Musical gems

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

seraphita
Silver Member

Musical gems

Post by seraphita »

Libera has released many beautiful songs in recent years, some of which are very beautiful and timeless. I would like to mention these musical gems in this topic. It's a personal preference and in no particular order.

=====

A beautiful and harmonious song that always remains very beautiful is:

Sempiterna - Visions 2005 - solo Tom Cully

Lyrics:
Conditor alme siderum
Aeterna lux credentium
Christe redemptor omnium
Exaudi preces supplicum

Qui condolens interitu
Mortis perire saeculum
Salvasti mundum languidum
Donans reis remedium

Laus honor virtus Gloria
Deo Patri cum Filio
Sancto simul paraclito
In sempiterna saecula

Creator conditor perpetua
Exulta clamava in saecula

=====

Overall Meaning

The lyrics to Libera's Sempiterna are in Latin and are a prayer, calling out to Christ as the "Creator and Redeemer of all" and the "eternal light of believers." The prayer acknowledges Christ's compassion and empathy for the pain and suffering of humanity, expressing gratitude for his salvation of a "lethargic world" through the granting of healing to those who had become scoundrels.

The final verse is a beautiful tribute to the Holy Trinity, praising and honoring God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit "in eternal ages." This final verse is a powerful reminder of the everlasting nature of Christ's love and the divinity and unity of God.

Overall, the lyrics are a heartfelt expression of faith and devotion to Christ, acknowledging his redemptive power and the need for his salvation in a troubled world.

source: https://sonichits.com/video/Libera/Sempiterna
[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Re: Musical gems

Post by Amie_Hill »

OK, here's a good January pastime: You're compiling a two-disc album called LIBERA:GREAT PERFORMANCES, featuring Libera songs and videos, beginning with the group's "official" founding in 1999.

One disc is a CD, the other a DVD.The CD is composed of up to 12-14 audio tracks; the DVD contains an equivalent number of music videos. The "great performances" can be solos with group backing, or full-group songs with no solos (e.g. "Gloria," "Mother of God," "Adoro Te").

Which songs do you choose for each?
Jack

Post by Jack »

Somehow we had the same idea at the exact same time. I would qualify this one as gem: https://forum.libera-dreams.com/viewtopic.php?t=4093
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

In this topic I would like to mention all my favorites in the near future.
Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:04 pm">3 months ago</span> OK, here's a good January pastime: You're compiling a two-disc album called LIBERA:GREAT PERFORMANCES, featuring Libera songs and videos, beginning with the group's "official" founding in 1999.

One disc is a CD, the other a DVD.The CD is composed of up to 12-14 audio tracks; the DVD contains an equivalent number of music videos. The "great performances" can be solos with group backing, or full-group songs with no solos (e.g. "Gloria," "Mother of God," "Adoro Te").

[]_________[]_________[]

seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

Indeed a gem!!

Jack wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:47 pm">3 months ago</span> Somehow we had the same idea at the exact same time. I would qualify this one as gem: https://forum.libera-dreams.com/viewtopic.php?t=4093
[]_________[]_________[]

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

seraphita wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:19 pm">3 months ago</span>
The lyrics to Libera's Sempiterna are in Latin and are a prayer, calling out to Christ as the "Creator and Redeemer of all" and the "eternal light of believers." The prayer acknowledges Christ's compassion and empathy for the pain and suffering of humanity, expressing gratitude for his salvation of a "lethargic world" through the granting of healing to those who had become scoundrels.

The final verse is a beautiful tribute to the Holy Trinity, praising and honoring God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit "in eternal ages." This final verse is a powerful reminder of the everlasting nature of Christ's love and the divinity and unity of God.

Overall, the lyrics are a heartfelt expression of faith and devotion to Christ, acknowledging his redemptive power and the need for his salvation in a troubled world.

source: https://sonichits.com/video/Libera/Sempiterna
If I'm not mistaken I believe that Robert Prizeman was a devout and practicing Catholic, so his choice of a well known liturgical poem, which has been the basis of a number of liturgical hymns and anthems, is unsurprising. Though it looks like he added the lines "Creator conditor perpetua, Exulta clamava in saecula" himself. As I have no background in Latin I turn to online translation tools to tell me that it means "The creator, the eternal founder, cried out for joy for ever".

I think the second line should say either "Cry out for joy forever" or "I cry out for joy forever" based upon context. Anyone here with any level of erudition in Latin please jump in and let us know!

