What are your favorite books?

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Atrineas

Post by Atrineas »

Yes, the Raven, I'm trying to memorise the entire piece...
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and wary
over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore
while I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping
as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
'T'is some visitor' I muttered 'rapping at my chamber door -
only this and nothing more.'
KP

Post by KP »

I am too! Or I was... I temporarily gave up after the 14th or 15th stanza.
I love the meter and rhyme scheme! :)
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

It's impossible to list all of my favorite books. I read WAY TOO MUCH!!!

herre's a few...
Harry Potter (all 7)
Narnia (all 7)
Eragon & Eldest
Watership Down
Duncton Wood
Magyk, Flyte, & Physik
The Holy Bible (obviously)
A bag of marbles
Tintin
Asterix
Little Women, Little Men, and Jo's Boys
David Copperfield
Oliver Twist,
etc...
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joo

Post by joo »

Eep! I forgot about Eregon! I love those books. I wonder when the next is coming out... I was so mad at the movie. The slaughtered the book. I was somewhere in between crying and laughing when I watched it. I think I might have done a bit of both.
Oh, Freddie. <3
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

I know. The movie completely destroyed the book. How they are ever going to make a movie about the second and third books I'll never know.

September 20th, 2008 is when the third book "Brisingr" comes out.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quinnsome
Silver Member

Post by Quinnsome »

By Jove, I knew I'd been forgetting something!
Little Men is one of my favourite books as well.
joo

Post by joo »

tcliffy wrote:I know. The movie completely destroyed the book. How they are ever going to make a movie about the second and third books I'll never know.

September 20th, 2008 is when the third book "Brisingr" comes out.
I'm not sure if they'd be allowed to make the second and third books into movies! It made me mad, because in all the reviews that blamed Christopher Paolini for the movies being a flop. His books are amazing though, especially because he's so young.

Really? Oh my. I'm rather giddy now. I'll have to read Eregon and Eldest again. :D
Oh, Freddie. <3
Quinnsome
Silver Member

Post by Quinnsome »

I do agree, the "Eragon" movie was atrocious.
I'm sorry to disagree on this, but I don't care for the books. They're okay, I guess, but quite a bit of it seemed copied from Star Wars, LotR, and what-not, and the more original concepts, creatures, etc. were a bit too bizarre for me. But, they're not bad, I suppose; I'm just picky.
Oh, the third book ("Brisingr") is coming out this September? Oh.
Are they actually going to make more movies of the other books? :| Oh dear.
joo

Post by joo »

Quinnsome wrote:I do agree, the "Eragon" movie was atrocious.
I'm sorry to disagree on this, but I don't care for the books. They're okay, I guess, but quite a bit of it seemed copied from Star Wars, LotR, and what-not, and the more original concepts, creatures, etc. were a bit too bizarre for me. But, they're not bad, I suppose; I'm just picky.
Oh, the third book ("Brisingr") is coming out this September? Oh.
Are they actually going to make more movies of the other books? :| Oh dear.
Aw, it is admirable and lovely that you speak your own opinion. They are, I suppose, a little copy-ish, but not half as bad as many a book I've read nowadays. I hope they're not making the other books into movies. I highly dobt that the first movie did well, so they'd be smart to give up while they're ahead. I was wondering about The Series of Unfortunate Events series, also, if they were continuing on with that or not. By itself, the movie was ok, but compared to the books, neh.

My goodness! I completely forgot about The Series of Unfortunate Events. I love those books. I remember when I first bought the 12th, then the 13th one. I was up all night reading them. :P
Oh, Freddie. <3
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

I'm not a great book reader , I'm more into movies but after reading a book called "Nathan's run" from John Gilstrap I bought two others from him too : "Even Stefan" and "Scott free" and their great !! but they haven't made a movie of it yet.
William

Post by William »

Seems like I have a lot in common with folks here. My favories are also Peter Pan, The Adventures of Huck Finn, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Oliver Twist. Many of which I've read a few times. I also really enjoy the newer Dave Barry series of Peter Pan stories (Peter and the Starchasers, Peter and the Shadow Thieves, and Peter and the Secret of Rundoon.) I also like reading baseball fiction (juvenile mostly) since I am an aspiring children's author and baseball fan. I'm working on a story now, in fact. I also like, in the non-fiction vein, any of Wayne Dyer's books as well. I also like reading non-fiction accounts of ghosts and other paranormal events.
Speaking of Tom and Huck, anyone else ever been to Hannibal, MO for their annual Tom Sawyer Days in July? It's lots of fun. It's neat seeing the actual places Mark Twain writes about in his books and visiting his boyhood home. I especially enjoy watching the fence painting contest. Fu stuff!
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Hmm...

