Forever (Spring 2023)

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Re: Forever (Spring 2023)

Post by Luckdragon »

Lux Aeterna wrote: <span title="Fri May 05, 2023 3:04 pm">1 year ago</span> It's strange to think that the older soloists are now at the end of their treble careers in the group :cry:
The river flows on...

GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

Love Shine a Light premiers tomorrow in YouTube. Now we know who's that soloist🙂.

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

GlennJalmas wrote: <span title="Fri May 05, 2023 6:39 pm">1 year ago</span> Love Shine a Light premiers tomorrow in YouTube. Now we know who's that soloist🙂.

Looking forward to it! Thanks for the link. :D
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri May 05, 2023 10:32 am">1 year ago</span>
fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Tue May 02, 2023 11:29 pm">1 year ago</span> The new album 'Forever' will be released in Japan in exactly 2 weeks, on May 17th.
Libera Records posted on social this morning, to remind of this deadline, and to remind that the first buyers benefit from a small gift, variable according to the merchant site.
Thanks for the info. I suppose I'll be receiving the pen from HMV which I am happy to gift to someone in DC or New York! :D
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Fri May 05, 2023 7:20 am">1 year ago</span>
I like it a lot, a very pleasant Libera elevation complete with souring voices and harmonies of a pop song into a more crossover style. I hope we get to hear it this summer because I think this is an ideal song for a live concert. A very pleasant voice on the solo with a clear pure tone. Good job, Mitchel!
Wel said. It's nice to see that the group really does still have it.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Well done, Libera, on the music video. :D Our suspicions as to the soloist are also confirmed! Mitchel has a really pleasant pure toned voice that I really like on this song.

As for their music vides it seems they have three styles of music videos in the last few years that they tend to stick to:
  1. Thematic. These are videos like In Paradisum, If, and Salve Regina in which the music video has the boys acting out a sort of storyline theme that accompanies the music, and the boys are often in costume as well. "Lighthouse" will be another such video that is forthcoming.
  2. Cinematic. These are videos like COTB in which they are just singing in a large church or hall. They haven't used this one too much lately.
  3. Ethereal. This is where I would put "Love Shine a Light". These are the videos in which the boys are singing without any storyline but in front of a green screen which changes the background to clouds, rays of light, and other backgrounds. Once an Angel is another recent example of this style.
I'm no videographer but the last category may be the simplest to do because it doesn't require complicated onsite setting up (compared to the other types), or being subject to the whims of the weather.

Either way I like that there is a variety to these videos and this particular video was well done. :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri May 05, 2023 5:17 am">1 year ago</span> Well, their version of "Love Shine a Light" is pleasant and agreeable, but quite forgettable in my opinion. There's really nothing there to make me want to listen to it repeatedly. I also feel that some of the parts with multiple voices have that "studio" sound to the point where it bothers me somewhat.
I probably like the song more than you do (particularly Mitchel's part) but I agree that the studio post production element of it is pushing the boundary of being overdone.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sat May 06, 2023 5:24 pm">1 year ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri May 05, 2023 5:17 am">1 year ago</span> Well, their version of "Love Shine a Light" is pleasant and agreeable, but quite forgettable in my opinion. There's really nothing there to make me want to listen to it repeatedly. I also feel that some of the parts with multiple voices have that "studio" sound to the point where it bothers me somewhat.
I probably like the song more than you do (particularly Mitchel's part) but I agree that the studio post production element of it is pushing the boundary of being overdone.
I like Mitchel's voice and he does a nice job here, but it doesn't really change my overall opinion of this song because it's an introductory solo and not one that continues throughout the song.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I've noticed some debate on social media regarding Libera doing arrangements of 'pop' songs. I'll just say that it depends on the quality of the particular pop song, and whether the arrangement is able to transform it into something unique (distinct from typical covers). In the case of "Love Shines a Light", I think the original song is of rather low quality and I don't feel that the arrangement transforms it into something unique. I think "God Only Knows" was more successful, because it is musically superior to the other one, and the interplay of the two soloists adds something unique to Libera's arrangement. However, I can understand why the "Beach Boys" style may turn some people off. "From a Distance" may be the ultimate example of improving on the original. I still feel that it's the most impressive adaptation of a 'pop' song by Libera.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yep pretty much in agreement, and if this is the only cover they've done so far which leaves me a little bit underwhelmed then they've done a pretty good job of it so far. Like others I like Mitchell's solo (congrats to him on his debut) but as soon as the beats and backing track comes in there's not much separation to the overall voices and it feels a little synthetic...almost like it's had too much digital enhancement. I'm not really a fan of the original song anyway and that might have something to do with it.

Maybe stripped down in a concert setting with live orchestral support it might sound more authentic.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yes I believe when the majority heard From A Distance was on a album we was all a bit apprehensive but it was a million times better than we expected and it was actually a really decent cover :mrgreen:

I think this album is going to be the most diverse album they have every made for fans. I think from the songs we have heard everybody has very mixed views on what they like and don’t.

The one thing we can all agree on is the quality of talent on show has never been higher :D
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

I just did a quick and dirty analysis of the popularity of Libera videos. It shows that we've always had a good mix of classical and crossover, and I think that's a good thing.

Here are the Top 20 (with a tie). The full list is attached in XLSX format.

2023-05-06_14-24-03.png
2023-05-06_14-24-03.png (79.59 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
2023-05-06_14-24-03.png
2023-05-06_14-24-03.png (79.59 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
Attachments
Libera Videos.xlsx
(18.17 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Libera Videos.xlsx
(18.17 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Personally I like this song a lot, but I think that there is a similar controversy among the fans every time they do an arrangement of a pop song; with some songs obviously generating more controversy than others.

Some like it, some hate it, and some think the song represents an aberration of Libera's style. Whatever anyone's opinion, I agree with Luckdragon's data that such songs pull people to check Libera out. They have fans all around the world, some of whom discovered Libera through the more classical music route (such as myself) while I would hazard a guess than many more have stumbled on them through other stuff.

Anyway, and as Dani said, this new album is going to have something for everyone. :D
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

!5 videos with more than 1 million viewers, 3 with more than 10 million. That's excellent.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sat May 06, 2023 10:39 pm">1 year ago</span> I just did a quick and dirty analysis of the popularity of Libera videos. It shows that we've always had a good mix of classical and crossover, and I think that's a good thing.

Here are the Top 20 (with a tie). The full list is attached in XLSX format.
I think your list shows overwhelmingly that Libera's key market is Christmas music and religious/classical. The crossover/pop songs hardly feature.

Anyway, let's wait for the new album in a little over a week & then we can enjoy listening to it & I expect everyone will have something they enjoy.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Libera Records has published on its site and on socials a 46 seconds long extract of '永遠の絆' - 'Eternal Bond' , which is track #1 on the Japanese version of the 'Forever' album.
This track will not be present on the Western version of the album.

Reminder of release dates:
Japanese release: 17 May
International release: 23 June
USA Release: 7 July