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:04 pm">3 months ago</span> OK, here's a good January pastime: You're compiling a two-disc album called LIBERA:GREAT PERFORMANCES, featuring Libera songs and videos, beginning with the group's "official" founding in 1999.

"If" would have to be on this. With Daniel's inimitable voice, the lovely melody, and the touching lyrics, I can imagine no Libera best of the best compilation without it!
If at the sound of a wish the summer sun would shine
and if just a smile would do to brush all the clouds from the sky

If at the blink of an eye the autumn leaves would whirl
and if you could sigh a deep sigh to scatter them over the earth

I’d blink my eyes and wave my arms
I’d wish a wish to stop all harm

If at the wave of a hand the winter snows would start
and if you could just light a candle to change people’s feelings and hearts

I’d whisper love in every land to every child woman and man
That’s what I’d do if my wishes come true
I always feel a shiver go down my spine at those bolded lyrics for some reason because there's something so very calming and almost hypnotizing about a winter snow - a snow that seems to wash away the animus people feel in their hearts towards one another. Or at least that's how the words touch me on a personal level! The other lines of the song are equally poignant.

"Wexford Carol" would also have to be on this album! I may come back later with more thoughts for this hypothetical compilation depending on what others say :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Oh, I like this idea. I'm going to have a think about that one and compile my list. Some are very very easy (original Voca Me & Vespera videos) but it will be interesting not to repeat the two and also cover the generations. Challenge accepted.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
LordG

Post by LordG »

There has to be mentioned, my all-time favourite.

Libera - Time

The following should not go unmentioned

Vespera by Libera (Solo: Steven Geraghty)

Libera - Deep Peace

Locus Iste

I am the Day
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

So, the premise is to create a two-disc album, one of tracks and one of videos, called “Libera: Great Performances” from the 1999+ period. An interesting idea and I hope that other members will share their lists as well.

Although not stipulated in the original challenge, I decided that I would not replicate any of the tracks on the discs – so no Libera form the eponymous 1999 CD and also the music video of Libera released by Warner Classics. Additionally, I decided to only pick one track from each album (excluding the compilation albums, different international releases, and Christmas CDs) to show an evolution of the group through the years. Finally, and rather restricting, I didn’t just pick my favourites or what I considered to be the greatest performances because I was approaching this as a release to showcase the talent and range of Libera to people who don’t know them and, frankly, some of the things I like are not mainstream popular (Three Ravens anybody?).

I started with my DVD because that seemed the easiest place and there are fewer of them. Some videos that I like I have left off because of the tracks I want to pick for my CD listing. When it comes to the DVD I haven’t focused on the albums they are taken from so this is a closer match to what I personally favour. I haven’t excluded concert videos, Christmas videos or TV appearances from the list:

1. Voca Me

Very, very easy and if this doesn’t appear on almost everybody’s list I would be surprised. Very creative and atmospheric I also think the song is definitely amongst the greatest performances of Libera.

2. Vespera

Similar to above. This was a time when the record company were making videos for a Classic TV channel and it shows. Steven Geraghty is my all time favourite singer and his voice shines on this.

3. Stay With Me

I think you could guess that this one was coming because it is of a time with the first two. Great singing, great video.

4. Time

Beautiful song and interesting video. An easy pick for the DVD.

5. Angel

Another easy pick because it ticks all the boxes.

6. Carol of the Bells

I skipped the Christmas albums for the CD, but we couldn’t not have this one. I actually prefer the original video but with over 29 million views the public seem to prefer this one so in it goes.

7. Wayfaring Stranger

A live recording and surely this qualifies as a great performance. Sadly, I wasn’t at the recording but I’m told the lighting was even more effective when seeing it live. Thinking of this makes me remember some of the great staging that they used to do when I first started going to concerts. However back then they used to have fewer performing members so has more room to be creative (or like here they have a massive space to utilise). Of course, it is a trade off and it is good that they all now get to stand on stage and perform in live concerts.

8. Far Away

This is the YouTube video that brought them to my attention so there is no way I couldn’t include it on my DVD.

9. Once an Angel

Can’t hear this without thinking of Robert and without Robert none of this would have happened. Must have for my DVD.

10. In Paradisum

Nice little story video that I think has its place on my DVD.

