Concert in Arundel - 15 May 2010

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Yorkie wrote:Somebody earlier said as there was no Tom or Ed it must mean they have left. Ed yes, I said that a while ago and to me it was obvious. Tom I'm not so sure of. He might have left as a performer but I suspect we might see him again helping to set up the shows or contributing in another way butprobably he wasn't in Arundel because of his school exams.
And in fact Tom was at the mass this morning, in the choir, but Ed was not ;)
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Yorkie wrote:As you know, I look very much like Johnny Depp.
I feel so tempted to do an overlap picture in photoshop of Johnny Depp, Cassius and Mine Akpobome... I'm sure we'll have an acurate picture of you then! :lol:
libera36

Post by libera36 »

fan_de_LoK wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Somebody earlier said as there was no Tom or Ed it must mean they have left. Ed yes, I said that a while ago and to me it was obvious. Tom I'm not so sure of. He might have left as a performer but I suspect we might see him again helping to set up the shows or contributing in another way butprobably he wasn't in Arundel because of his school exams.
And in fact Tom was at the mass this morning, in the choir, but Ed was not ;)
That makes me sad for Ed and happy for Tom. :D :cry: :D :cry:

How was the service?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

irishoreo wrote:Yorkie that was BRILLIANT lol :lol: , btw the three violins may have been 2 violins and a viola....if the fourth looked like a huge violin and the person was sitting with it between their knees then yep its a cello....siiiigh I cannot wait to see them in concert eventually, although I'm a LITTLE saddened that I will not see solos sung by the individuals I was introduced to first, not so much that I'm not still excited to hear the newer boys.

Personally with the Matthews I say Matt, Matt-Matt and Matty lol
Violins/vilola/cello - not a bloody clue mate. I didn't have a view of them because of a pillar but none of them looked to be as easy on they eye as Fiona - Ian Tilley is one lucky man. No wonder he was smiling a lot.

You'll love them when you see them. For all it wasn't perfect they will just keep getting better and better - and they ain't bad now :D

Worst thing about seeing them though is that it's gone. Over. - who knows when you'll get to see them again? I have to say I enjoyed Arundel (lovely little town by the way and beautiful castle) more than Edinburgh because of the chance to chat to the fans/friends and share our thoughts and experiences.

In Edinburgh I was a stranger, a single bloke feeling a bit weird about traveling 100's of miles to watch boys sing. Yesterday I was amongst (admittedly completely nuts) friends. And I saw a good show.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

libera36 wrote:
Yorkie wrote:As you know, I look very much like Johnny Depp.
I feel so tempted to do an overlap picture in photoshop of Johnny Depp, Cassius and Mine Akpobome... I'm sure we'll have an acurate picture of you then! :lol:
As long as you pose me next to George Clooney it will be pretty much accurate :shock:

Patrick also confirmed last night that Mattew Madine was traveling with Josh and parents in their car so is almost certainly a brother rather than cousin (because the family resemblance is so strong).

Mercy & Love
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

I really do hope Ed has left on good terms! I believe there have been boys who have left on horrid terms, not ure who or if that is even accurate.

But i'm also banking on the possibility that he has exams as well at a different school system(maybe he was skipped a grade?) or even he may have developed tonsilitis and needed his tonsils surgically removed rendering him from singing for a couple months until his voice comes back into order.....just saying hopefully....
Deshaun(day-shawn!)

"Music is my Refuge. I can just crawl in between the spaces of the notes and curl my back to the loneliness."- Maya Angelou
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

irishoreo wrote:I really do hope Ed has left on good terms! I believe there have been boys who have left on horrid terms, not ure who or if that is even accurate.

But i'm also banking on the possibility that he has exams as well at a different school system(maybe he was skipped a grade?) or even he may have developed tonsilitis and needed his tonsils surgically removed rendering him from singing for a couple months until his voice comes back into order.....just saying hopefully....
Sorry Deshaun we don't skip grades over here. Nope, I'm certain Ed has left to join the legends of Libera past. I'm sure he doesn't read this rubbish but all the best Ed and thanks for leaving us with some great songs (p.s. if you are reading this and happen to have a copy of your Mysterium on video drop me a PM :wink: :D :lol: 8) ).

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

What I remember from the speeches between the songs- Freddie had a speech twice! And the second started with "It's me again !"
I didn't check but I'm sure all the listeners enjoyed that point greatly! :D
Unfortunately I can't tell you the speeches in full details- the same as for Yorkie.

Josh's talk resembled me so much his own talk from Asia tour that was written down somewhere on Dearmadines blog. Probably it didn't took long to be prepared for his speech this time, everything can be easily found on the web and blogs these days :D :D

I agree that if even MiniBen had a long speech prepared he seemed not to bother about it much and probably did part of his speech on the spot with much of emotinal background and with his hands emphasizing the whole event of the famous return trip from Asia tour. I'm sure he had a complete trip journal with him as part of the speech was read :D

As I was so deeply immersed in the overall concert atmosphere, I have great difficulties to remember what exactly Cassius said in the very end and Freddie said much more than I reported- please help with additional covers !