A lot of my favorite books came out of childhood (quit laughing!): Norton Juster's Phantom Tollbooth and Clive Barker's Thief of Always. I like the dynamic between faith and living in Salman Rushdie's work, especially The Satanic Verses...Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon is beautiful.

...Ecclesiastes, because of its strikingly modern message and beautiful poetry.
DrewE
Silver Member

Post by DrewE »

I enjoy reading the parables of Safed the Sage by William E. Barton. Five books were originally published (in the early 1900's); a collection that's readily available of selections from them is in print under the title "Parables of a Country Parson". One of the books--the third, I think--is also available for download from Google books (Safed and Keturah), being in the public domain.

Hmmm...might as well transcribe one here to give a flavor of the works. This is from Safed and Keturah, although this is one that is repeated in the other book, too (albeit with a tiny little bit of editing):

The Millionaire and the Scrublady

There is a certain Millionaire, who hath his Offices on the second Floor of the First National Bank Building. And when he goeth up to his Offices he rideth in the Elevator, but when he goeth down, then he walketh.

And he is an Haughty Man, who once was poor, and hath risen in the World, and he is a Self-made Man who worshipeth his maker.

And he payeth his Rent regularly on the first day of the month, and he considereth not that there are Human Beings who run the Elevators, and who Clean the Windows, hanging at a great height above the Sidewalk, and who shovel Coal into the furnaces under the Boilers. Neither doth he at Christmas time remember any of them with a Tip or a Turkey.

And there is in that building a Poor Woman who Scrubbeth the Stairs and the Halls. And he hath walked past her often but hath never seen her until Recently. For his head was high in the air, and he was thinking of More Millions.

Now it came to pass on a day that he left his Office, and started to walk down the Stairs.

And the Scrublady was half way down; for she had begun at the top, and was giving the stairs their First Onceover. And upon the topmost Stair, in a wet and soapy spot, there was a Large Cake of Yellow Soap. And the Millionaire stepped upon it.

Now the foot which he set upon the Soap flew eastward toward the Sunrise, and the other foot started on an expedition of its own toward the going down of the Sun. And the Millionaire sat down upon the Topmost Step, but he did not remain there. As it had been his Intention to Descend, so he Descended, but not in the manner of his Original Design. For he descended faster, and he struck each step with a sound as it had been of a drum.

And the Scrublady stood aside courteously, and let him go. And he stayed not on the order of his going.

And at the bottom he arose, and considered whether he should rush into the Office of the Building and demand that the Scrublady be fired; but he considered that if he should tell the reason there would be great Mirth among the occupants of the Building. And so he held his peace.

But since that day he taketh notice of the Scrublady, and passeth her with Circumspection.

For there is no man so high or mighty that he can afford to ignore any of his fellow human beings. For a very Humble Scrublady and a very common bar of Yellow Soap can take the mind of a Great Man off his Business Troubles with surprising rapidity.

Wherefore, consider these things, and count not thyself too high above even the humblest of the children of God.

Lest haply thou come down form thy place of pride and walk off with thy bruises aching a little more by reason of thy suspicion that the Scrublady is Smiling into her Suds, and facing the day's work the more cheerfully by reason of the fun thou has afforded her.

For these are solemn days, and he that bringeth a smile to the face of a Scrublady hath not lived in vain.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Currently I'm reading James Michner's Poland. It's a real eye opener, he captures the culture of medieval and pre-twentieth century Eastern Europe very well.
Quinnsome
Silver Member

Post by Quinnsome »

I recently finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time and was quite impressed. It is now one of my very favourite books.