Greetings! Introduction...

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

DelphicApollo

Greetings! Introduction...

Post by DelphicApollo »

:roll:
Salutations! I figured it is past time to introduce myself, so I don't look like I'm trolling the boards - I've just been reading, up 'til now. Still reading, in fact. Still reading the thread where people are getting acquainted personally - I'm only up to 2008, where TCliffy dodged a hurrricane - Ike - down South, and then people started discussing the education system.
Still reading the thread where people posted other young artists and choirs they like - it's practically a Sampler of good music! So far I have added over a dozen new entries to my YouTube list of Favourites - for which I thank those of you who posted on that thread.
Since my Mac suffered catastrophic failure, my link to the outside World is my iPhone. Reading on an iPhone is a slow affair, and writing on one is even slower, so this post will probably be the longest one you will see for quite some time.
My name is Christopher Cox, and I hail from Alexandria, Virginia, U.S.A.
I have just recently opened pages on both MySpace and Facebook, for those of you on those networks - I opened them to get back in touch with old friends, but I welcome new friends as well. From what I have read so far, the people here are an interesting and/or educated lot with undisputable good taste in music.
I discovered Libera quite by accident.
Watching the movie Coraline, I was blown away by the music (composed by Bruno Coulaise), so I tried to look into it online. I found it had been performed by The Childrens Chorus of Nice. I tried to find out more about them, but couldn't. Instead I kept getting two referrals: One to the BCSD - a great resource on choirs and boy soloists - and the other a link to YouTube.
I had NEVER checked out YouTube. I remember when it was launched - It had been touted as a place to post homemade videos; basically a dumbed-down Funniest Videos site. I had no idea people were posting MUSIC there, until I clicked the Coraline Closing Credits link to YouTube and got the music instead of actual credits! Under the related-videos-you-might-like was: Libera.
I checked out the BCSD site, still looking for more info on the Childrens Choir of Nice and found nothing on them, but plenty of writeups about Libera.
Hmmmmm....
Next I used BCSD to find things of potential interest and look them up on YouTube, including old favourites like The Vienna Boys Choir and newer happy discoveries.
One frequent poster with good taste - a French woman, I believe - had me researching where she got the music for her vids: From this I found groups like the Boys Air Choir and soloists like Joseph McManners - and in each case the related recommended videos showed material from Libera.
Hmmmmm... again. There was SO MUCH Libera material popping up as Recommended that I was reluctant at first, so first I sought out (and saved to Favourites) everything I could located on the new discoveries I had already made. Libera would need a suitable amount of time to explore properly. Clearly! So I held off, gradually learning that Libera also included Angel Voices and The St. Philips Boy Choir as well as the full St. Philips Choir (as on their stirring rendition of Onward Christian Soldiers). Clearly it would need a LARGE block of time to explore! I may be no longer working, but I still have things to do and only 24 hours in a day. So I waited, curious.
Then I sampled, some from each period.
Then I splurged, following every link for more.
When links no longer worked, I used Search to find more songs.
Then I systematically went through Search to find all of the different versions of songs.
Then I wrote down all of the titles of tracks from all of their albums and used YouTube's Search some more, just to make sure I had heard every title that has been posted.
Somewhere in all of this I went from exploring to being a fan, to the point where finding a new song or version makes my day!
This seems like a good place to stop. I could go into more personal details, but that seems more appropriate for the getting- to-know-each other thread, so I will simply bid you all a good day and a good New Year.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

Welcome aboard! First off, might I say, that's a mightly long post for an iPhone! Kudos to you for that. The story of how you came to find Libera is very interesting, I enjoy reading about how people come across the magical group, most of the time it's from youtube, it seems like. It's very nice to have you posting on here, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I only just joined in November, so I'm sort of new to the forum, but I can assure everyone here is really nice!
Hope you have a great time here!

~Rebecca,
TX, USA :D
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

Rebecca (: wrote:Welcome aboard! First off, might I say, that's a mightly long post for an iPhone! Kudos to you for that. The story of how you came to find Libera is very interesting, I enjoy reading about how people come across the magical group, most of the time it's from youtube, it seems like. It's very nice to have you posting on here, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I only just joined in November, so I'm sort of new to the forum, but I can assure everyone here is really nice!

