2023 US Tour

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Re: 2023 US Tour

Post by Luckdragon »

gingerthedog1 wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:41 am">8 months ago</span> I've never heard a Libera boy express so many emotions with such passion and openness, either in recordings or in concert. I hope they record him singing this one... but I think the magic probably lies in the live performance.
I attended the Los Angeles concert and my most vivid memory was watching Joseph swaying to the sound of Mitchel's voice with his eyes closed and a look of total bliss on his face.

I also saw Creative World (and Yoyoka?) filming there, so keep an eye out for something from them.

I'll try to post some other highlights in the next week or so.
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

Some final images of the boys from the tour.

It occurred to me that this may be the last time we see Mathias, Laurence T, Koji, Victor, and Alexandre performing in the white robe, since the next academic year for them is their GCSE year.🥺🥹
IMG_2510.jpeg
IMG_2510.jpeg (545.18 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
IMG_2510.jpeg
IMG_2510.jpeg (545.18 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
IMG_2513.jpeg
IMG_2513.jpeg (410.51 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
IMG_2513.jpeg
IMG_2513.jpeg (410.51 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
IMG_2514.jpeg
IMG_2514.jpeg (379.82 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
IMG_2514.jpeg
IMG_2514.jpeg (379.82 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
IMG_2512.jpeg
IMG_2512.jpeg (337.8 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
IMG_2512.jpeg
IMG_2512.jpeg (337.8 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I think Victor said he is going to Japan this Autumn :D

Do you know which song it is, with the boys making half a circle and Luca standing front ?
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:20 pm">8 months ago</span> Do you know which song it is, with the boys making half a circle and Luca standing front ?
Ave Maria
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

For anyone still struggling with the boys’ names…

IMG_2518.jpeg
IMG_2518.jpeg (298.63 KiB) Viewed 7402 times
IMG_2518.jpeg
IMG_2518.jpeg (298.63 KiB) Viewed 7402 times
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

Last few pics from the tour (I think).

Someone on YouTube who had been at the concert at Bel Air Church had said there were a lot of empty seats, which I was disappointed to learn. I don’t know who does the promoting or how it’s done but I understand that a combination of Covid disruptions and the financial knock on effects may have played a huge part in reasons for not selling all the tickets.

Also, I’m sure Libera always used to visit Texas on their previous US tours and they always had a huge following there, but Texas wasn’t on this year’s itinerary.🤷🏽‍♀️

Anyway…on a very different note…

Is it only me who has noticed how different Daniel seems these days, as if he has a sort of teenage swagger about him replacing the bouncy happy-go-lucky kid from before?
This is not a negative observation at all, just me seeing him maturing in a way I maybe wasn’t expecting, probably because it’s happened so quickly. I don’t wanna think ahead to a time when Master D. White is no longer a part of this wonderful group.😢

IMG_2520.jpeg
IMG_2520.jpeg (795.98 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
IMG_2520.jpeg
IMG_2520.jpeg (795.98 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
IMG_2522.jpeg
IMG_2522.jpeg (249.81 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
IMG_2522.jpeg
IMG_2522.jpeg (249.81 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
IMG_2519.jpeg
IMG_2519.jpeg (477.76 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
IMG_2519.jpeg
IMG_2519.jpeg (477.76 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
IMG_2521.jpeg
IMG_2521.jpeg (358.07 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
IMG_2521.jpeg
IMG_2521.jpeg (358.07 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you Mercurial909 for all the photos and info. Definitely the case that nothing stays the same with a boy's choir :( , but for all we know Daniel (or any of the current boys really) could become leaders of the group in the future. If someone had told me back in the mid 2000's that Sam Coates would become music director and Josh Madine would be composing songs for them it would have been unthinkable.

We never know what's in store! :D

Hoping to read some more reviews soon.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

I've been a Libera fan for 25 years, but never saw much value in attending a live concert. I have all the albums and I've seen all the videos. Why go to the trouble and expense of travelling to another state to hear the same songs in person?

