Musical gems

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: Musical gems

Post by TullyBascombe »

Good choices, how about "You Were There"?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:37 am">3 months ago</span> So here are some of the best videos that I feel would introduce Libera to a brand new audience .

I will mention Time , Far Away , COTB and Ave Verum but the videos are already up so I won’t clog up on the page. Is it not time we got a new DVD thinking about it 8)

I have added a few more I had forgotten.
Interesting. I see you included Libera which I pondered about but I just didn't feel the video merited it.

Prayer I can appreciate the performance but the song does nothing for me - but the original question was great performances so I can see the merit for inclusion.

Mysterium I love but this video wouldn't be good enough for a DVD - maybe if they have Ed Day version circa 2009 or Stefan & Ralph 2010 then that would be special :D

I'm surprised you included songs for the people over Sing, I would have said that was more engaging number.

Love seeing your likes. What about your CD tracks?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie you are forgetting AI for Mysterium . I am sure magic could be worked to make it watchable in high resolution :lol:
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I have gone with varied repertoire to appeal to everybody. This has taken a lot longer than I anticipated because I had to make sure I wasn’t just picking my favorites.

1) O Beata
2) Three ravens
3) Home
4) Angele Dei
5) Wayfaring Stranger
6) Ave Virgo
7) Sing for our world
8) Orinoco Flow
9) God only knows
10) Angel
11) O Holy Night
12) Ave Maria
13) In Paradisum
14) Recordare
15) Salva Me
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:47 pm">3 months ago</span> Yorkie you are forgetting AI for Mysterium . I am sure magic could be worked to make it watchable in high resolution :lol:
Nah, just perform it at a concert and recreate the movements from 2009 or 2010 - much better than AI 😁

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:38 am">3 months ago</span> I have gone with varied repertoire to appeal to everybody. This has taken a lot longer than I anticipated because I had to make sure I wasn’t just picking my favorites.

1) O Beata
2) Three ravens
3) Home
4) Angele Dei
5) Wayfaring Stranger
6) Ave Virgo
7) Sing for our world
8) Orinoco Flow
9) God only knows
10) Angel
11) O Holy Night
12) Ave Maria
13) In Paradisum
14) Recordare
15) Salva Me
Oh, I like your list 👍 You were bravour than I by including Three Ravens. Which Ave Maria would you pick?

Mercy & Love
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Great choices, everyone! I'm only surprised that James Mordaunt's exquisite "Touch the Sky" (composed by Ben Crawley and recorded on PEACE, 2010) hasn't made an appearance. I seem to have a weakness for some other more obscure pieces, several of which have never appeared in concert. For instance:

Do Not Stand (ANGEL VOICES: LIBERA IN CONCERT, 2007)
Lead, Kindly Light (PEACE, 2010)
The Lamb (NEW DAWN, 2008)
O Lord Support Us (IF, 2021)
Beati Quorum (FOREVER, 2023)
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:31 pm">3 months ago</span>
dani wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:38 am">3 months ago</span> I have gone with varied repertoire to appeal to everybody. This has taken a lot longer than I anticipated because I had to make sure I wasn’t just picking my favorites.

1) O Beata
2) Three ravens
3) Home
4) Angele Dei
5) Wayfaring Stranger
6) Ave Virgo
7) Sing for our world
8) Orinoco Flow
9) God only knows
10) Angel
11) O Holy Night
12) Ave Maria
13) In Paradisum
14) Recordare
15) Salva Me
Oh, I like your list 👍 You were bravour than I by including Three Ravens. Which Ave Maria would you pick?

I will admit I cheated as I couldn’t decide as my personal favorite is Caccini but looking at YouTube hits their Leiden one seems a lot more popular. So I copped out by not stating which version I meant in my list :lol:
Last edited by dani on Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:26 pm">3 months ago</span> Great choices, everyone! I'm only surprised that James Mordaunt's exquisite "Touch the Sky" (composed by Ben Crawley and recorded on PEACE, 2010) hasn't made an appearance. I seem to have a weakness for some other more obscure pieces, several of which have never appeared in concert. For instance:

Do Not Stand (ANGEL VOICES: LIBERA IN CONCERT, 2007)
Lead, Kindly Light (PEACE, 2010)
The Lamb (NEW DAWN, 2008)
O Lord Support Us (IF, 2021)
Beati Quorum (FOREVER, 2023)
Oh I like James' Touch the Sky very much, but perhaps I was more concerned with creating a CD & DVD that would sell Libera to a new audience than I was with picking my favourites. Perhaps in hindsight I drifted a little too far from your concept of 'great performances' :(

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:44 pm">3 months ago</span>
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:31 pm">3 months ago</span>

