Videos of other choirs

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

So, year, now its time for The Womens Choir Of The Music School Erfurt (Germany, state Thuringia)!
I am part of this choir (logical that its the best choir for me right :lol: ) and - to speak with Liam Connerys words - I Love It, I Really Enjoy It! :lol: :D 8)

The first one "Ave Maria" is sung with one of our treble/soprano soloists, her name is Kerstin. She sings since she was a child.

[youtube][/youtube]

Second one is "Ave Maris Stella", it was recorded at our concert in Vienna, Austria in December 2009

[youtube][/youtube]

Last one is a bit a christmas carol, i don't know the title in english, maybe "O christmas tree you bear/wear a green arm" or something like that.

[youtube][/youtube]
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

Yorkie wrote:Come on guys there must be many more choirs out there. Most people around the world who have heard of choirs will know about Kings College, Cambridge, but rather fewer will have heard of the choir at St John's College, Cambridge. Now I really really like King's, but people who know their music often say St John's is better.
Following Yorkie's train of thought, here is a short video I found online that gives more information about the Choir of St. John's College.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

plumpuff6 wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Come on guys there must be many more choirs out there. Most people around the world who have heard of choirs will know about Kings College, Cambridge, but rather fewer will have heard of the choir at St John's College, Cambridge. Now I really really like King's, but people who know their music often say St John's is better.
Following Yorkie's train of thought, here is a short video I found online that gives more information about the Choir of St. John's College.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I only posted the link because I am not sure how to embed videos...And I have way to much studying to do right now to figure it out...Lol. Which means I should probably log off of libera-dreams right now. :oops:
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

plumpuff6 wrote:
I only posted the link because I am not sure how to embed videos...And I have way to much studying to do right now to figure it out...Lol. Which means I should probably log off of libera-dreams right now. :oops:
embedding youtube is easy - just paste the link in your post, highlight the link and then click on the 'YouTube' option in the options (where you have the bold, italics and other text options) :D

Thanks for posting that video of St John's - it reminded me of something I should have shared earlier. St John's website has podcasts of services available on line. You can listen to the service and songs and get an idea of Anglican worship. It's worth listening to if only once just to get an idea of how things are done in a chapel with a first rate choir.

http://www.sjcchoir.co.uk/default.php?page=webcast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

New College, Oxford have a YouTube channel with some good music on it - well worth checking out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/NewCollegeChoir" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#Edit# Just realised my reference to the choir of New College seems odd because it was another thread that I posted links to them on. Well, don't want you to miss out so here goes:

[youtube][/youtube]

Sorry but no footage of the choir in these posts - only the music. If you want to buy one album of choral music sung in the English style then the album shown above (Agnus Dei - music of inner harmony by New College) is the one I would recommend. They did a follow up (same style of cover but copper colour rather than blue) but it isn't as good. Trust me and buy it, you'll love it.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

An older one but always be in vogue "Les Choristes" with Jean-Baptiste Maunier as soloist. Today Jean-Baptiste can't sing so high any longer :roll:

[youtube][/youtube]

here is the Dresdener Kreuzchor (Dresden cross choir) from Germany

[youtube][/youtube]

and the Thomas Boys Choir of Leipzig, Germany

[youtube][/youtube]
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

The Augsburger Domsingknaben (Augsburg cathedral singing boys) are singing for the german federal chancellor Mrs Merkel.

[youtube][/youtube]

The Hannover Boys Choir

[youtube][/youtube]

Nidarosdomens Guttekor from Norway

[youtube][/youtube]
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

So last Friday, April 23, I and some friends had a chance to attend a concert of the Las Piñas Boys Choir whose videos from Youtube I shared here in the past. It was held at the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral.

We loved their songs. And the crowd loved it, too. We especially loved their rendition of "Tears in Heaven". I don't know if the same soloist sang the solo at the Cathedral as the one in the recording below (which was recorded in 2007) because the soloist there had a fuller voice, but it could be him 3 years older. During this song my friend told me she was reminded of Libera and almost cried. This song gave me goosebumps, too. It's really different when you hear a choir sing live. The crowd gave the choir a number of standing ovations and this song got the loudest applause.