However, after reading the concert reviews in this forum for the past couple of years, I finally began to understand what I was missing and made plans to attend the L.A. concert. I'm so glad I did because it was an amazing experience!

I arrived at the church about 40 minutes early and joined some other Libera fans at the edge of the parking lot as they admired the amazing view from high above the San Fernando Valley. After about 20 minutes, I walked up the driveway and sat on a bench under a tree. I watched as other fans made their way up the hill, enjoying what was turning out to be a beautiful Southern California evening.
► Show Spoiler
The doors opened about 6:10 and I stopped by the merch table to buy physical versions of If and Forever (2 CDs for $25). I stream everything these days so I’m sometimes slow to pick up the physical media. Plus, I wanted to have something for the Meet & Greet.

I felt a sense of awe when I found my seat, which was in the front row on the end closest to the stage. I could not have chosen a better location. The main stage was about 10 feet to my right and the circular platform where the soloists would sing was about 15 feet in front of me. The only downside was that my view was to the side and slightly behind the soloists. It was a trade-off I was happy to make.
► Show Spoiler
It was still bright daylight as the orchestra filed in and began to tune their instruments. After a few minutes, Oscar gave his little spiel and a quiet anticipation fell over the audience. It was then that I realized the seats on the main floor were only half filled and nobody was on the balcony. I couldn’t help feeling disappointed and even a little ashamed of the light attendance. With all the sunlight streaming through the windows, those empty seats would be painfully obvious to the boys.

Then a side door opened and the boys streamed onto the stage and fell into their Vespera formation, except that Oskar went up a flight of stairs to a platform above and to the right of the stage. From there, he sang his descants like an angel on high. Vespera was performed as beautifully as others have described and it was a perfect way to open the concert.

Luca stood on the high platform for Sanctus and was the only one who went up there from that point on. Lively and uplifting, Sanctus is a fan favorite and the boys didn’t disappoint. You need great trebles for this song and Libera clearly has them. Their harmonies and timing were flawless. I wouldn’t have minded hearing it again.

We then transitioned to Wayfaring Stranger with its instrumentals, simpler harmonies and of course, the wistful solo done superbly by Frederick H.

With Ave Maria, the whole choir moved back to leave Luca all alone out in front. It was an appropriate way to spotlight him as he sang the challenging solo to perfection.

They were using spotlights from the front and vertical lighting along the back wall, but I really could have done without them. The boys in their white robes were beautiful in the natural lighting alone and it was a rare opportunity to see them that way.

It was now apparent that certain boys were on my side of the stage most of the time. Ben, Julian, Oskar, and Laurence D to name a few. Julian and Oskar were actively scanning the audience and making eye contact. Julian would often smile when doing so and I even saw Oskar give someone a big smile. The boys were clearly very happy and my concerns about their disappointment at the attendance had completely vanished by that point.

The core group of 12- to 14-year-olds were almost always near the center with the younger boys spread out on either side. I began to think of them as “the minions” because there were so many of them. There was usually a more experienced boy among them, such as Laurence D on my side and Nathan on the other.

I had high expectations for Nathan in From a Distance from prior reviews and he didn’t disappoint. He proved that he can do more than descants and I hope we hear more from him.

Mitchel’s intro to O Beata was sublime. To me, it had a beckoning nature like a siren’s call. It’s a wonderful addition to the Libera repertoire, especially with a soloist as expressive as Mitchel.

Luca. Lighthouse. Awesome and flawless. What more can be said?

Voca Me with Luca up on the platform. It seemed to give his solos more impact. A nice variation on a Libera staple.

Nathan and Pietro did a nice job starting Beati off. The line from the Bigs was fun to see.

After all that’s been said about Daniel conducting the 7 parts, I thought there would be more to it. The song itself was great, though.

Following intermission, the boys entered double-file down the central aisle singing Lux Aeterna. The sun was close to setting at this point with rays of gold and red light coming through the windows. An interesting song to hear as darkness began to fall in the mortal realm. I loved his Morgan’s voice in this.

