Recommend me some good books

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Recommend me some good books

Post by Yorkie »

OK guys, I want your inspiration.

I'm in a book reading mood at the moment and have got through half a dozen in the last few weeks. Factual or fiction it matters not, I just finished Bernard Corwell's Azincourt (first of his I'd read) and enjoyed it (possibly not for the faint hearted, it's language can be a bit ripe).

So, what do you suggest?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Narnian

Re: Recommend me some good books

Post by Narnian »

Yorkie wrote:OK guys, I want your inspiration.

I'm in a book reading mood at the moment and have got through half a dozen in the last few weeks. Factual or fiction it matters not, I just finished Bernard Corwell's Azincourt (first of his I'd read) and enjoyed it (possibly not for the faint hearted, it's language can be a bit ripe).

So, what do you suggest?
:wink: The Chronicles of Narnia :roll: :roll: :roll: or maybe have you already read it? :)
:wink: it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice :wink:
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

As far as science fiction goes, just about anything by Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov.
If you like horror, Stephen King is one of the best.

A personal recommendation I will give you is Dracula by Bram Stoker. Even all these years later, that book is a great read and has been used for some real good movies. Most notedly, to me, Frank Langella's verison and Gary Oldman's version.

Going back to Stephen King for a second, I would recommend to you to read 'Salem's Lot first. It is a very good and very scary novel about vampires taking over a New England town. The way King writes it, you could actually see it happening without any way to stop it.

One last book. Ghost Story by Peter Straub. This is his best novel. A very good story with some real good scares in it.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

yeah... and what about The Bible? :roll:
whitetail1985

Post by whitetail1985 »

Narnian wrote:yeah... and what about The Bible? :roll:
This is a great book to read.

I personally like anything by Dan Brown "Digital Fortress" is a great book.
hyphus27

Post by hyphus27 »

ooh, i really like Digital Fortress too!

i recommend anything by David Sedaris. he has a written few collections of short stories on different themes (like death, the holidays, family members, etc.), and they're all pretty hilarious. try Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thanks all, keep them coming.

Narnia I read many, many years ago (ahh, to be young again) and did indeed enjoy them.

Stephen King is another I've read a lot of (didn't he once co-write with Peter Straub?? or have I got the wrong man). Anyway, Straub isn't somebody I've read a lot of so I'll put him on the list (Clarke and Asimov I've read some of in the past).

The Bible is a very good call but I must fess up to not being a religious man (I know, unheard of in the States).

Dan Brown I can tick off the list - read them all until the latest comes out over here next month.

David Sedaris is new to me so I'll see what I can find of his.

Thanks for your good work to date :D

Mercy & Love
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

Yorkie, It's very good that you are NOT a religious man. I am not too. I am a christian. And The bible is one of my favourite books. The Bible is good enough for everyone I think. Called book of books. Why? Answer is in. You have a choice. :wink:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Ah Narnian my friend, I fear I may always live in the shadow and never see the light.

Mercy & Love
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Yorkie wrote: Stephen King is another I've read a lot of (didn't he once co-write with Peter Straub?? or have I got the wrong man). Anyway, Straub isn't somebody I've read a lot of so I'll put him on the list (Clarke and Asimov I've read some of in the past).

:D

Yes, King and Straub did write two novels together, The Talisman and its sequal, Black House. The Talisman is a very good read and Black House, once you get past the first couple of chapters, is good as well.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Yorkie wrote:The Bible is a very good call but I must fess up to not being a religious man (I know, unheard of in the States).
How so?? I am not religious either, but feel a sense of peace when it comes to music... So maybe for right now, music is my religion.... I'll have to think on that one :wink: I can't say I can help you in the book area though, because being a female teenager, I don't read many books with any amount of value to them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

libera36 wrote:How so?? I am not religious either, but feel a sense of peace when it comes to music... So maybe for right now, music is my religion.... I'll have to think on that one :wink: I can't say I can help you in the book area though, because being a female teenager, I don't read many books with any amount of value to them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, obviously I know that not all you guys are followers of a faith, but we do over here in Europe get the impression that the USA is, in general, a pretty religious place and that religion plays a big part of life over there.

But I love you all anyway my brothers and sisters - creed or no creed.

p.s. I don't mind valueless as long as it entertains (and isn't about love. Or shoes).
Last edited by Yorkie on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TEB wrote:
Yorkie wrote: Stephen King is another I've read a lot of (didn't he once co-write with Peter Straub?? or have I got the wrong man). Anyway, Straub isn't somebody I've read a lot of so I'll put him on the list (Clarke and Asimov I've read some of in the past).

:D

Yes, King and Straub did write two novels together, The Talisman and its sequal, Black House. The Talisman is a very good read and Black House, once you get past the first couple of chapters, is good as well.
Talisman! Yes, that was a good read - didn't know they did a follow up so that's another one 8)

Mercy & Love
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

I don't know what kind of books spark your appetite but I can name a fair few being a bookworm.

Duncton Wood,

Watership Down,

Dragon Weather, Dragon Society, and Dragon Venom by Lawrence Watt Evans

Castaways of the Flying Dutchman, The Angels Command, and Voyage of Slaves by Brian Jacques.

I could name more, but don't have time to post much else tonight. Have fun reading.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
libera36

Post by libera36 »

I read Watership Down this summer, and I absolutely loved it! It is definitely on my top 10 favorite books. :wink: