Thomas Cully sings on myspace

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

danieb88
Silver Member

Post by danieb88 »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Maybe he just got embarrassed by the gluttony of praise, despite his talent he seems quite modest at times. Perhaps he didn't expect the huge response he got. People like to give feedback though, it's a natural reaction, and I didn't see anything that was out of line. There could be lots of reasons, it would be pointless speculating.
I agree, I think he's probably abit embarrased by the extent of all the praise hes recieving - im willing to bet a number of his school fiends have no idea quite how famous he was as part of Libera so now hes jus hidden his comments (not deleted them, as you can still post more) so he can see what ppl say but he doesnt get any potentially negative responses from his classmates!

I have posted to give him my support and I don't regret this - hopefully it will drive him to post more in the future!
Danie :D
paopao

Post by paopao »

phlibera wrote:Ben's songs in his Myspace seemed to have been recorded in a studio. Tom's remind of a fan posting fan covers of Libera songs in Youtube using Mixcraft, a PC microphone, and priceless moments of not doing homework. I wonder if one can turn down the reverb in that software program, or maybe it's an artifact of some technique of canceling/drowning out ambient noise picked up by the mic like say a cat (or is it Cassius?) meowing in the background when you record somewhere other than a recording room.
i think so too, taking the advantage of working in Libera's Studio maybe? yeah and reverbs in tom's recordings, definitely bedroom recording..but he's pretty cool doing those stuffs by himself, he's probably got some demos to send to the major label or.. has EMI spotted him?
paopao

Post by paopao »

danieb88 wrote:
JimmyRiddle wrote:Maybe he just got embarrassed by the gluttony of praise, despite his talent he seems quite modest at times. Perhaps he didn't expect the huge response he got. People like to give feedback though, it's a natural reaction, and I didn't see anything that was out of line. There could be lots of reasons, it would be pointless speculating.
I agree, I think he's probably abit embarrased by the extent of all the praise hes recieving - im willing to bet a number of his school fiends have no idea quite how famous he was as part of Libera so now hes jus hidden his comments (not deleted them, as you can still post more) so he can see what ppl say but he doesnt get any potentially negative responses from his classmates!

I have posted to give him my support and I don't regret this - hopefully it will drive him to post more in the future!
i noticed, almost all of the comments were from girls, probably asian Libera fans. My theory about tom is that he's grown up and wants to be himself rather than being "Libera's Tom" like those comments are referring (i believe).
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

paopao wrote:
i noticed, almost all of the comments were from girls, probably asian Libera fans. My theory about tom is that he's grown up and wants to be himself rather than being "Libera's Tom" like those comments are referring (i believe).[/quote]

It is such a catch 22 . Because i am sure Tom wants to be his own recording artist and not been just older Tom from Libera but on the other hand its because of Libera that his music already has so many listeners. And he most know this as well. You dont bite the hand that feeds you .
paopao

Post by paopao »

dani wrote:
paopao wrote:
i noticed, almost all of the comments were from girls, probably asian Libera fans. My theory about tom is that he's grown up and wants to be himself rather than being "Libera's Tom" like those comments are referring (i believe).

It is such a catch 22 . Because i am sure Tom wants to be his own recording artist and not been just older Tom from Libera but on the other hand its because of Libera that his music already has so many listeners. And he most know this as well. You dont bite the hand that feeds you .[/quote]
Exactly, Libera has made him to be what he is now.. one of Libera's legend, the most iconic member.
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

when i used to have myspace like many of my friends as well we hid our comments for the sheer fact they were OUR comments and others didnt really need to read them, so that might be what Tom is doing
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

The neat thing about this is that Tom seems to be heading towards non-Libera music the I love to listen to like that of Mario Frangoulis and Michael Buble. I'm liking the "A'cappella / Acoustic / Pop" under his name in Myspace, not too far removed from Libera.