~Rebecca,

Hello!!! Welcome, Look forward to getting to know you!!!

I agree x1000
jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Post by jennaluvspbr »

symphonica7 wrote:
Rebecca (: wrote:Welcome aboard! First off, might I say, that's a mightly long post for an iPhone! Kudos to you for that. The story of how you came to find Libera is very interesting, I enjoy reading about how people come across the magical group, most of the time it's from youtube, it seems like. It's very nice to have you posting on here, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I only just joined in November, so I'm sort of new to the forum, but I can assure everyone here is really nice!

~Rebecca,

Hello!!! Welcome, Look forward to getting to know you!!!

I agree x1000
hello what a story i am soe xcied your here i found libera on youtube i misst them on tv and so any ways i was fulling in love with three mucis becomed a fan my slef too and i am hopeing u have a nice time here and welc ome
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Hello and welcome to this friendly place :D
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
paopao

Post by paopao »

while i may not be musically educated, i sure am interesting 8)
Welcome to the jungle Christopher!
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Welcome on the forum ! :D
I can't believe you wrote that on the iPhone ! You have some patience 8)
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

Murkskis wrote:Welcome on the forum ! :D
I can't believe you wrote that on the iPhone ! You have some patience 8)
I know! When I try to use my iPod touch on here my post are always super short, cause I get too frustrated :lol:
DelphicApollo

Post by DelphicApollo »

Typing on an iPhone can be frustrating, no doubt, but it's all I have so I just try to make do (and keep the frustration aspect to myself). On the other hand, I am getting used to it, and may eventually become proficient (and presumably less frustrated!).
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Greetings! Introduction...

Post by Yorkie »

Hi Christopher, welcome aboard the Libera juggernaut - there is no going back now you've been bitten I'm afraid!
DelphicApollo wrote: From what I have read so far, the people here are an interesting and/or educated lot with indisputable good taste in music.

You are quite right; there are many interesting people here and not a few educated ones but, between you & me, I'm the only one that's both :lol: :wink:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Lexi
Silver Member

Post by Lexi »

Hi Christopher! Glad to have you here!

That was an amazingly round-about way to find Libera, but glad you did. Guess it was destined to be! :D

With all the research you've done, you'll be yet another great source of info for us all! Hope you like it here!

(little ad for my blog. hehe)
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jesuspeace34

Post by jesuspeace34 »

Welcome to the forum. It is great to have you here.
symphonica7
Gold Member

Re: Greetings! Introduction...

Post by symphonica7 »

Yorkie wrote:Hi Christopher, welcome aboard the Libera juggernaut - there is no going back now you've been bitten I'm afraid!
DelphicApollo wrote: From what I have read so far, the people here are an interesting and/or educated lot with indisputable good taste in music.

You are quite right; there are many interesting people here and not a few educated ones but, between you & me, I'm the only one that's both :lol: :wink:
LOL, funny stuff Yorkie!! What's up Christopher!!!
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

Welcome, Christopher! :)

I am a newbie to the forums as well, but not to Libera. I've been a fan of them for about 10 years now.

Reading your post made me want to check out Coraline, which I've had on my DVR but only watched for a few minutes.

So I watched the whole movie today, and wow!! First off, you're right the soundtrack was very good, especially the brief times when you can hear the choir. Secondly, the movie was very, very enjoyable and so incredibly imaginative and wonderful. I really liked it a lot :)

So anyhow, I'm glad for this forum and the great synergy we get from sharing as fans. I hope you find lots more music you like from Libera.

You may want to check out the soundtrack from Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland", and a companion soundtrack, "Almost Alice". Lots of great music on those as well. The main Alice theme has work from the London Oratory School, Schola, the boychoir which did work on Lord of the Rings.
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

Christopher & BrightEyes! :!:
Nice to have you on our board ;) Be free to be free and to post a lot :roll:
Our fans are very friendly. And now you are a part of us... so... ;)

wElCoMe :!:
:wink: it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice :wink: