Ralph singing Far Away!

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

bar
Silver Member

Ralph singing Far Away!

Post by bar »

Woah, check it out!

[youtube][/youtube]

It seems like medium-Ben's splitting his solo with Ralph! I had expected Far Away to be given to some of the younger ones, but to honest I had been 100% expecting Stefan.

But then again, Ralph's timbre is so similar to Michael Horncastle's that I'm glad he got this. Hooray! :D
libera36

Re: Ralph singing Far Away!

Post by libera36 »

bar wrote:Woah, check it out!

[youtube][/youtube]

It seems like medium-Ben's splitting his solo with Ralph! I had expected Far Away to be given to some of the younger ones, but to honest I had been 100% expecting Stefan.

But then again, Ralph's timbre is so similar to Michael Horncastle's that I'm glad he got this. Hooray! :D
:D I really love Ralph's voice! Even with a low quality recording, it sounds great! I think his voice might be even better suited to the song than Medium-Ben's voice. Nothing against Medium-Ben, of course, but his voice is quite strong whereas Far Away requires a smooth, soft and soothing sound. Like Ralph's! :)
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Anyone else here just see a big white block of screen where there is supposed to be a video link??
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
libera36

Post by libera36 »

TEB wrote:Anyone else here just see a big white block of screen where there is supposed to be a video link??
Its playing fine for me... :?
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Are you saying, Michael Horncastle has finally met his match? :lol:

It's a youtube embed. It's the one recorded by fan_de_LoK made available in YT.
JoelinMkt
Silver Member

Post by JoelinMkt »

[youtube][/youtube]

It's not so much the what but the how that matters.

"Far Away" will forever be associated with Michael Horncastle and supporters will always consider it "Michael's Song"

But the delivery on the soloists on this one - fantastic. Ben's treble voice is definitely at its peak and his delivery leaves no doubt that he is the present of Libera.

And Ralph, as I mentioned on another site, what can I say other than mark my words, that boy will one day rank as one of the great Libera soloists.

I wish we could get this at a higher bit rate because this video is gonna be one of those landmark performances.
"I am not hopeless. It's just, I'm not very good" - Michael Horncastle
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

JoelinMkt wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

"Far Away" will forever be associated with Michael Horncastle and supporters will always consider it "Michael's Song"

But the delivery on the soloists on this one - fantastic. Ben's treble voice is definitely at its peak and his delivery leaves no doubt that he is the present of Libera.

And Ralph, as I mentioned on another site, what can I say other than mark my words, that boy will one day rank as one of the great Libera soloists.

I wish we could get this at a higher bit rate because this video is gonna be one of those landmark performances.
I just watched the video yesterday, and found it quite interesting that "Far Away" now features 2 soloists: Ralph and Ben. It has never been done that way before, so that adds interest to a great Libera song.

As others have said, because I first heard Michael H. sing this song, I always associate it with him and prefer his rendition over all the other soloists: Tom, Ben and now Ralph. However, each "Far Away" soloist has brought a new interpretation to the song, which is great.

On this version, I thought that it was interesting to choose Ralph to be the second soloist, along with Ben. When Ben was younger, I always associated him with the softer, more subtle solos, but his voice has matured beautifully and become quite strong and powerful. But I think that he has always had a very sharp, clear, and precise voice which contrasts nicely with Ralph's very smooth, melodious tone. (Ha ha, as I'm writing this, Michael's version of "Far Away" started playing on my iPod and I can't help but think the song was perfectly tailored for his voice)! Anyways, back to Ralph's voice: it is amazingly well-controlled and has a soothing quality to it because it is so smooth.

OK, so I am rambling...Just wanted to say, thanks for posting the video. It was great to see!
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

Oh, I forgot to say well done, Kavana! He did a brilliant job singing the descant. His voice has also matured compared to last year, and he sings the notes with great confidence. Amazing. I look forward to hearing more from him soon too.

