Young Chorister of the Year

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Celtic

Young Chorister of the Year

Post by Celtic »

Weren't we going to have a YCOTY thread?

Luca is in the final this Sunday. But as discussed in Luca's thread:
Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:56 pm">1 year ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:45 pm">1 year ago</span>
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:19 pm">1 year ago</span>

For some reason, the BBC seems to think that pitting 17-year-old girls against 12-year-old boys is fair and proper, so their's not much we or he can do about that.
Yeah, I think it was best when having separate competitions for boys and girls. Although, the age limit is 16, not 17. I wonder if they were trying to cut costs by combining them into one competition.
Either an age limit of 14 or go back to having two winners.

It may well be that the change was made to make the final more "dramatic" with a single winner, or to keep the length of the broadcast down. Either way, someone didn't think properly about the potential implications.
But that's not to say Luca doesn't have a chance, and I will be watching and hoping he wins.

The winner performs at Cadogan Hall in London on the 13th.

A more sure bet is this one with finalist Sam confirmed as the soloist.
► Show Spoiler
Although, it is possible he might only sing one song, but I might go and hope for more.
Last edited by Celtic on Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celtic

Re: Young Chorister of the Year

Post by Celtic »

This is just a continuation of my chain of thought regarding YCOTY winners.

My objection to the change in format when the competition moved to being on TV was never about who holds the trophy. My objection was that if there was a single winner, this could represent the loss of an opportunity to record the voice of a fantastic boy treble, if the winner was the girl.

In the first year of the televised format the girls were slightly younger and the boy, Alexander Olleson was 14 and was able to compete on a level footing. He won, and had many opportunities to record as a result. One of the girls that year returned again this year, something a boy that age is unlikely to be able to manage.

But it does seem like Luca will get a number of opportunities as a result of his runner-up spot, and I think in light of that I can't really complain too loudly, as that's all I want from that competition anyway.

If they continue with this format, but still give opportunities for the best boy singer to record etc. then while I will still think it's unfair as a competition, I wouldn't have so many objections about the result.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

I hesitate to interrupt this conversation with yourself, but when I saw how happy Luca was in his December 11 post and how excited he was to be going to Manchester for the recordings, I decided to stop grumbling about the format and celebrate the accomplishment with him.

Therefore, I fully endorse the point you just made to yourself.

Not that you need it or anything. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Luckdragon on Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:39 pm">1 year ago</span> Therefore, I fully endorse the point you're making with yourself.

Not that you needed it or anything. :mrgreen:
:lol:

I need no encouragement for a monologue with myself, but I thank you for your support. :lol:
j8000

Post by j8000 »

The 2023 competition is taking place now, with the details of winners kept secret until it airs in December. A new format this time, with the separate boy and girl semi-finals replaced by junior and senior contests. I'm not sure that's a good idea but we can still enjoy performances even if the contest elements leave much to be desired.

Several entrants have been announced on Twitter, 3 junior girls and a reserve boy so far:

Melody: twitter.com/JuniorKingsSch/status/1699766773577318858
Belinda: twitter.com/wellscathschool/status/1708772337879752729
Amelia: twitter.com/ElizStratford/status/1709295372076499397
Rhys: twitter.com/ChoristerMum/status/1697190308855816338
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Max Thomas (14), formerly of Magdalen College, also participated in the semifinals.

https://www.youtube.com/@maxthomastreble