''Time''- new offical video

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote:Thanks for explaining that , just seems slighty odd as Josh's voice never became powerful as he did not have that type of voice. So for Ben's voice to change so drastically still rings alarm bells.
Well, it's just speculation on my part but it is possible. I really can't see them being able to record 12 or so tracks in one session (half term they were in the Philippines and I can't see them giving up Christmas). I think learning a song or two, practicing them and then recording them makes sense, but I stress it's pure supposition on my part.

And the voice change thing is so unpredictable it happens when it happens and in a way you can't predict. But it is possible for the voice to become 'better' before it is lost for ever. I hope it's that rather than a computer - that would be very unfortunate.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:
dani wrote:Thanks for explaining that , just seems slighty odd as Josh's voice never became powerful as he did not have that type of voice. So for Ben's voice to change so drastically still rings alarm bells.
Well, it's just speculation on my part but it is possible. I really can't see them being able to record 12 or so tracks in one session (half term they were in the Philippines and I can't see them giving up Christmas). I think learning a song or two, practicing them and then recording them makes sense, but I stress it's pure supposition on my part.

And the voice change thing is so unpredictable it happens when it happens and in a way you can't predict. But it is possible for the voice to become 'better' before it is lost for ever. I hope it's that rather than a computer - that would be very unfortunate.
I agree but i think its been said on youtube and maybe AV that Josh's voice has certainly been worked on with computer .
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote: I agree but i think its been said on youtube and maybe AV that Josh's voice has certainly been worked on with computer .
Well, I don't know enough about this kind of thing to be able to offer any true opinion but what I hear is a certain amount of reverb, which is not uncommon these days. I'm not sure that I hear anything else other than some echo, but then would I?

It's very easy to criticise (not that I would of course:roll:) - everybody is an expert on everything these days. For my part I'll accept it as it is and if I like it I won't worry too much about what might have been done with a computer. They can sing very nicely live, so I'm not sure why it would need a large amount of messing with when they can have as many goes as they like to get it just right in the recording studio.

To be honest, they write some right old crap on YouTube
:D

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:
dani wrote: I agree but i think its been said on youtube and maybe AV that Josh's voice has certainly been worked on with computer .
Well, I don't know enough about this kind of thing to be able to offer any true opinion but what I hear is a certain amount of reverb, which is not uncommon these days. I'm not sure that I hear anything else other than some echo, but then would I?

It's very easy to criticise (not that I would of course:roll:) - everybody is an expert on everything these days. For my part I'll accept it as it is and if I like it I won't worry too much about what might have been done with a computer. They can sing very nicely live, so I'm not sure why it would need a large amount of messing with when they can have as many goes as they like to get it just right in the recording studio.

To be honest, they write some right old crap on YouTube
:D
Yes Youtube comments are so much fun to read as you realise what a bunch of morons really excist in the world.

Yes i love Time and just thought its good to keep the convo going :D
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

My opinion on Ben's much louder singing voice is not so much on his soon to be change but that, just maybe, RP has been working with him and coaching him privately to have a better control with his voice with his personal volumn turned up a few notches. Proper breathing and stance can up the volumn, in either vocalists or instrumentalists. When I was in high school, oh so long ago, I made district band one year. At the 3 day weekend we had for rehersals and Sunday performance, all of us on french horn were given some breathing lessons to increase the volumn we played.

On a personal note, I think that maybe everyone needs to worry a little less on up coming voice changes in the older boys. It is going to happen, no matter how much we fret about it. I've noticed that Josh's new voice is still very pleasant to listen to.
This is the nature of a boy choir.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

TEB wrote:My opinion on Ben's much louder singing voice is not so much on his soon to be change but that, just maybe, RP has been working with him and coaching him privately to have a better control with his voice with his personal volumn turned up a few notches. Proper breathing and stance can up the volumn, in either vocalists or instrumentalists. When I was in high school, oh so long ago, I made district band one year. At the 3 day weekend we had for rehersals and Sunday performance, all of us on french horn were given some breathing lessons to increase the volumn we played.

On a personal note, I think that maybe everyone needs to worry a little less on up coming voice changes in the older boys. It is going to happen, no matter how much we fret about it. I've noticed that Josh's new voice is still very pleasant to listen to.

I quite agree with everything you stated here TEB, on a personal note I know that private voice coaching helps ALOT. Before I had taken private coaching my voice was a similar whisper to Ben's voice. Afterwards I could fill a large auditorium without a microphone, so I say it is HIGHLY plausible that RP had worked with Ben quite a lot especially since he probs fit 'Time' to Josh's and Ben's voices.

I also agree with changing the topic, boys grow up(i should know -_- lol) and yes the voice will change....too bad girls dont have to deal with any, or little voice change >.<
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TEB wrote: On a personal note, I think that maybe everyone needs to worry a little less on up coming voice changes in the older boys. It is going to happen, no matter how much we fret about it. I've noticed that Josh's new voice is still very pleasant to listen to.
I wasn't worrying about it Tom and I'm well aware that nature will take it's course. But it is an undeniable fact that a treble can gain a a more beautiful and richer voice just before the point it breaks - I don't see anything wrong in postulating that as a possible explanation for Ben's different sound.

I'm a little affronted to be honest that you think I was banging on about voice changes - you won't find any posts from me weeping and wailing about how I'm going to miss Tom, or Liam or Josh or anybody else. I think that seriously misrepresents the discussion that dani and I were having.

