Visit of Norbury : by Walking or Flying ? :)

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Visit of Norbury : by Walking or Flying ? :)

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Yesterday I was looking for fun to see if Google Street had took photos of St Philip, Norbury.
It was almost that : a google car went just 1 road near the church !

Here St Philip, from the nearest point in Google Street, crossroad between Pollards Hill and Beech road.
The red roof through the trees is St Philip.

To virtually walk from Norbury Station to that crossroad, just click on this Google Street view link

(When the starting point is displayed like below, don't forget to click on the "street view" link...)

Then, follow London Road to the south (you have to do a u-turn first, to go bottom of the screen) and after 1 Km turn right on Pollards Hill :)

===============

And today I have seen that Bing Maps have nice aerial views of Norbury :)

Here some example :

(Beware, 3 MB photo !)
St Philip is in the upper right hand corner.

If interested, have a look on this topic in the french forum, I have uploaded a few other aerial views of Norbury ;)
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

Thanks for posting this! :D Though it looks like a long walk from the Norbury train station to the church, it's really not that bad - I've done it in less than 15 minutes. Also, if you walk up to the top of Pollards Hill Road, you get a really nice view of the surrounding area.

Rich
PiusPatronus

Post by PiusPatronus »

Haha, you have no idea how much google streets view-ing I did on that spot whilst at work :P
I even went around the place just to see what it looks like.

Its nice to see an aerial view of the church. Thanks!!
Quote from the movie Copying Beethoven
"The vibrations on the air are the breath of God speaking to man's soul. Music is the language of God. We musicians are as close to God as man can be. We hear his voice, we read his lips, we give birth to the children of God, who sing his praise. That's what musicians are. "
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

I like the last pic! ;) Thanks, a great view! :)
:wink: it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice :wink:
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Google Street View went to St Philip ! :D

But no white robe was seen at that moment ;)

Image Image Image

Clic on this image to enter to street view :)
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

The outside grounds look like they are in need of a bit of TLC. Has somebody dumped some rubbish over the railings at the front? The noticeboard looks like it needs repairing.
aaden

Post by aaden »

JimmyRiddle wrote:The outside grounds look like they are in need of a bit of TLC. Has somebody dumped some rubbish over the railings at the front? The noticeboard looks like it needs repairing.
yeh thas it. its a humble church...and thers always trash in south london :oops:
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

The rubbish may be the result of the works needed to rebuild the wall at the entrance of the church.

Remember that last year 2 cars hit each other in front of the church and one of them wrecks the outside wall.

(clic on the photo to read the article)

On the Google street photos, the wall is newly rebuilded. All the mess and garbage just asside may be the rest of the material, cement, bricks... :? :wink:
Last edited by fan_de_LoK on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

fan_de_LoK wrote:The rubbish may be the result of the works needed to rebuild the wall at the entrance of the church.

Remember that last year 2 cars hit each other in front of the church and one of them wrecks the outside wall.

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/nor ... ticle.html

On the Google street photos, the wall is newly rebuilded. All the mess and garbage just asside may be the rest of the material, cement, bricks... :? :wink:
Hi fan_de_LoK

thanks for this information which I didn't know. I was been there last September and I asked me also by myself what this 'rubbish' is doing there. :?

BTW: No white robes is correct but maybe there is a new voice on the image. :lol:
/viabuona
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

We need that google car to pass by again and retake the photo's for the front of the church.

I see on the french forum, fan_de_LoK has taken some photo's of his recent visit, and indeed they now have a new noticeboard.

...and the builders rubbish is gone too.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

JimmyRiddle wrote:We need that google car to pass by again and retake the photo's for the front of the church.

I see on the french forum, fan_de_LoK has taken some photo's of his recent visit, and indeed they now have a new noticeboard.

...and the builders rubbish is gone too.

Yes Jimmy, it's a point I checked when arriving at St Philip, no more garbage in front of the church, everything was nice and clean :D

Here the photos from the french forum ;)

Railway station

From start of Beatrice avenue.

Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

Great photo's fan_de_LoK, thanks for sharing.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yep, it's amazing what a brand new noticeboard outside can achieve, instead of one that's falling to bits. Makes a big difference. I wonder if things like this get funded by voluntary contributions by parishioners or if maybe some money from Libera/EMI helps them out?
Thunderhawk261
Silver Member

Post by Thunderhawk261 »

BTW: No white robes is correct but maybe there is a new voice on the image.
/viabuona
I thought the same as I saw the image before the faces were blurred. The kid looks like the mystery boy from the Peace album liner.