Videos of other choirs

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Found a video of All American Boys Choir singing the same song, The Moon Represents My Heart.

[youtube][/youtube]
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

This videos of choirs singing foreign song makes me appreciate Libera's version of "Bayan Ko" even more. They pronounced the words to Bayan Ko really well.
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Yep, it's definitely not easy to sing a full song in a foreign language. Especially the pronunciation part.
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

phlibera wrote:O Hayley Westenra... my 2nd favorite soprano. :) Nice.
very 'agreed' .... she is my favourite female soprano and has a wonderful voice.
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

yours 2nd and who is your first? :)

Heintje c/o Hendrik Nikolaas Theodoor Simons:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Sue wrote:
yours 2nd and who is your first? :)
Hehe... My favorite soprano is Sissel from Norway. She has such an amazing, unique, crystal clear voice!

To be back in topic of "other choirs", in the video below, she "sings" with the Nidaros Cathedral Girls' Choir. The choir is actually singing the words to the song, while Sissel joins the other non-voice instruments. Simply wonderful!

Wouldn't it be great for Libera to do something like this? Stefan, Mini Ben, Ralph, and Daniel could vocalize the instruments and the rest of Libera can sing the words. It would rival air in its beauty.

Sissel - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
[youtube][/youtube]

Below is the song that says "Titanic" more than any other song. That they didn't let her sing "My Heart Will Go On" is an unfortunate decision by James Horner, but he did choose her for the Overture and other tracks in the soundtrack so I guess we should thank him for introducing Sissel to the rest of the world.

Sissel - Titanic Suite
[youtube][/youtube]
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

Sue wrote:
Heintje c/o Hendrik Nikolaas Theodoor Simons:
Thanks for sharing this Sue, that boy has an exceptional voice. Is Heintje his name or the films name?
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

The Philippine Madrigal Singers (backed by the Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra) sang "Bayan Ko" earlier today during the inauguration of the 15th president of the Philippines. I thought the humming was inspired by Libera's version. :)

Edit: The people in the audience are not flashing the "loser" sign. :lol: They're flashing the "laban" (eng: "fight") sign, which the Liberal Party, the party of the current president, uses.
[youtube][/youtube]
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

It can be true about the humming ! :D
But if we talk about Libera's influence I was surprised in a good way to find this out:
when you type 'Bayan Ko' on Youtube search field, Libera's version is one of the most popular 8)
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Murkskis wrote:I was surprised in a good way to find this out:
when you type 'Bayan Ko' on Youtube search field, Libera's version is one of the most popular 8)
And rightfully so, because Prizeman's arrangement is the most heartfelt arrangement I have heard. But I do like the Ryan Cayabyab (who was the conductor, too in that video) arrangement used during the inauguration. It probably was as bone-chilling listening to it live as listening to Libera live. I hope it finds its way in a CD somehow.
Sue
Silver Member

Re: Videos of other choirs

Post by Sue »

Some of you know about the St Thomas Boys Choir from Leipzig, Germany. This choir is known beyond national borders. This year they celebrate their 800 year anniversary! They will go on tour to Great Britain, Korea & Japan this year.
The St Thomas Boys Choir has a boys boarding school (100 boys are living there), a musically oriented kindergarten / nursery school & an all-boys class for 8-year-olds to prepare them for the tightly organized daily schedule of a St Thomas chorister(2 rehearsals every day, school, 15 minutes for lunch, voice training & an instrument). All of the boys have to pass an entrance examination at the age of 7 or 8. The oldest choristers are 18. Here is an example for a St Thomas choristers christmas day:
1. choral performance in the St. Thomas Church - 5 am
2. Clause / giving with much waiting time before - afternoon
3. choral performance in church - evening
4. choral performance in a hospital or old people's home
5. walk the streets meanwhile singing carols

It's a christmas day without parents or family, there are only the other choristers & the cantor.

This is a TV report about the St Thomas Boys Choir, but it's in german.

[youtube][/youtube]
Malibu
Silver Member

Post by Malibu »

Unfortunately I don't speak German, so I couldn't understand a word they were talking about, but the little snippets of singing they had sounded beautiful. I'll have to look up some more vids if they exist.
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

No problem, there are much videos of St. Thomas Boys Choir online, examples:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]