11. Locus Iste

This is where it starts to get tough and trade-offs are made between the two discs. Hard to have any lists of Libera greatest without having Sanctus in there so I have chosen to include it on the DVD

12. Eternal Light

Had to have Stefan and Ralph in the mix and it was between this and O Holy Night which I possibly like more but hey, it isn’t all about me.

13. Cum Dederit

Here I break away from my attempt to go with the popular over my personal preference. If you are looking for a great vocal tour de force, one of the greatest over the history of the group, then look no further than Dominik’s performance on this. That he sang it just as well live is remarkable.

14. Danny Boy (a cappella)

I wanted to include a live a cappella performance and I had two in mind, the other being Nearer My God To Thee. I like both equally. Nearer has some personal sentiment attached linked to the death of my father, but Danny had a higher number of views so I went with that.

15. Bonus feature

All DVDs have bonus features, and this is mine. It shows that the group have a fun side and it makes me laugh no matter how many times I see it.

So that is my DVD which I think contains high quality videos, a representation of Libera’s style and some great singers/performances. There are many I would have liked to include but that’s what makes the challenge fun.

I’ll be back after the football to do my CD list.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Wow! What a well thought out list. Thanks for sharing and for the explanations, I think you're spot on regarding what would appeal to a potential fan.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Now for my CD. This was harder than the DVD but due to Libera’s habit or recycling tracks across multiple CD albums there was wriggle room to get in many (but sadly no all) of the tracks I appreciate. As stated above, I am not repeating any of the songs from the DVD and I am selecting one track from each CD album (not including Christmas albums, compilations, or foreign releases). The criteria was great performances and I have tried to include that but also I’ve expanded it to include great (classic) Libera songs and also ones that I hope a wide audience would enjoy.

1. Libera (1999) – Salva me

So many choices, what to leave out? I think this one has stood the test of time and has been regularly performed at concerts where it is always a favourite.

2. Luminosa (2001) – Stabat

Pondered over Ave Maria and Sacris Solemnis but ultimately, I think this is my favourite from this album.

3. Free (2004) – I am the Day

So many options on this Album and a number are already in my DVD list; this is certainly one of their best albums overall for the huge number of Libera classic songs. Sadly, Do Not Stand, Lament & Twilight miss out.

4. Visions (2005) - Sempiterna

In the end I was swayed by the vocal of Tom Culley just ahead of that of Conor O’Donnell of Recordare. I also like We are the Lost and I almost included it on my DVD but sadly I can’t include everything.

5. Angel Voices (2006) – Be Still, My Soul

This album gives me a chance to include some of the tracks I left out from previous albums but which one to choose? I settled on Be Still because I think the base tune of Finlandia is gorgeous and the lyrics are moving. They have done a couple of videos for this one and the one for the Songs of Praise Holocaust memorial programme is particularly tear inducing. I didn’t include it on my DVD but I couldn’t miss it from the CD because it is an Anglican Hymn sung perfectly.

6. Angel Voices: Libera in concert (2007) – Do not stand at my grave and weep

Initially I was intending to include Ave Maria here, but it seems that is only on the concert DVD, not the album. So, I had to pick between Going Home, Adoramus and Libera, and I’m ashamed to say that the song Libera does not feature on either of my lists which I wonder if I am making a mistake there…That said, I do like the performance of this one and that after all is what we are looking for.

7. New dawn (2008) – Ave Maria

I felt I had to have an Ave Maria somewhere in my double-album and if I was going to pick one of the various versions, I think the Caccini one is most special. Another outstanding vocal from Tom Cully.

8. Peace (2010) – The Fountain

Another album that comes down to what am I going to cut. Had it been just what I liked I might have been tempted to go with Touch the Sky but I kept to what I consider would be most appreciated by a wider audience.

9. Angels Sing: Libera in America (2015) – How shall I Sing that Majesty

Was this Sam on the solo parts? I think it was. The stand out track for me was also his in the form of Wayfaring Stranger but that one had to go on my DVD. Sorry but I’m not picking America the Beautiful!

10. Hope (2017) – Dreaming of Home

Now what I wanted to pick was Three Ravens but that would be a somewhat niche choice that may not resonate with most. Even discounting that there are so many excellent tracks that I could pick - Benedictus Deus, Angele Dei, From a Distance, Venite Adoramus, Home. But in the end I thought Camden merited the pick and recognition of the amazing musician and young man that he is.

11. Beyond (2018) – Benedictus Deus

Conveniently it appeared on two albums back-to-back and although the soloist differs, the quality is consistent between them. So, Tom D-L misses out (sadly but no reflection on his version) and Leo gets the nod.