And the afterparty wasn't mentioned at all yet ! :D
Just after the concert I and Yorkie rushed to the closest pub which is located in the same hotel choosed for a starting point for the keenly expected race between Yorkie and fan de LoK.
We just had occupaid the best table possible when all the Libera were passing by the pub. We saw them through the windows and they saw us as well. But they didn't come in, probably because as I said we took the best seats again :D :D
Fan de LoK joined us shortly after and another fan from Netherlands. What a shame I can't remember his name (I hadn't emptied a drink at that point :lol: ). I hope Yorkie will help.
We had a very good time chatting till the midnight. :D
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I knew you would have a lot to say, Yorkie being a typical Yorkshire man – but I did enjoy reading your light hearted account of the Arundel experience. Good on you for leading the way in the clapping stakes, as you say no matter what the mistakes or slight imperfections on the night, they deserve to be appreciated for all the time they give to the cause.

Ed Day’s performance in leading vocals for ‘Mysterium’ at Edinburgh will probably be talked about in the annals of libera folklore. It was delivered by an exceptionally talented boy at the top of his game, admirably assisted by a group of boys at the top of theirs.
We are all agreed that Libera are in a phase of rebuilding. Whilst there have been some mixed reviews on this concert, from people who have been to previous Arundel concerts. I have every confidence that the current boys will get better and improve. Who knows, in some time to come, they might just deliver yet another standout moment.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

... oh and there does seem to a difference of opinion from people who haven’t seen Libera live before, to those who have and are perhaps comparing them to what’s gone before.

For example this is a comment from Libera’s guestbook by a first timer:
Hi
Was at your concert last night in Arundel,WOW I have never seen you live before and myself and the people sitting around me were blown away by your stunning performance.Well done to the whole group.Thankyou all for sharing your talent with the world.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

JimmyRiddle wrote:... oh and there does seem to a difference of opinion from people who haven’t seen Libera live before, to those who have and are perhaps comparing them to what’s gone before.

For example this is a comment from Libera’s guestbook by a first timer:
Hi
Was at your concert last night in Arundel,WOW I have never seen you live before and myself and the people sitting around me were blown away by your stunning performance.Well done to the whole group.Thankyou all for sharing your talent with the world.
Yep on the AV gorup few not great reviews . I think people who have seen them before know they can do better but we also know the avarage age has dropped and its gonna take them a few years to peek again.

Also a point raised that there seem to be a lot more members because they are more commerlized now. So more parents want there kids part of Libera.
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

[quote="JimmyRiddle"]... oh and there does seem to a difference of opinion from people who haven’t seen Libera live before, to those who have and are perhaps comparing them to what’s gone before.
[quote]
Yep, there is a difference.
But another point is that we are talking about group of kids performing for their enjoyment and for the audience's enjoyment. The history shows that there were numerous "generations" of Libera singers and the quality is keeped up all the time. So I think the singers, RP and all the management have set really high standarts for themselves. So I see no need to look much for drawbacks.
JoelinMkt
Silver Member

Post by JoelinMkt »

That was a great trilogy in four parts Yorkie, entertaining as it was informative. I am quite the believer here and do not need to have heard to know that they performed brilliantly (to borrow a word of theirs) and that the audience went home that night feeling far more blest than they did upon their arrival.

And thanks Patrick for the pics, they look none the worse for wear after an impromptu tour of the continent.

The management of Libera have raised their performances to levels where the music is not the only art. Their high standards are befitting their global billing as a world-renowned, chart-topping group.
"I am not hopeless. It's just, I'm not very good" - Michael Horncastle
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Thanks for all the generous reviews! Hopefully in the not so distant future, I will have the opportunity to attend Libera's concerts as well and possibly meet up with you guys! Seemed like you guys had a blast!

And I hope Agnus Dei and Ave Verum could be on their next album! :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Murkskis wrote:
And the afterparty wasn't mentioned at all yet ! :D
Just after the concert I and Yorkie rushed to the closest pub which is located in the same hotel choosed for a starting point for the keenly expected race between Yorkie and fan de LoK.
We just had occupaid the best table possible when all the Libera were passing by the pub. We saw them through the windows and they saw us as well. But they didn't come in, probably because as I said we took the best seats again :D :D
Fan de LoK joined us shortly after and another fan from Netherlands. What a shame I can't remember his name (I hadn't emptied a drink at that point :lol: ). I hope Yorkie will help.
We had a very good time chatting till the midnight. :D
Ahh yes, more beer. It was rather strange to see mini Ben, Josh and others looking straight at us as they walked past the window. I did at one point in the concert feel mini Ben was looking right at me (they were formed up in groups but standing at a diagonal to the audience) but he was probably looking at RP who was an arms length away. #edit# they should have nipped in and sung the third verse of Love and Mercy - that would have been apt!

One thing that I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned but they were locked in that church practicing for a LONG time - over two hours if I remember correctly. We could faintly hear the songs through the locked doors.

I'm not sure how normal that is but the opinion around me was that it was unusually long. Perhaps RP wasn't happy with how things were going so he kept them rehearsing in the hope they would be perfect or maybe they hadn't been together for a while and needed a work out.

Does make you wonder if such a long practice had an affect on any of the boys voices though.

Oh and one of the little speeches thanked fans from traveling from Japan, Sweden, France, USA, Latvia & Croyden (presumably a personal joke for his family) - but no mention of Yorkshire. I was right put out by that I was. I mean I had to wash mi flat cap, leave t'whippets with neighbour, close t'pigeon loft and stock up wi pork pies for t'trek to civilization.
Last edited by Yorkie on Mon May 17, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love