Regarding the reverb effects: I think he's using it to give the whole song (which is composed of several tracks recorded at different times and different conditions) a unified sound. Probably not unlike how film makers would use color-grading to give a film (composed of different shots taken under different conditions) a unified look. Not much choice I guess aside from reverb if you record outside a recording room but still would like your song to have a mastered feel.
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

To the myspace-members from you, only one wish: Can you send him the link to this forum-thread here? Or only to this forum. Post it to him as comment or private message, please. Surely he wouldn't write something here, but maybe he become a forum-reader or so :wink:
bar
Silver Member

Post by bar »

phlibera wrote:The neat thing about this is that Tom seems to be heading towards non-Libera music the I love to listen to like that of Mario Frangoulis and Michael Buble. I'm liking the "A'cappella / Acoustic / Pop" under his name in Myspace, not too far removed from Libera.

Regarding the reverb effects: I think he's using it to give the whole song (which is composed of several tracks recorded at different times and different conditions) a unified sound. Probably not unlike how film makers would use color-grading to give a film (composed of different shots taken under different conditions) a unified look. Not much choice I guess aside from reverb if you record outside a recording room but still would like your song to have a mastered feel.

I think the reverb is to cover up bedroom recording. Ever since that Chase boy's YouTube Libera fan covers, I took the liberty of downloading the software he uses (Mixcraft).

I've always had an interest in composition, more specifically taking apart music and finding the subtleties. I also do some narration for school, and using a regular cheap PC microphone I can tell you that the quality is absolutely horrendous.

It makes me appreciate his fan covers a lot more now that I've realized how difficult it is to get good sound out of a cheap microphone. The fact that Chase and Tom get such good quality from a bedroom recording is astounding.

I've listened through all of Tom's tracks, and I love it. For a while I was worried he would lose motivation, because being a lead soloist for as long as he has, then suddenly relegated to the back row, must be difficult to handle.

Very few people have the technique, musicality, and raw talent to make it in the music business. I'm excluding mainstream pop here, where voices are so mangled that it may as well be pure techno. I'm thinking classier music, either classical or ballads or Michael Buble-esque.

It's apparent when you look at the history of Libera boys. I do believe that both Ben Crawley and Tom Cully have what it takes.

It's simply an extreme difference in class and quality. I'm not knocking the other boys, but both Ben C and Tom are a lot more serious about it, and this distinction appeared early.

I speak in regards to Tom, simply because much more of his treble career is readily available than Ben C's (ie. via YouTube). If you track the progression of Tom C's career, it becomes readily apparent the sheer technique that he carries.

He's cathedral-quality, I say. I'm a huge, huge, HUGE Libera fan and I love all the boys to death, but very few of the boys ever hit that level of class and technique. There's a difference between sounding "nice" and being "musical" for one, and a difference between having a "pretty voice" and a "supported, sustained" voice.

A few others I think really transcend the average Libera quality (which in itself is astounding, mind you) are Ben C and Ed Day. I've always been a fan of Ed Day, and in terms of technique he's certainly up there somewhere. I'm beginning to see glimpses of it, perhaps, in Stefan Leadbeater but we'll need more live recordings of him to see that evolve.

Most Libera fans are aware that Libera is not a traditional cathedral choir. If you contrast the singing of St. Philip's choir with the Libera of today, the difference is very apparent.

I think Libera's training of the boys have gradually moved more and more into training them to sing like contemporary choirs, and less like a cathedral choir. That's great and that's certainly what adds to Libera's unique blend of "secular and sacred", but I think many of the principles of cathedral singing (that are being emphasized less now) contribute to this "class" and pure technique you see in Tom Cully.

Contrast, for example, mini-James' rendition of Touch the Sky. As it stands he is not cathedral quality, simply because he's being trained differently than in the Libera's past. Not trained in an inferior manner, mind you...trained differently, to sing in a different genre of music. Cathedral boys choirs emphasize stringent diction, tone purity, breath support, and projection. A single treble voice is expected to resonate in the cathedral without the use of microphones.

Compare the following 2 songs:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

You see the difference? It's not a difference in ability, but a difference in style. Libera has changed much over the years, and training has changed accordingly as their genre has changed. It's necessary, it's understandable, and definitely no less beautiful.

