Recommend me some good books

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

maartendas wrote:
BrightEyes wrote:
2. "The Terror" - about Sir John Franklin's 1847 expedition to the Arctic to search for a Northwest Passage. Very frightening explanation for the disappearance of every soul on two Royal Navy ships "The Erebus" and "The Terror".
Do you know who wrote it? Sounds interesting.
Hi ya, Maarten :)

Dan Simmons wrote both novels I mentioned...

Here is the link to "The Terror" on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Terror-Novel-Dan-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 0316017442

It's really atmospheric, being set mainly on icebound ships in the 1840's.

Just the perfect reading for a chilly winter day.
"How can the light that burned so brightly, Suddenly burn so pale?"
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thanks BrightEyes! I'll post that one and The Giver (which several other users were enthusiastic about earlier, and which I had never heard of before) on my to-read list on Goodreads. :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

maartendas wrote:Thanks BrightEyes! I'll post that one and The Giver (which several other users were enthusiastic about earlier, and which I had never heard of before) on my to-read list on Goodreads. :)
I think you will like it Maarten. I have not heard of Goodreads before but I'm going to check it out today. I'm always ready for more good books to read.

Right now I'm still in a quandary over which e-reader/tablet to get. Possible contenders:

1. iPad2
2. Samsung Galaxy S
3. Kindle
4. Nook Color
5. Motorola Xoom ( this one looks good, but possible $800 pricetag)

Then there are entries coming from Dell, HP, Blackberry and Cisco!

O what am I to do.... maybe I should just get all of them. Yes that's the way!
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

BrightEyes wrote: Right now I'm still in a quandary over which e-reader/tablet to get. Possible contenders:

1. iPad2
2. Samsung Galaxy S
3. Kindle
4. Nook Color

I'd say ither the iPad2 or the Kindle! I (well, my dad) have both of them, and they are both great! My dad peronally likes the iPad better beause there is a back light, and he has terrible sight so that helps him, as the Kindle can be a bit dark at times. I'm sure you'd be fine with any one of those though! I personally prefer just normal old books, but the iPad is great for playing piano on! :lol: As well as other apps.
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

Rebecca (: wrote:
BrightEyes wrote: Right now I'm still in a quandary over which e-reader/tablet to get. Possible contenders:

1. iPad2
2. Samsung Galaxy S
3. Kindle
4. Nook Color

I'd say ither the iPad2 or the Kindle! I (well, my dad) have both of them, and they are both great! My dad peronally likes the iPad better beause there is a back light, and he has terrible sight so that helps him, as the Kindle can be a bit dark at times. I'm sure you'd be fine with any one of those though! I personally prefer just normal old books, but the iPad is great for playing piano on! :lol: As well as other apps.
Thanks, Rebecca :)

Yes I think I might go with the iPad 2 when it comes out since I would like to play Magic Piano. I saw a demo of that with "Fur Elise" and that's why I asked you if you knew how to play that.

I like good old fashioned paper books too, but I fear they'll slowly be going away. Plus the Kindle and e-readers are very convenient.

Anyhow, I appreciate the feedback on the Kindle and iPad. I think the backlight may be a very good feature for me too! If I get one of the other I will post back here and let you guys know how I like it.
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

BrightEyes wrote:
Murkskis wrote:Alexandre Dumas (French writer) 'The Three Musketeers' - excellent book ! Historical. It sells you war and duelling as an adventure and fun thing. You can take some 'lessons on loyalty' of this book :lol:
I've always liked the Three Musketeers movies, particularly the pair of films directed by Richard Lester in the 1970's that starred Michael York. So I suspect the book must be very good as well.
I'll try to get that version by Lester. :D
Have you ever seen this Russian version ? :wink:
The one that was filmed in 1978? It's very musical so you could enjoy it as well !
Here is a good part I found on YT

[youtube][/youtube]
And one more (with English subtitles) :)

[youtube][/youtube]
And yes- the book IS very good that's for sure 8)
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Post by BrightEyes »

Murkskis wrote:I'll try to get that version by Lester. :D
Have you ever seen this Russian version ? :wink:
The one that was filmed in 1978? It's very musical so you could enjoy it as well !
Here is a good part I found on YT

And yes- the book IS very good that's for sure 8)
Hey Murkskis, these clips were funny :) The musketeers singing in Russian made me laugh. The only part I could understand in the song was Merci beaucoup

I think you would like the Richard Lester films "The Three Musketeers" and "The Four Musketeers". Very good production values and the movies were well done. There's quite a bit of humor in them too, but no singing.

All for one, and one for all!
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

BrightEyes wrote:All for one, and one for all!
8)