Ben also did a great job on the solo. He is definitely at his prime right now.
et cantate Domino gloria
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

I didn't even recognize Josh with the new hair and he looks so... tall. :) haha.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

plumpuff6 wrote:I just watched the video yesterday, and found it quite interesting that "Far Away" now features 2 soloists: Ralph and Ben. It has never been done that way before, so that adds interest to a great Libera song.
Not on television screening, but Tom and Josh did share lines of 'Far Away' for many concerts when they were on the front line.
plumpuff6 wrote:When Ben was younger, I always associated him with the softer, more subtle solos, but his voice has matured beautifully and become quite strong and powerful.
I'm definately a fan of Ben's mature treble voice. Such a shame this wonderful vocal gift peaks for only a short timespan.
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

As I said some month before - Ralph is one of my favourites young singers. First time I saw Ralph in vid "You were there"... boy with a beautifull smile and full of energy LOL.
Mr.Skan, well done! ;) And Mini is good as always ;)
:wink: it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice :wink:
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

libera36 wrote:
TEB wrote:Anyone else here just see a big white block of screen where there is supposed to be a video link??
Still no link on my screen but that hardly matters anyways. Can't watch streaming vids with dialup.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
libera36

Post by libera36 »

TEB wrote:
libera36 wrote:
Still no link on my screen but that hardly matters anyways. Can't watch streaming vids with dialup.
What if somebody emailed you the video? Would you be able to see it then? :?
LiberAeterna

Post by LiberAeterna »

plumpuff6 wrote:
JoelinMkt wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

I just watched the video yesterday, and found it quite interesting that "Far Away" now features 2 soloists: Ralph and Ben. It has never been done that way before, so that adds interest to a great Libera song.

As others have said, because I first heard Michael H. sing this song, I always associate it with him and prefer his rendition over all the other soloists: Tom, Ben and now Ralph. However, each "Far Away" soloist has brought a new interpretation to the song, which is great.

On this version, I thought that it was interesting to choose Ralph to be the second soloist, along with Ben. When Ben was younger, I always associated him with the softer, more subtle solos, but his voice has matured beautifully and become quite strong and powerful. But I think that he has always had a very sharp, clear, and precise voice which contrasts nicely with Ralph's very smooth, melodious tone. (Ha ha, as I'm writing this, Michael's version of "Far Away" started playing on my iPod and I can't help but think the song was perfectly tailored for his voice)! Anyways, back to Ralph's voice: it is amazingly well-controlled and has a soothing quality to it because it is so smooth.

OK, so I am rambling...Just wanted to say, thanks for posting the video. It was great to see!
I think your analysis is great here plumpuff6 :D! I too think that Ralph's voice suits "Far Away" well; a very smooth and soothing timbre to it. I'm sure we will hear more solos from him in the future, along with Stefan. I have always been a fan of Ben's singing as well as his cheery personality :) . His cystalline voice has matured quite well lately and it does contrast well with Ralph's.
Sing, Sing, Ye Heavenly Choir
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

Yes, I must say, that of all the Libera soloists I've been able to hear (albums, Youtube...sadly, never live!), Ben's voice has surprised me the most. The first solo I heard him sing was "Lacrymosa", and I thought he did very well. His voice had a sweet and wistful quality to it, and the tone was very clear and light/thin. Later, his voice matured and sounded stronger, but still very clear and young, like in "Jerusalem"; and then I felt his voice was in transition on the 2009 "Far Away" rendition at the Crystal Cathedral. In his earlier solos, I liked Ben's voice, but now I am blown away by his mature voice in his solos on the Peace album. His voice is still very clear and precise, but has an added power and depth of tone that I had not heard before. It is really quite wonderful. His most recent recording of "Lacrymosa" was great. I thought his new voice pulled off the song really well, because his more mature tone gave a new dimension to the lyrics.
et cantate Domino gloria