvspbr »

Quinnsome wrote:Liam has wonderful talent. I do hope he gets more solos in the future.

I say, people! Let's get some comments and discussion going in this topic! :wink:
one thing i like a bout liam is that his voice is so sweet and and i injoy hearing hime sing on you tube and i hope he das more solos becues all of them are so good umm being a fan is so much fun becues fans can talk a bout anything so i hope my comments a bout libera and all of them works becues they are so good
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

I have a question that perhaps someone can help me with. Is "Gloria" from New Dawn a Christmas song? I have found it to be one of my ultimate favorites among others.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Tcliffy:
The Gloria is a standard part of the Catholic and Anglican Mass, and is chanted/recited at every service...outside of those two, most people come into contact with at least its first line, "Gloria in excelsis, Deo," at Christmas--but it's appropriate to any time of the year, really.

Wikipedia's article is very good:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_in_Excelsis_Deo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

o.k. wow, I didn't realize that. Thanks. I took an online quiz that let's you know what denomination you are or what religion if not Christian. I'm 100% Conservative Protestant yet I love Catholic, Anglican, and Lutheran traditions and music. I hadn't realized the song was sung at every mass.
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

In Roman Catholic Masses, the Gloria is normally either spoken or sung in the vernacular. There are a few parishes who still have (or added) a Latin Mass, in which case it would be spoken/sung in Latin.

If you look at the composers over the centuries, many wrote "Masses," such as Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Shubert, etc. which all followed the basic things that were sung in the R.C. Masses at the time:
Kyrie (Lord have Mercy)
Gloria (Glory to God)
Credo (Creed)
Sanctus (Holy)
Benedictus (Benediction)
Agnus Dei (Lamb of God)
These Masses are used as performance pieces and not during the actual Mass, mostly for their complexity and it is not a "sing along" type of song, so there is no congregational participation.

Currently in the RC Church, the Sanctus and Benedictus are meshed together (still called the Sanctus or the Holy). I could go on, but it might get a bit boring.
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

The Gloria used to be part of Episcopalian Holy Communion, but it got snipped out in the 1970's Book of Common Prayer. There is one version of Holy Communion which still contains the Gloria, but its only used on special occassions.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

TullyBascombe wrote:The Gloria used to be part of Episcopalian Holy Communion, but it got snipped out in the 1970's Book of Common Prayer. There is one version of Holy Communion which still contains the Gloria, but its only used on special occassions.
That's interesting...we still sing it every Sunday morning--albeit in a rather poor setting...
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

For those who have heard of Marty Haugen, David Haas, and Dan Schutte, they have written/arranged much of the music commonly used in my parish and at the Catholic Center at SU (partially because I'm one of the choir directors). The two main mass settings we use are:
Mass of Creation (Marty Haugen)
Mass of Light (David Haas)

The Mass of Creation is one that probably most if not all Catholics have heard at some point. The Mass of Light is not as well known.

Haugen and Haas (and Schutte) are worthwhile to check out, especially if you want to know what types of songs Roman Catholics sing in many Churches. However, we still go back so some older music (A Mighty Fortress, Joyful Joyful, Holy Holy Holy Lord God Almighty, etc. from the 19th century).
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Mathmaniac wrote:For those who have heard of Marty Haugen, David Haas, and Dan Schutte, they have written/arranged much of the music commonly used in my parish and at the Catholic Center at SU (partially because I'm one of the choir directors). The two main mass settings we use are:
Mass of Creation (Marty Haugen)
Mass of Light (David Haas)

The Mass of Creation is one that probably most if not all Catholics have heard at some point. The Mass of Light is not as well known.

Haugen and Haas (and Schutte) are worthwhile to check out, especially if you want to know what types of songs Roman Catholics sing in many Churches. However, we still go back so some older music (A Mighty Fortress, Joyful Joyful, Holy Holy Holy Lord God Almighty, etc. from the 19th century).
A friend of mine is very committed to the Novo Ordo and the ushering in of more contemporary sounds--I listened around iTunes to the Mass of Creation, and was really struck by the use of the handbell choir. I played handbells for nearly 19 years, the last three as a student director, and am really happy to see those making inroads into the Roman liturgy.
However, we still go back so some older music (A Mighty Fortress, Joyful Joyful, Holy Holy Holy Lord God Almighty, etc. from the 19th century).
Hehe--"A Mighty Fortress" is historically a Lutheran hymn--unique to hear it in a Roman Catholic church.
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

kjackson83 wrote: I played handbells for nearly 19 years, the last three as a student director
wow :o you talent knows no bounds....
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Jude Andrew wrote:
kjackson83 wrote: I played handbells for nearly 19 years, the last three as a student director
wow :o you talent knows no bounds....
Haha--well thank you! My undergrad degree is in music, and it's what I have always loved.

I'm awful at chemistry, though ;) .
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

All you need to know in Chemistry (to have fun) is how to blow stuff up, and how to have fun with 18 Molar HCl (Hydrocloric Acid). :wink:

Unfortunately kjackson83, the handbells aren't normally used, since it is hard enough getting people to sing to begin with. My choirs normally just have piano or piano and guitar. The album with Mass of Creation is quite good, but most music ministries don't have enough manpower to pull off that full of an arrangement every week. (Haugen does like handbells, so you might want to check out his other albums a bit)

As for "A Mighty Fortress" as well as some of the other songs I mentioned, we use many of the 19th century Protestant hymns (4 parts, chord-chord-chord-etc type songs). I grew up learning alot of different songs and learning to balance the old and new, congregational and performance, contemplative and driving/exciting songs.
danieb88
Silver Member

Re: The Music in general

Post by danieb88 »

tcliffy wrote:
Oh, and for those of us who don't have ALL of the cd's... follow this link. You need Windows media player but it is definately well worth it 8)

http://www.libera-voices.org/audio/libera.wax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
im listening to this now, is it ALL the songs from all the albums?! some of the older versions of songs are very different to the current versions - like salva me and libera!
Danie :D
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

^no, it is just a compilation of many songs from various cd's.