The Christmas Song Thread

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

The Christmas Song Thread

Post by Yorkie »

A little early I know but what the heck. What songs get you in the Christmas mood? Does your country have some songs that nobody else would have heard of?

Post your favourites here (and I promise not to flood this thread).

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

my favourite is Wizzard - i wish it could be christmas everyday because its so jolly and also because when my dads jolly *on beer* he does a funny dance to it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx4Cyhf_neU

i also like A space man came travelling because mum plays it everyday from 1st decemeber because its her favourite, it symbolises christmas is coming to me :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49k1EQdoMeU
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

kthomp wrote:i also like A space man came travelling because mum plays it everyday from 1st decemeber because its her favourite, it symbolises christmas is coming to me :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49k1EQdoMeU
I like also that song :)

There is also a cover of "A spaceman came traveling", by Boys Air Choir :)
[youtube][/youtube]
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Nice songs you have found :D Like the Snowman and also A Space man 8)

Well, I tried to find something as well:
The first clip seems like about Winter, but the actual message of it is "someone will always feel 'cold' in this world without you" (like not loved enough) and it contains a promise for better times to come soon.
[youtube][/youtube]

And this one is close to a traditional Christmas song (maybe someone knows the choir)- strongly associated with this time of the year.
[youtube][/youtube]
chix
Silver Member

Post by chix »

This one is an all time favorite Christmas songs for the Filipinos. I remember singing it when I was in 2nd grade.

[youtube][/youtube]

Munting Sanggol (Little Child) performed by UST Singers (Choir of the World 2010 and my university choir :) )
[youtube][/youtube]

I believe this one was posted by phlibera (?) somewhere in this forum.
Kumukutikutitap (Twinkling) performed by Las Piñas Boys Choir [youtube][/youtube]

I have others in mind, unfortunately I can't find a good video of it. I hope you like these. :)
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

This one capture more the winter-mood, soloist is Konstanze Kulinsky from german group "ADARO".
Lyrics translated are:
A snow fell,
long before its time.
I'm being thrown with snowballs,
I found my path snowed up.

My house has got no gable,
it's become old
Broken are the bolts,
my room is cold.

Oh my dear, please show mercy to me,
for I am so wretched
and clasp me in your arms,
That's how the winter runs

[youtube][/youtube]
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

chix wrote:This one is an all time favorite Christmas songs for the Filipinos. I remember singing it when I was in 2nd grade.

[youtube][/youtube]

Munting Sanggol (Little Child) performed by UST Singers (Choir of the World 2010 and my university choir :) )
[youtube][/youtube]

I believe this one was posted by phlibera (?) somewhere in this forum.
Kumukutikutitap (Twinkling) performed by Las Piñas Boys Choir [youtube][/youtube]

I have others in mind, unfortunately I can't find a good video of it. I hope you like these. :)
I like Kumukutikutitap! :) We did this song way back when I was in high school for music class. :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thanks guys, I enjoyed all of those. It's fun to see how different countries celebrate Christmas, please keep posting.

I guess for me Christmas starts at 15.00 on Christmas Eve; I'll be listening to the radio as the first notes of 'Once in Royal David's City' sound from the live broadcast from King's College chapel, Cambridge:

[youtube][/youtube]

A truly beautiful service and you can listen live over the web on Radio 4. The boy who sings the opening verse is not selected until just before he has to sing. the Choir Director will point to the boy he has selected and basically he has to be ready to start - no time to get nervous!

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Yorkie wrote: The boy who sings the opening verse is not selected until just before he has to sing. the Choir Director will point to the boy he has selected and basically he has to be ready to start - no time to get nervous!
What a tradition 8) It's such a responsibility- all of them have to be ready for that turn. And even broadcasted live? Oh, I would be pretty nervous :lol:

It would be fantastic event if Libera could broadcast live (on BBC or just on the web) smth like that 8)
chix
Silver Member

Post by chix »

Murkskis wrote:
Yorkie wrote: The boy who sings the opening verse is not selected until just before he has to sing. the Choir Director will point to the boy he has selected and basically he has to be ready to start - no time to get nervous!
What a tradition 8) It's such a responsibility- all of them have to be ready for that turn. And even broadcasted live? Oh, I would be pretty nervous :lol:

It would be fantastic event if Libera could broadcast live (on BBC or just on the web) smth like that 8)
Wow! When I saw that video last year, I thought it was really good. I never imagine that the boy is appointed just right when he's about to sing.
Yorkie wrote:It's fun to see how different countries celebrate Christmas,
Morning shows here in the Philippines have been counting the days till Christmas since the beginning of Ber-months and right after they mentioned how many days left they would play Christmas carol as background music. They usually invite high school and college choirs to sing from time to time as well. Most people, on the other hand, decorate their houses just after Nov.2 (not in my family though, we don't have anything "Christmas" as of yet)

Oh, btw, I'm just really curious, is there such thing as "9 mornings till Christmas" in your countries?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

chix wrote: Oh, btw, I'm just really curious, is there such thing as "9 mornings till Christmas" in your countries?
Not in the UK to my knowledge - what is it?

Murkskis, I agree a live Libera broadcast would be great - guess the nearest we got was that church service from the States earlier this year.

Well I guess a Christmas song thread needs the Christmas Song

[youtube][/youtube]

and perhaps my favourite Christmas carol

[youtube][/youtube]

Mercy & Love
little-miss-sunshine

Post by little-miss-sunshine »

Finally, somone posted some Nat King Cole! A staple Christmas artist in my family! :)

EDIT: Might as well post something while I'm at it. :wink:

[youtube][/youtube]
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

little-miss-sunshine wrote: EDIT: Might as well post something while I'm at it. :wink:

[youtube][/youtube]
Nice ! I found another version! I usually don't like so big crowd but this performance is truly inspiring ! 8)

[youtube][/youtube]
chix
Silver Member

Post by chix »

I forgot to mention that I'm Catholic. Anyhoo, in Philippines we attend Nine Mornings Mass (Simbang Gabi) every 4:00am starting Dec.16-Dec.24 to prepare for Christmas.

I've been singing to Christmas Carol ever since it was posted here. hahaha Another favourites of mine...

[youtube][/youtube]

and of course,
[youtube][/youtube]
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

Yorkie wrote: and perhaps my favourite Christmas carol

[youtube][/youtube]
We are singing this in one of my choirs - I love it!

Here in the US most popular Christmas songs are really little kidish haha, but I'll post some songs that I like!

Let it Snow
[youtube] " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/youtube]

All I Want for Christmas is You (singing this in choir)
[youtube][/youtube]

Carol of the Bells (I'm playing this in my piano recital in a few weeks)

[youtube][/youtube]