New favorites

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

plumpuff6
Silver Member

New favorites

Post by plumpuff6 »

Again, I realize that this topic has been posted already, but I was wondering if there are any additions/changes to your list.

What are your new favorite Libera songs that maybe you previously didn't like/care for that much?

Lacrymosa: At first I didn't care for the song that much when I first heard it on Libera's 2007 album Angel Voices: Libera in Concert. I appreciated its difficult close harmonies as well as the solo part, but wasn't particularly enamored by it. However when I heard it again in their 2010 album Peace, I liked the song a lot more. I think Ben P.'s more mature tone suited the song better. I'm still not sure how I feel about the 2001 Luminosa version recorded by Ben C.

Panis Angelicus: Originally I wasn't a fan of this song, probably because of overexposure--it's a rather popular song with trebles. Anyhow, I thought the Libera version was nice, but recently discovered how much I treasure Daniel's voice, so pure and clean, and quite close to what I think a cathedral "choir boy" sound is.

Be Still My Soul: This song was not one that I listened to frequently, in spite of its beautiful lyrics, but recently I was struck by the song. I really like the part where the lower voices sing on the second verse because they sound so solid and strong, and the high descant in the background is a great contrast.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Mine is Faithful Heart. Never listened to it at but suddenly really enjoying it. Maybe its because i have played Peace to death since it was released.

Its odd because i love Peace so much i have started to find New Dawn quite a weak album over all.
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

dani wrote:Its odd because i love Peace so much i have started to find New Dawn quite a weak album over all.
Hmm...interesting. I don't know if I'd say that New Dawn is a weak album, because it has some great moments in it (IMHO), especially in Liam and Tom's "Sancte" and Tom's "Ave Maria" and Tom, Josh, Ed and Liam in "Air", but I guess I get what you're getting at. Peace just seems to have a whole new sound to it, with new songs and a different style, much more similar to their earlier work, I think. Not to mention there was a massive changing of the guard from the 2008 New Dawn album. That might have something to do with the changed sound!

That being said I love Stefan's solo work on Peace--he's really such an anchor now with all the solos he has. But I also like how the other boys are getting the chance to solo as well. Mini-James and Ralph have really stepped up in that way, and I'd love to see Kavana, Freddie and Daniel do more solo work.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

plumpuff6 wrote:
dani wrote:Its odd because i love Peace so much i have started to find New Dawn quite a weak album over all.
Hmm...interesting. I don't know if I'd say that New Dawn is a weak album, because it has some great moments in it (IMHO), especially in Liam and Tom's "Sancte" and Tom's "Ave Maria" and Tom, Josh, Ed and Liam in "Air", but I guess I get what you're getting at. Peace just seems to have a whole new sound to it, with new songs and a different style, much more similar to their earlier work, I think. Not to mention there was a massive changing of the guard from the 2008 New Dawn album. That might have something to do with the changed sound!

That being said I love Stefan's solo work on Peace--he's really such an anchor now with all the solos he has. But I also like how the other boys are getting the chance to solo as well. Mini-James and Ralph have really stepped up in that way, and I'd love to see Kavana, Freddie and Daniel do more solo work.
See personally i dont like Air and i dont like Toms version of Ave Maria. I listen to Steven G's version which i adore and rate much more highly. But Sancte is my favorite track on New Dawn, Liam at his best. It gets no better :)
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

dani wrote:
plumpuff6 wrote:

See personally i dont like Air and i dont like Toms version of Ave Maria. I listen to Steven G's version which i adore and rate much more highly. But Sancte is my favorite track on New Dawn, Liam at his best. It gets no better :)
I've got to agree with you on Sancte, Liam sounded amazing on this.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

paul30003 wrote:
I've got to agree with you on Sancte, Liam sounded amazing on this.
You know guys last year when i had an opportunity to speak with Liam i told him that i listen to Sancte whenever i'm at the beach watching the golden sunset. The song was just perfect for it i told him. He thanked me and after i turned my back i overheard him say thank you again.
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Re: New favorites