Your explanation is plausable too, although I would question why RP would leave it so long before giving Ben 'proper' training. If he has done that now it suggests to me he is not confident enough in the 'new' boys to replace Tom et al. And that is more worrying than talking about whether boy x's voice is on its way out :D
Last edited by Yorkie on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

TEB wrote: On a personal note, I think that maybe everyone needs to worry a little less on up coming voice changes in the older boys. It is going to happen, no matter how much we fret about it. I've noticed that Josh's new voice is still very pleasant to listen to.
That is part of what makes it (a boy choir) so beautiful, I think: the ever-present change and the unique sound that is generated. I suppose there could be all this hype about the older boys' voice changes, both past and impending (Tom, Liam, Josh, Mini-Ben, Ed, etc.) because so many of the older boys are retiring from their treble careers at the same time. Has this happened frequently before? I am not sure, as I became a fan of the group only about a year and a half ago, and have mostly been exposed to the Tom/Josh/Ed era (2005-present).

While I will miss Tom, Josh and Liam's treble voices, as well as other former Libera members, I am also very excited about what is yet to come. I like how even if the membership and soloists change, the overall sound of Libera remains top-notch. Each new group of boys and soloists brings something special to the song. For example, Ben C. and Joe P.'s version of "Do Not Stand" is different than Tom and Ed's version, but both are excellent. To me, Ben's version sounds more hopeful and Tom's a little sadder, but they both convey deep feeling.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Also wanna post and point out we was not banging on about Voice change at all. We was talking about the tecnical side of Libera recordings .
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Andrew, Dani,
I apoligise. I misinterpreted the comments. I too have only been a fan since the Angel Voices cd so I am feeling the loss of the boys who have left since then and may soon leave in the next 12 months or so.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TEB wrote:Andrew, Dani,
I apoligise. I misinterpreted the comments. I too have only been a fan since the Angel Voices cd so I am feeling the loss of the boys who have left since then and may soon leave in the next 12 months or so.
8) Apology accepted 8) I'm not going to miss them, I will always have them available to me. I do wonder about the future, naturally. We all know Libera line ups change but as I've posted elsewhere, and nobody has said I'm wrong, we don't ever appear to have 'lost' so many in such a short space of time.

Take care.

Mercy & Love
bar
Silver Member

Post by bar »

I definitely agree about the dynamic nature of boy choirs. I really think that dynamism is what lends the beauty.

On that note, I do think that Libera is experiencing a limbo/transition period. It's not that Prizeman thinks the new boys can't fill the shoes of their predecessors; I really don't think that's the issue.

I think the issue is simply that almost all their predecessors are experiencing voice drops at the same time. Whereas in the past there are always a few more experienced soloists to step up, it seems that this is the first real gap in experience Libera has had.

Notice that I say "experience" rather than "talent", because a lot of it does boil down to that. It may also be why Prizeman is giving some of the older boys (eg. Josh) "unexpected" solos, as many people on this forum have pointed out.
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

bar wrote:I definitely agree about the dynamic nature of boy choirs. I really think that dynamism is what lends the beauty.

On that note, I do think that Libera is experiencing a limbo/transition period. It's not that Prizeman thinks the new boys can't fill the shoes of their predecessors; I really don't think that's the issue.

I think the issue is simply that almost all their predecessors are experiencing voice drops at the same time. Whereas in the past there are always a few more experienced soloists to step up, it seems that this is the first real gap in experience Libera has had.

Notice that I say "experience" rather than "talent", because a lot of it does boil down to that. It may also be why Prizeman is giving some of the older boys (eg. Josh) "unexpected" solos, as many people on this forum have pointed out.

So extending on that very intelligent thought..... might there be a possibility that we could see a more "alto" album than a treble album? After all it looks like the only experienced trebles left are Ben and hopefully Ed. Liam's, Sam's(who was always a 2nd/third treble anyway) Jon's(who has been 2nd and 3rd for the past year or so im guessing) are all dropping so might we see unexpected solos fromt hem?

On the other hand Kavana, Mini-James, Stefan and Alex have already been taking over some solos already like Stefan had 'Salva Me' and Alex has 'Always With You' so we could be seeing solos from them more than likely. And what about Daniel, he's been given Stay With Me.....

soooo much speculation!
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

irishoreo wrote: So extending on that very intelligent thought..... might there be a possibility that we could see a more "alto" album than a treble album? After all it looks like the only experienced trebles left are Ben and hopefully Ed. Liam's, Sam's(who was always a 2nd/third treble anyway) Jon's(who has been 2nd and 3rd for the past year or so im guessing) are all dropping so might we see unexpected solos fromt hem?

On the other hand Kavana, Mini-James, Stefan and Alex have already been taking over some solos already like Stefan had 'Salva Me' and Alex has 'Always With You' so we could be seeing solos from them more than likely. And what about Daniel, he's been given Stay With Me.....

soooo much speculation!
As much as I'd love to hear the older boy's new voices, I doubt RP will do that. I just think it's too far from what the group is known for.

As for the gap, I think that it might be narrower than what we perceive it to be. I also think that maybe it was more noticeable last year in the April concert because of the sudden absence of Tom Cully. After all, for many years, he's taken on the lion's share of the solos. So there was quite a shake up there and perhaps some of the younger ones weren't ready for it in terms of experience, as Yorkie said. But now, I think that the new boys are more comfortable with the new responsibility. Some of the new ones have already shouldered a fair bit of the solos. Stefan, I must say, is ready to fill up the spots left by the old soloists. As much as the Philippine concerts were 'dominated' by mini-Ben, Stefan's high notes were just as attention-grabbing as well. Also, from what I've heard from Matthew, he's really someone to look out for. The other boys could only get better as they mature. It's a bright future, really. :)
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Daniel is an intresting one as somebody posted and said he was taken off Stay With me at one point because he simply was not good enough at one of the concents.