I think we've all encountered friends who are naturally good singers and sound nice, say, at a karaoke bar. On the other hand, we all know one or two rare people who, the minute they open their mouths, is apparent that they've received a lot of professional training and discipline. It's an entirely different game altogether.

I look forward to hearing more from Tom.
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

bar wrote:I'm beginning to see glimpses of it, perhaps, in Stefan Leadbeater but we'll need more live recordings of him to see that evolve.
Stefan also sings with the Trinity Boys Choir so he'll have that more traditional classical training, too.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

No need to speculate anymore. Tom posted this today:
Im sorry if i'm not able to reply to everyones inboxes, its just too hard to reply to every single one that people send me, i'm just apologising in advance because when i first started this page (only 3/4 days ago) i did reply to the comments, only because i wasn't getting them in bulk, but now it is just too hard to keep on top of everything, and i know its upset some people, because you have messaged me about it, sorry.
How someone can expect a kid who receives thousands of views each day and numerous comments to respond to each and every message is ridiculous.

Btw, he has posted the lyrics of Cashmere:
Is this all just Fantasy? i've thought about it too much now, its all like a
dream to me
Is this all that it will be? maybe i'm running too fast now? but i
don't want to "wait and see"

Sitting on the grass with your head on my
chest, we don't say anything, now we're both here lets just wait here awhile,
we don't want to waste a thing now Love, my love.

As my time floated away,
my itchy eyes couldn't stand the pain, i was being "lead astray"
But when you
opened up to me, "surely this isn't reality" because finally i was freed

Sitting on the grass with your head on my chest, we don't say anything, now
we're both here lets just wait here awhile, we don't want to waste a thing now
Love, my love.

phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Thank you so much, Carina. I guess those messages are only available to his Myspace connections because I can't find them in his publicly accessible stuffs. It took me some time to be in Facebook and Twitter, I still don't have any plans to join Myspace just yet...or ever. Hope you continue posting those friends-only messages here.

Daghang salamat.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Interesting thoughts bar - thanks for taking the time to share them with us. I've listened to Tom's stuff and while I like the style i don't think his voice has quite settled yet and I can't say that I'm wild about it. Still, better in every way than anything I could ever do.

I've added some follow up comments to some of your points below:

bar wrote: Very few people have the technique, musicality, and raw talent to make it in the music business. I'm excluding mainstream pop here, where voices are so mangled that it may as well be pure techno. I'm thinking classier music, either classical or ballads or Michael Buble-esque.

Too true!
bar wrote:It's apparent when you look at the history of Libera boys. I do believe that both Ben Crawley and Tom Cully have what it takes.

It's simply an extreme difference in class and quality. I'm not knocking the other boys, but both Ben C and Tom are a lot more serious about it, and this distinction appeared early.

I think there are a few other of the 'early' Libera boys who had the potential to sing professionally - but a good voice can change to a bad one and an average voice can mature to a thing of beauty. We just don't know how it will turn out.

bar wrote:I speak in regards to Tom, simply because much more of his treble career is readily available than Ben C's (ie. via YouTube). If you track the progression of Tom C's career, it becomes readily apparent the sheer technique that he carries.

Even I wouldn't dare to disagree with that! Tom unquestionably has a lot of talent, skill and a good work ethic.

bar wrote:He's cathedral-quality, I say. I'm a huge, huge, HUGE Libera fan and I love all the boys to death, but very few of the boys ever hit that level of class and technique. There's a difference between sounding "nice" and being "musical" for one, and a difference between having a "pretty voice" and a "supported, sustained" voice.