[youtube][/youtube]
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

[youtube][/youtube]

This is the Philippine's Loboc Children's Choir singing Tanging Yaman (Only Treasure), a famous song in the Philippines that is usually sung in church. There was also a movie with the same title, which used this as the soundtrack. The lyrics are by Fr. Manoling Francisco, S.J.

This is a rough translation that I found on the internet:

Ikaw ang aking Tanging Yaman (You are my only treasure)
Na di lubasang masumpungan (Which I cannot fully comprehend)
Ang nilikha mong kariktan (The loveliness you created)
Sulyap ng 'yong kagandahan (A view of your beauty)

Ika'y hanap sa t'wina, nitong pusong (My heart longs for you)
Ikaw lamang ang saya (You are my only joy)
Sa ganda ng umaga, (In the beauty of the morning)
Nangungulila sa'yo sinta (I long for you)

Ika'y hanap sa t'wina, (I always search for you)
Sa kapwa ko kita laging nadarama (In my fellow, I always feel you)
Sa iyong mga likha, (With your creations)
Hangad pa ring masdan ang 'yong mukha (I still long to see your face)
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

phlibera
Gold Member

The genius of John Williams

Post by phlibera »

Earlier this morning, "Home Alone" was shown on cable. Having seen this movie as a child, the music really brought back some happy memories of past Christmases.

Two original choral songs stood out, so much so that I immediately search for them in Youtube. I tried to look for some info on the choirs who performed the songs, but unfortunately I haven't found any.

Does anybody here knows which choir or choirs performed the two songs below?

I wish John Williams and Leslie Bricusse would collaborate on producing more choral songs. Somewhere In My Memory is a 65-second gem of a Christmas carol/hymn that compels the mind to think of all the joys of past Christmases. So even if your recent Christmases have not been happy ones, the song urges you to dig deeper in the recesses of your mind reassuring you that in there, somewhere, are joyous ones.

Star of Bethlehem
music by John Williams, lyrics by Leslie Bricusse
[youtube][/youtube]

Somewhere In My Memory
music by John Williams, lyrics by Leslie Bricusse
[youtube][/youtube]
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

I too tried looking to see if I could help you and had no such luck sorry! Whoever owns the actual cd or even the movie may be able to find out.
Deshaun(day-shawn!)

"Music is my Refuge. I can just crawl in between the spaces of the notes and curl my back to the loneliness."- Maya Angelou
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Sometimes I think I should have been born Chinese/Japanese, or somewhere in the far east. There appreciation of boy choirs is so civilised and respectful.

The Georgia Boy Choir performing 'Xiao Ma Xiao' at Beijing University

[youtube][/youtube]

..which leads me onto thinking what kind of reception would those boys from South London get, if they took their concert repertoire to China ;) I'm thinking that could be next on their market target list to crack!
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Sometimes I think I should have been born Chinese/Japanese, or somewhere in the far east. There appreciation of boy choirs is so civilised and respectful.

The Georgia Boy Choir performing 'Xiao Ma Xiao' at Beijing University

[youtube][/youtube]

..which leads me onto thinking what kind of reception would those boys from South London get, if they took their concert repertoire to China ;) I'm thinking that could be next on their market target list to crack!
Great find! Their pronunciation is spot on! I really can't visualize my reaction should Libera sing a Chinese song like this.. When Vienna Boys visit Asian countries like Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan, they usually sing "Mo Li Hua". "Mo Li Hua" is quite a popular choice amongst the western choirs touring far east, since it's probably one of the easier song, with repeating lyrics.
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Mo Li Hua

[youtube][/youtube]

A little off topic, but check out Hayley Westenra's singing duet for a popular chinese song - The Moon Represents My Heart. Pretty cool. Wow. Imagine Libera singing that.

[youtube][/youtube]
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

O Hayley Westenra... my 2nd favorite soprano. :) Nice.