Post by Rebecca (: »

plumpuff6 wrote:Panis Angelicus: Originally I wasn't a fan of this song, probably because of overexposure--it's a rather popular song with trebles. Anyhow, I thought the Libera version was nice, but recently discovered how much I treasure Daniel's voice, so pure and clean, and quite close to what I think a cathedral "choir boy" sound is.
I was not the biggest fan of Panis Angelicus more at first, but after listening to it, and really hearing Daniel's stunning voice I like it a lot more! now it's one of my regulary played songs when I am listening to my iPod! :D
paopao

Post by paopao »

dani wrote: Its odd because i love Peace so much i have started to find New Dawn quite a weak album over all.
yeah i feel guilty for even thinking about New Dawn being slightly (just slightly) weaker than Peace Deluxe Edition, but then again Peace really IS a great album. i think i'm going to relisten to New Dawn and temporarily stop listening to Peace, hopefully i can do that.
Meanwhile, got to love Angelis from Libera Album, so underrated.
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

paopao wrote:
dani wrote: Its odd because i love Peace so much i have started to find New Dawn quite a weak album over all.
yeah i feel guilty for even thinking about New Dawn being slightly (just slightly) weaker than Peace Deluxe Edition, but then again Peace really IS a great album. i think i'm going to relisten to New Dawn and temporarily stop listening to Peace, hopefully i can do that.
Meanwhile, got to love Angelis from Libera Album, so underrated.
Ok, I have to say I have not listened to New Dawn that much, but after reading this thread I just had to check out "Sancte", and I have to agree, it is very beautiful. Also the following track "Rest in Peace" is quite good. I guess I didn't listen to this album as much because I didn't care for "Orinoco Flow" or "Love and Mercy". But there are some hidden gems in here for sure.
paopao

Post by paopao »

BrightEyes wrote: Ok, I have to say I have not listened to New Dawn that much, but after reading this thread I just had to check out "Sancte", and I have to agree, it is very beautiful. Also the following track "Rest in Peace" is quite good. I guess I didn't listen to this album as much because I didn't care for "Orinoco Flow" or "Love and Mercy". But there are some hidden gems in here for sure.
i'm not quite fond of Orinoco Flow either. But if Libera were to release a single off New Dawn, Orinoco Flow would be the lead single as it's a catchy and radio-friendly song, not to mention 'popular'.
btw, does anybody else think Secret's intro a little too high? it's a lovely song, but i wish the "ahhs" in the intro were a little bit lower-pitched.
Libera73
Silver Member

Post by Libera73 »

Be still my soul
Mother of God
Adoro Te

- i never listened to those when they first came out. but now i'm quite fond of them.
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

Libera73 wrote:Be still my soul
Mother of God
Adoro Te

- i never listened to those when they first came out. but now i'm quite fond of them.
Hey Libera73 :)

Yes those are all good! "Mother of God" is kind of a stray sheep for me because it was on the Eternal CD which is one of the only CDs that I did not purchase. Since it was primarily greatest hits, I just downloaded the new tracks as MP3 downloads from Amazon, and when I go onto my iPod I typically choose an album such as Visions, Free, or Peace and play those.

Myself, lately I've taken a great liking to "The Fountain". It is running through my head all day long lately, and that ain't bad :)
Libera73
Silver Member

Post by Libera73 »

BrightEyes wrote:
Libera73 wrote:Be still my soul
Mother of God
Adoro Te

Hey Libera73 :)

Yes those are all good! "Mother of God" is kind of a stray sheep for me because it was on the Eternal CD which is one of the only CDs that I did not purchase. Since it was primarily greatest hits, I just downloaded the new tracks as MP3 downloads from Amazon, and when I go onto my iPod I typically choose an album such as Visions, Free, or Peace and play those.

Myself, lately I've taken a great liking to "The Fountain". It is running through my head all day long lately, and that ain't bad :)
yes, i like the fountain aswell!
paopao

Post by paopao »

Currently loving A Song of Enchantment. for an unknown reason i keep thinking about human-sized creatures with pointy ears.
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

just rediscovered 'Stabat' as it's talked about a bit lately :wink:

Cool ears BrightEyes :lol: