Greetings! Introduction...

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

Narnian wrote:Christopher & BrightEyes! :!:
Nice to have you on our board ;) Be free to be free and to post a lot :roll:
Our fans are very friendly. And now you are a part of us... so... ;)

wElCoMe :!:
Thank you kindly, Narnian. I already feel at home and know that I am among friends. :)
Libera73
Silver Member

Post by Libera73 »

hey Chris! nice to see you here :D

- Rebecca
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

I am Symphonica, hope to get to know all of you!!!
DelphicApollo

Post by DelphicApollo »

Wow! Thank you all for the many welcomes!
As for Alice in Wonderland, I'm somewhat of a Tim Burton fan, so I've been waiting for it to come on cable, and the same goes for a good soundtrack: I really prefer to see the movie first, so I can hear the music in it's proper context the first time around.
Fortunately I'm one of those people who CAN still hear the music soundtrack, even with dialogue, sound effects, action and other distractions. Some of the best music today is being written for movies. This is especially true of orchestral music - a lot of dramatic and beautiful pieces get written for movies, while the stuff being written for symphonic performances is often too experimental and leaves me underwhelmed.
Anyway, it's great to be here!
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

Agreed on your musical analysis! Lets change that!! Glad you are here!
DelphicApollo

Post by DelphicApollo »

I'd love to, but how?
Schools like Juliard turn out first rate musicians for a world where hack acts get signed while the trained musician is lucky to find part time work as a studio musician. How can we change that?
No one seems to be writing great symphonies these days, or none that I've heard of. No modern equivalents of the 1812 Overture. So how do we change that?
We need to change it somehow, but how?
A full orchestra is a huge expense that needs to be justified in an age of improved - and much cheaper - synthesizers. The symphony needs to be modern yet relevant somehow. Yet while the great schools turn out great trained musicians there doesn't seem to be a modern Mozart in sight.
The modern best all seem to be writing for the movies, where the money is. Too bad none of them seem to be writing any symphonies on the side! In their attempts to stay relevant many orchestras put on performances of movie music, such as a John Williams pastiche, but it just isn't the same. Is todays Copeland really just out to be the next Danny Elfman? How do we change that?
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."