12. If (2021) – Lux Aeterna

Yet again it is a question of what to leave out rather than what to include. I felt this one was representative of Robert’s compositions for the boy’s voices. It retains that sound from the early albums and is hauntingly beautiful.

13. Forever (2023) – Ave Verum

Well, this one was easy. If we are talking about great performances then surely Freddie has that covered and then some. It could easily have been on the DVD but I wanted to include Dominik’s equally compelling vocal performance on that one.

So, there you have it. Pull it to pieces, tell me I’m wrong, shout at me for leaving out your favourite. My only disappointment is not being able to find room for Exultate in my list….

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie some amazing tracks you have picked but definitely some I wouldn’t have gone for. I will have to sit down and do a list. Mine would be a lot more uneven because some of the early tracks I would go with more than the current stuff.

You also reminded me it’s still an absolute travesty that Tom DL I’m dreaming of home never made an album. For me it’s up there as one of the best live performances they did in that era. He always nailed his solo part to perfection and was a true Libera great :mrgreen:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:41 pm">3 months ago</span> Yorkie some amazing tracks you have picked but definitely some I wouldn’t have gone for. I will have to sit down and do a list. Mine would be a lot more uneven because some of the early tracks I would go with more than the current stuff.

You also reminded me it’s still an absolute travesty that Tom DL I’m dreaming of home never made an album. For me it’s up there as one of the best live performances they did in that era. He always nailed his solo part to perfection and was a true Libera great :mrgreen:
There is no right or wrong way of doing it. I limited myself to no repeats with the DVD & one track per album which was my choice. Admittedly I was also focusing on making something that non-Libera fans might appreciate and maybe that was unnecessary.

So, let's see your list dani :D

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:01 pm">3 months ago</span>
dani wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:41 pm">3 months ago</span> Yorkie some amazing tracks you have picked but definitely some I wouldn’t have gone for. I will have to sit down and do a list. Mine would be a lot more uneven because some of the early tracks I would go with more than the current stuff.

There is no right or wrong way of doing it. I limited myself to no repeats with the DVD & one track per album which was my choice. Admittedly I was also focusing on making something that non-Libera fans might appreciate and maybe that was unnecessary.

So, let's see your list dani :D

Funny you said that about “ Non Libera fans might appreciate” more as I was thinking that as some of the easy listening songs seem quite popular so then should they make my list. Also it’s quite a challenge if you do one song from every album to get a broader range.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

So here are some of the best videos that I feel would introduce Libera to a brand new audience .

In no particular order

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

The song that started it all , how could I not include it :mrgreen:

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

Prayer even though you can tell Isaac is nervous he just nails it. Another video that shows the boys singing talent while visually being great to watch.

Stay with Me
[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

Liam and Ed solos are spot on and the rest of the choir blend seamlessly. The choreography also brings it all together. I actually really miss some of their choreography now as it definitely adds something for me at concerts.

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

Mysterium when this used to open the second part of the concerts it used to give me chills. Unfortunately this is only live video we have of this wonderful song. I have never heard a bad live performance of this and it’s truly spellbinding in a concert.

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

Vespera just a fantastic video and Steven was simply magnificent as a soloist.

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

Sanctus 2

A jazzed up Sanctus with fantastic older boys voices included. What’s not to love :mrgreen:

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

If a wonderful solo performance that shows you how really talented these boys are when you consider this is a hobby.

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

I Saw three ships is a classic Christmas song that we all know and when Sam gets a chance to remix it he makes it a Libera classic. It’s pure bouncy fun and the boys love singing it and it’s just a all round fun experience to watch the boys become so animated on stage.

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

How Shall I Sing That Majesty

Stefan nailed this song and I wish I had got more chances to hear it live with him as lead soloist.

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

Let Me Make Songs This opened the concerts during the lockdown concerts if I remember correctly and showcased the boys as a collective.

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

Song of Life as I needed a Ralph Solo and this is for me takatsugu muramatsu best Song he has written for the group.

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

Ave Verum

This is Another Classic for me and I would love to hear it back in concerts as it’s been awhile and showcases the blending of voices very well.

I will mention Time , Far Away , COTB and Ave Verum but the videos are already up so I won’t clog up on the page. Is it not time we got a new DVD thinking about it 8)

I have added a few more I had forgotten.
Last edited by dani on Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.