A few others I think really transcend the average Libera quality (which in itself is astounding, mind you) are Ben C and Ed Day. I've always been a fan of Ed Day, and in terms of technique he's certainly up there somewhere. I'm beginning to see glimpses of it, perhaps, in Stefan Leadbeater but we'll need more live recordings of him to see that evolve.
Yes, Tom, Ben, Ed and others (Stephen G, Liam O'K spring to mind and without doubt other Libera members had that potential as well) could have made the grade in some of Englands greatest SATB choirs. Stefan has obviously got the same potential because of the LotR stuff - both Ben & Tom did a spot of singing on the side and I guess to be selected tells it's own story.
bar wrote:Most Libera fans are aware that Libera is not a traditional cathedral choir. If you contrast the singing of St. Philip's choir with the Libera of today, the difference is very apparent.
I don't think St Philip's choir (I assume we are talking about the group that came before AV/Libera) sounds anything like a Cathedral choir - a very (very) good school choir maybe?
bar wrote:I think Libera's training of the boys have gradually moved more and more into training them to sing like contemporary choirs, and less like a cathedral choir. That's great and that's certainly what adds to Libera's unique blend of "secular and sacred", but I think many of the principles of cathedral singing (that are being emphasized less now) contribute to this "class" and pure technique you see in Tom Cully.
Interesting point and not something I'd thought of. Is RP training the boys differently now than he did 10 years ago? My gut instinct is that he isn't. I think boys that can sing as well as Ben & Tom et al are not the norm. He has a relatively small pool to draw from (e.g. St Paul's Cathedral could attract a boy from anywhere in the country to become a chorister - I actually think they have an exceptional kid from Holland but my memory might have let me down there) so he has fewer diamonds to polish - but they are out there. I can't see RP training the boys differently I just think the sound/style is evolving over time.
bar wrote:Contrast, for example, mini-James' rendition of Touch the Sky. As it stands he is not cathedral quality, simply because he's being trained differently than in the Libera's past. Not trained in an inferior manner, mind you...trained differently, to sing in a different genre of music. Cathedral boys choirs emphasize stringent diction, tone purity, breath support, and projection. A single treble voice is expected to resonate in the cathedral without the use of microphones.
I 100% know what you mean, but I'm not sure it is a fair comparison. First up is that RP wrote one and Ben the other - different people = different sound. Agree about one style/sound not being inferior to the other, just different. Many people find the Cathedral sound of a treble somewhat sterile and not a little cold. Jame's probably doesn't have a voice that would be deemed suitable for a Cathedral choir because they want a very particular sound. I've acquired quite a few CD's from Cathedral Trebles and most I would listen to very rarely to be honest. Michael Horncastle could sing beautifully but he wasn't going to make a Cathedral Choir either.
bar wrote:Compare the following 2 songs:
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

bar wrote:You see the difference? It's not a difference in ability, but a difference in style. Libera has changed much over the years, and training has changed accordingly as their genre has changed. It's necessary, it's understandable, and definitely no less beautiful.
Agreed
bar wrote:I look forward to hearing more from Tom.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

phlibera wrote:Thank you so much, Carina. I guess those messages are only available to his Myspace connections because I can't find them in his publicly accessible stuffs. It took me some time to be in Facebook and Twitter, I still don't have any plans to join Myspace just yet...or ever. Hope you continue posting those friends-only messages here.

Daghang salamat.
No problem. You mean you can't see his blog posts? I thought I was able to view few days ago even without logging in. As for the lyrics, there's a small button 'Lyrics' that pops up the lyrics when you play Cashmere.

JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yorkie wrote:Michael Horncastle could sing beautifully but he wasn't going to make a Cathedral Choir either.
That's actually a very good point, how great for him and certainly for us the listeners that Michael H managed to find Libera. He had a special, unique style of voice, but would not have been suited for a cathedral setting. Thankfully Mr Prizeman worked wonders with him.

With regards to bar's post, a lot of good reading there, and it's true, you'll only find a few extremely talented 'cathedral' standard quality trebles at any one time in Libera. However as highlighted in Michael Horncastle's case, their will be other boys that will more than make up for this by impressing on us their own unique style and personality of singing. Josh is another one. Never trained to reach the top stratosphere of treble range, but he more than achieved the A grade result by finding songs perfectly suitable for his capabilities.