Thomas Cully sings on myspace

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

RiseInGlory wrote:I note that he has deleted all comments from his wall. I think we should leave him alone.
That or he made them private. Is that even possible? I'm not on Myspace and I don't want to be in it. Hehe...

Leave him alone how though? I can't help but visit his page from time to time to listen to his songs...
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

phlibera wrote:
RiseInGlory wrote:I note that he has deleted all comments from his wall. I think we should leave him alone.
That or he made them private. Is that even possible? I'm not on Myspace and I don't want to be in it. Hehe...

Leave him alone how though? I can't help but visit his page from time to time to listen to his songs...
I posted before you dont have to leave him alone when he has set up a music myspace. The whole point of it is to get people to listen.
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Yeah, I think we shouldn't read too much into the disappearance of the comments. The important thing is that the songs are still there to listen to. I hope he continues putting up his songs there. And I hope Ben Crawley can help Tom get a hold of much better recording equipments.
RiseInGlory

Post by RiseInGlory »

dani wrote:
Sorry this makes no sense. He clearly wants his music out there hence setting up a page. And fans are playing respect to him.

Why would anybody leave him alone when he has admitted in his blog he is stunned how people have been so postive.
Do you have a different explanation for why all the comments disappeared off his page?

There is a fine line between being appreciated and being over-appreciated. I don't know about you, but if I were a teenager who posted some stuff I made online, and say a dozen people of similar interest dropped by to say how nice it is, I would be pretty happy; but if I was instead immediately overwhelmed by hundreds of people I don't know telling me that I'm the best person in the world, that would be another matter altogether!

I'm sure each person who left a comment did it out of nothing but good will. But the aggregate of all these comments has a different effect from each comment alone.

I think I should clarify what "leave him alone" means. Perhaps I put it too strongly. Certainly he is very promising and he deserves support. But overwhelming him with comments is not support. I feel that we should stop with the comments unless we really have something substantive to say.

That's all I'm going to say on this matter.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

RiseInGlory wrote:
Do you have a different explanation for why all the comments disappeared off his page?

There is a fine line between being appreciated and being over-appreciated. I don't know about you, but if I were a teenager who posted some stuff I made online, and say a dozen people of similar interest dropped by to say how nice it is, I would be pretty happy; but if I was instead immediately overwhelmed by hundreds of people I don't know telling me that I'm the best person in the world, that would be another matter altogether!

I'm sure each person who left a comment did it out of nothing but good will. But the aggregate of all these comments has a different effect from each comment alone.

I think I should clarify what "leave him alone" means. Perhaps I put it too strongly. Certainly he is very promising and he deserves support. But overwhelming him with comments is not support. I feel that we should stop with the comments unless we really have something substantive to say.

That's all I'm going to say on this matter.
Well each to there own!

I left one comment and i dont regret that. I am sure if he was that upset he would of posted something.
paopao

Post by paopao »

Nikki178 wrote:
irishoreo wrote:I gotta say i cracked up laughing at Tom's comments on Ben's page, he sounds like a cross of a british AND american teenager..
I never thought of Ben as short of Benjamin... he doesn't look like a Benjamin. :)
Exactly what i'm thinking about! How come we didn't know about that..
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

paopao wrote:
Nikki178 wrote:
irishoreo wrote:I gotta say i cracked up laughing at Tom's comments on Ben's page, he sounds like a cross of a british AND american teenager..
I never thought of Ben as short of Benjamin... he doesn't look like a Benjamin. :)
Exactly what i'm thinking about! How come we didn't know about that..

well ALL the Ben's can't be named Benedict haha. I had a feeling that Big Ben was a Benjamin and not a Benedict or any other variation that a nickname of Ben can come from.
Deshaun(day-shawn!)

"Music is my Refuge. I can just crawl in between the spaces of the notes and curl my back to the loneliness."- Maya Angelou
paopao

Post by paopao »

phlibera wrote:
carina_gino20 wrote:
Nikki178 wrote: I never thought of Ben as short of Benjamin... he doesn't look like a Benjamin. :)
:lol: No offense to Big Ben, but Tom is doing better 'business'. He's now got around 18.5k views in just a little over two days (?) :shock: Although a lot are probably return viewers (like me...).
Tom's also doing better business in terms of playback. :) Pop vs. techno, pop wins hands down. But Ben Crawley has a very nice post-Libera voice, but techno isn't for me. Listening to Ben's playlist we get a glimpse of where Touch the Sky comes from.

I like where Tom is going with his music (so far). Hope he has plans in contributing to Libera's repertoire in the near future.
Ben's probably got more gear to play with and he's more experienced in remixing stuff.. tom only plays piano and/or guitar.
But soon, i suppose..tom would have enough experience of working in studio by learning from Ben, and ends up as a genius like Imogen heap.
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

RiseInGlory, I think you're looking at it in a negative way. I'm sure if I'm a regular teenager who've never been seen before I'd agree with you, but if I'm former Libera and as good as Tom, frankly, I'd expect it.

Never really read all the comments there, just some in the front page and they're mostly about the songs he put up there, not about him being the "best person in the world" as you put it.
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

irishoreo wrote:well ALL the Ben's can't be named Benedict haha. I had a feeling that Big Ben was a Benjamin and not a Benedict or any other variation that a nickname of Ben can come from.
Wouldn't it had been cooler if he was actually an Obi-Wan?

@paopao- Ben's songs in his Myspace seemed to have been recorded in a studio. Tom's remind of a fan posting fan covers of Libera songs in Youtube using Mixcraft, a PC microphone, and priceless moments of not doing homework. I wonder if one can turn down the reverb in that software program, or maybe it's an artifact of some technique of canceling/drowning out ambient noise picked up by the mic like say a cat (or is it Cassius?) meowing in the background when you record somewhere other than a recording room.
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Is it surprising that I love Tom's new voice and the songs he posted?? :lol: But no, really, its just my kind of music! I can't wait to hear more! :D
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

I agree with dani and phlibera on this. Of course you're gonna have some odd ball there, but 90% of the comments were about his music. Maybe not all constructive criticisms since we're not all superb musicians, but they were responses to his music.

And I think any budding musician would like that attention, except if any comment is bordering on the indecent (which I had not read anywhere in his comment box before).
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

the most indecent one i had seen(and really it wasnt indecent but rather in poor taste) was a girl asking Tom for advice on guys. I had seeen her previous comments and only one remotely pertained to his music.
Deshaun(day-shawn!)

"Music is my Refuge. I can just crawl in between the spaces of the notes and curl my back to the loneliness."- Maya Angelou
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Maybe he just got embarrassed by the gluttony of praise, despite his talent he seems quite modest at times. Perhaps he didn't expect the huge response he got. People like to give feedback though, it's a natural reaction, and I didn't see anything that was out of line. There could be lots of reasons, it would be pointless speculating.
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

I'm definitely impressed by his music. Especially the piano playing, it's really good! And his songwriting skills is neat! His voice is really refreshing, never really what I expected. (In a good way, of course) I could totally listen to that at least 10,20 times a day!