''Time''- new offical video

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Morning All.

I'm not really an expert on when somebody loses control of his voice but at Edinburgh Liam sang Libera twice. The first time he did miss - just once - the high note. Other than that mis-step the rest of the song sounded perfect to me.

The second time he sang it for the encore and I was a little nervous for him but he just blasted through it without a missed step. Was the problem on the first one a sign of voice change or was it more mundane (maybe a cold)? Who knows?

By the way - just so we all know - I don't think anybody has said anything malicious or has anything to apologise for. We are just discussing our thoughts and sharing our point of view and experience because we all love Libera and appreciate what the boys do.
Last edited by Yorkie on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JoelinMkt
Silver Member

Post by JoelinMkt »

Yorkie wrote:Morning All.

I'm not really an expert on when somebody loses control of his voice but at Edinburgh Liam sang Libera twice. The first time he did miss - just once - the high note. Other than that mis-step the rest of the song sounded perfect to me.

The second time he sang it for the encore and I was a little nervous for him but he just blasted through it without a missed step. Was the problem on the first one a sign of voice change or was it more mundane (maybe a cold)? Who knows?

By the way - just so we all know - I don't think anybody has said anything malicious or has anything to apologise for. We are just discussing are thoughts and sharing are point of view and experience because we all love Libera and appreciate what the boys do.
I hear ya...

Liam is and has always been great as a singer and as a soloist. After all, he once had the responsibility to deliver the stratospheric notes of the volcaizing soloist in "Stay With Me" and the principal soloist in the eponymous "Libera". I don't think his singing voice has dropped to baritone or it would have stood out among the trebles in the MV of "Time".

Robert's skill in musical arrangement has been near infallible. There are many things he can do to remedy the issue of weak voice or faltering vocal range (for example adjust the pitch of the song, add second trebles, increase the number of principal leads). So there is no reason why anyone whether Liam or anyone else cannot sing a solo while an active member of Libera.

If Liam does sing a solo, I am fairly sure that Robert being a kind and decent person,would not allow any of his choristers to appear before a crowd in a state where the chorister would sing solo but not be able to deliver and complete what it is he is supposed to sing.

While I'd love to hear from the older boys, I am hoping to hear notes similar to those discussed on the other thread (the one about range). Those notes were all over Libera, Luminosa and Free CDs but are less frequent in the later releases. The only way we are gonna get those High C and above notes is if the younger ones sing more prominently.

::Off topic - I don't know why but I have this urge to hear another recording of San Damiano.::
Last edited by JoelinMkt on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not hopeless. It's just, I'm not very good" - Michael Horncastle
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

::Off topic - I don't know why but I have this urge to hear another recording of San Damiano.::
It is a beautiful piece, and if I'm not wrong, the first one they sang on TV. When I listen to Sing Forever or New Day, I also feel the urge to hear the current batch's recording of the old songs, even though we also want to hear new pieces from Libera.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

carina_gino20 wrote:
It is a beautiful piece, and if I'm not wrong, the first one they sang on TV.
It's were it all started for the famous South London boys choir/band...
[youtube]
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/youtube]
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

JimmyRiddle wrote:
carina_gino20 wrote:
[youtube]
This apparently contains a malformed video id o.O
alicealc

Post by alicealc »

irishoreo wrote:
JimmyRiddle wrote:
carina_gino20 wrote:
[youtube]
This apparently contains a malformed video id o.O
just remove the last [/youtube] tag:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

very very nice...now i wanna hear San Damiano....
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

carina_gino20 wrote:[
If you're referring to his speaking voice in the last concert, then yes it's very low. But if you meant his singing voice, I can say from what I heard in the Manila concert that he hasn't lost all control and neither was he all over the place. I'll grant that at some parts, it seemed like he had to put in a bit more effort in controlling his voice. But nowhere in his performance did he lose control. Well, that's how I heard it. Maybe someone who watched the Philippine tour has a better ear and heard something I didn't hear. :wink:
Remember though, speaking voice doesn't always have anything to do with singing voice. Remember Joe Snelling. Very low speaking voice(In Their Own Words Leiden video) yet he could sing quite high. I do believe though that Liam had his last hurrah as a high note trebel in Cebu. Something I am happy for him for. I am glad he had one last chance to still nail that note in Libera.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

Myabe its the new head phones I had just gotten....and I remember a board member mentioning this....but is it me or is Josh singing under Ben on the Ben's parts?! If so i never noticed(of course until i got the new head phones >.>)
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

irishoreo wrote:Myabe its the new head phones I had just gotten....and I remember a board member mentioning this....but is it me or is Josh singing under Ben on the Ben's parts?! If so i never noticed(of course until i got the new head phones >.>)
I think so. At first I missed it too, because I was so caught up in the whole sound, but when I listened to it carefully, I thought I detected Josh's voice below Ben's. However, I still haven't been able to detect Josh's voice on "Sanctissima". I read that some people thought they could single out his voice at around 1:14 or so, after Ben's solo, but I haven't been able to yet.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

random side bar.....why does it seem like Alfie NEVER smiles now adays?
JoelinMkt
Silver Member

Post by JoelinMkt »

irishoreo wrote:random side bar.....why does it seem like Alfie NEVER smiles now adays?
Crowds and audiences seem to intimidate him. He's very well animated in behind the scenes videos where the boys are, to borrow the expression, "larking around". Put him in a M&G or in a performance setting and his expression turns to one of fear that the fans are/audience is going to eat him.
"I am not hopeless. It's just, I'm not very good" - Michael Horncastle
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

JoelinMkt wrote:
irishoreo wrote:random side bar.....why does it seem like Alfie NEVER smiles now adays?
Crowds and audiences seem to intimidate him. He's very well animated in behind the scenes videos where the boys are, to borrow the expression, "larking around". Put him in a M&G or in a performance setting and his expression turns to one of fear that the fans are/audience is going to eat him.
I've noticed the same with Flynn. He never seems to smile much in public anymore. Maybe when he knows his picture is being taken but if it is a candid shot, he looks positivily grim.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

TEB wrote:
JoelinMkt wrote:
I've noticed the same with Flynn. He never seems to smile much in public anymore. Maybe when he knows his picture is being taken but if it is a candid shot, he looks positivily grim.
Both Alfie and Flynn seem to get very absorbed in the music (along with Kavana). In the SoP video, Flynn was a very animated singer. It looks like both boys enjoy it a lot. Maybe with Libera's popularity seeming to sky rocket over the past year or so, they are just intimidated and taken a back by it all. I mean, they've gone to Japan in spring 2009 where they're wildly popular, and then in the Philippines, they were very, very well received. I can see how even a M&G would be intimidating with all those adoring fans, lol.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
heeh91
Silver Member

Post by heeh91 »

irishoreo wrote:Myabe its the new head phones I had just gotten....and I remember a board member mentioning this....but is it me or is Josh singing under Ben on the Ben's parts?! If so i never noticed(of course until i got the new head phones >.>)
josh definitely is singing under ben on his parts! i think it's awesome.

starting in the video at 1:10 you can see josh singing with mini ben when he is in the background.