1) O Beata
2) Three ravens
3) Home
4) Angele Dei
5) Wayfaring Stranger
6) Ave Virgo
7) Sing for our world
8) Orinoco Flow
9) God only knows
10) Angel
11) O Holy Night
12) Ave Maria
13) In Paradisum
14) Recordare
15) Salva Me

I will admit I cheated as I couldn’t decide as my personal favorite is Caccini but looking at YouTube hits their Leiden one seems a lot more popular. So I copped out by now saying which one in my list :lol:
Caught you :lol:

Mercy & Love
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Ooooh, well I have some of those you picked for your albums in mine, but not all of it... And I think my methodology was a bit different :lol:

Let's start with the DVD. I made a list of great solos/soloists I wanted to include in the DVD, and decided it would be half live-performances, half studio-made-videos. Also I sorted it sort of in a chronological order, and the songs would be introduced with context, date of concert or video release, name of the soloist, place, so that it gives a full idea of how the choir has developped during the years, worldwide.

For the DVD :

1 I will sing for you - Ben Crawley

I wanted Big Ben included, and honestly I would have qualified "Semele" as a great great great performance, but the rules said either a song with a soloist or a full choir song, not "a full solo song" :mrgreen:

2 Far Away - Michael Horncastle

One of the songs that introduced me with Libera, best solo ever on this song, and you can still hear it during concert.

4 Ave Maria by R. Prizeman in Leiden - Ed Day and Tom C (live)

A very great R. Prizeman composition, and the soloists nailed it. I would love to hear the duet like that live, and clearly lately it has never been done, which shows Ed and Tom delivered a great performance.

5 O Sanctissima - Ben Philip

I simply like the piece, and I figured Mini-Ben was pretty good on this one. Also it's a nice video.

6 Gaudete from Christmas in Ireland - Matthew J (live)

Matthew's solo was awesome, the lights, the choregraphy, are great... And I have heard Gaudete by other choirs and none made me like the song as much as Libera.

7 Danny Boy from Christmas in Ireland - Isaac London (live)

Isaac had to sing a solo on this DVD.

7 Ave Maria by Schubert - Thomas DL (live)

I am surprised none of you quoted this one, which is one of the greatest Libera performances ever ? No other explanation. It's like, one of the first I thought of.

8 Be Still My Soul (live)

I wanted an other piece from this concert, and this one looks great, the lights, the choir, it's a good video and Libera always amazes me with that song.

9 Cum Dederit - Dominik

Well, you know. One of the craziest moment ever during a live Libera concert for me was hearing Dom singing this one flawlessly.

10 If - Daniel

Daniel is exceptional on this one, and the video is nice.

11 The Lighthouse

Well of course, Luca would be in the DVD. And I feel it is one of the songs he really shines on, so here it goes.

12 Ave Verum by Freddie M

Because.

BONUS VIDEOS
I would have two songs included as bonus surprise videos.

13 Libera Leiden (live)
Ideally it would be introduced with the current boys showing their little introduction of Libera with the 7 part.
Then this video :

14 Sing
I would use the video of the mashup. The current boys would also make an introduction, talking for a few minutes about their experience in various countries and singing in different languages during the tours.

It took me much more time than expected to do the DVD, so maybe the album will come tomorrow :mrgreen: Or later tonight... Who knows ?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:55 pm">3 months ago</span> Ooooh, well I have some of those you picked for your albums in mine, but not all of it... And I think my methodology was a bit different :lol:

Let's start with the DVD. I made a list of great solos/soloists I wanted to include in the DVD, and decided it would be half live-performances, half studio-made-videos. Also I sorted it sort of in a chronological order, and the songs would be introduced with context, date of concert or video release, name of the soloist, place, so that it gives a full idea of how the choir has developped during the years, worldwide.
Nice list. I like the idea of picking great soloists and then picking a representative performance.

There is a very good reason that I didn't include TDL's AM and that is because I don't like the Schubert AM. It just doesn't do it for me and whilst I can appreciate the singer and the performance, I couldn't chose a song I dislike.

On just about all the songs we differ on your pick was on my shortlist so we were not too far apart 😁

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:55 pm">3 months ago</span>
Some wonderful choices and it’s fascinating to see how everybody is coming at the question with a different angle so makes it even more fun to see the lists.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Speaking of "Ave Maria"s, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Tadgh Fitzgerald's take on the Schubert version in the "Apart But Together" concert during Covid.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:44 pm">3 months ago</span> Speaking of "Ave Maria"s, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Tadgh Fitzgerald's take on the Schubert version in the "Apart But Together" concert during Covid.

It was brilliantly done by Tadgh but I am not a fan of that version Ave Maria and we only have so many slots to fill :) .