I agree with what’s already been said about the transition to The Prayer. I get the logic behind it, but it does confuse the audience and cut down on the applause for Lux Aeterna. However, all that is forgotten when Joseph’s young voice carries us away. There’s such a clear and sweet quality to it that he leaves us yearning for more.

We do get just a little more as Joseph leads off Total Praise. It seems like this song has been done to death in recent years, but the different soloists starting it off always seem to keep it fresh.

Ave Verum. Freddie. The video had about 410,000 views on the day of the concert. It’s about to pass 500,000 as I write this 10 days later. I scanned the audience looking for shocked Pikachu faces, but everybody in the front rows seemed to be fans who were in the know. All I saw were delighted smiles. Still, I felt a sense of sadness as the song ended, wondering if we’d just heard the very last performance of it. This was something unique and special in the history of Libera, past and future.

I Am the Day has always been one of my favorites and Morgan has made it more so. His voice is a nice match for the song and he sang it superbly.

Love Shine a Light isn’t a song I would have listened to in its original form, but I do like the Libera version of it. In fact, it can be quite an ear worm. It’s usually the song I’m humming after listening to the album. Mitchel’s cheerful solo always gives me a lift and I really enjoy having it in the mix.

Once an Angel was well-sung but I wonder about its placement among the last four songs. The other three are comparatively upbeat so it seemed a little out of place to me.

God Only Knows was sung superbly by Luca but there were definite sounds of strain in Daniel’s voice in the higher registers. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was his last performance of it.

Sing For Our World is a great song to end the concert with. The boys really perk up and sing with great enthusiasm. I just love to watch them do it.

Smile lived up to all the praise I’d heard about and more. As written, it’s a beautifully poignant song and Mitchel takes it to another level. Libera has a great video of the song that tells a nice little story, but I hope they can somehow do Mitchel’s version as well.

My final and most vivid memory of the concert was watching Joseph swaying to the sound of Mitchel's voice with his eyes closed and a look of total bliss on his face. I know exactly how he felt.

The Meet & Greet

The M&G was in another building. Some people lined up immediately, but I relaxed on the patio outside in the hope that there’d be more time to chat as the line dwindled. The boys arrived in high spirits with the minions noisily pushing and shoving as they jostled for position before going through the door and sitting around a long line of tables arranged in a 3-sided square. You need a lot of tables for 34 boys!

Orlando likes to be first and usually is (according to him).

Oscar likes to make a great big “O” and draw a face in it.

A German guy in front of me asked one of the boys why they don’t do M&Gs in England. The boy said it’s probably because Libera isn’t as popular there. That can’t be the reason, but it made me sad that he thinks so.

I told Lewis he was the smile champion of Libera. He seemed to get a kick out of that and said it meant a lot to him. Laurence D is a close second for me.

The Bigs were all clustered around the first corner of the 3-sided square, chuckling among themselves. Dom, however, sat a few seats down looking very distinguished and proper. He’s a Big, but a different kind of Big.

Thomas and Freddie were at the other corner. It was great to see them sitting together, but up close they’re like the Odd Couple. Thomas looked immaculate with his hair perfectly combed, leaning forward and holding his pen like a student about to take a test. Freddie was slouching in his chair, very chill and relaxed, with wild curls scattered across his forehead. I felt a distinctly Bohemian vibe coming from him. His initials look like some kind of alien symbol.

One of the boys smirked as he showed the boy next to him that Ludwik’s face had been scribbled out on a lady’s album cover. I looked at mine and his face was scribbled out there as well. Ludwik had apparently signed under his scribbled face without comment. None of the other signatures seem to match the color and thickness of the pen that did it. I’m afraid it will always remain a perplexing and mildly irritating mystery.

Luka and Daniel were sitting at the end like a grand finale and my little chats with them were the perfect way to end the evening.
► Show Spoiler
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Well, thank you for your very nice and full extend review ! I sure hope you will attend many more concerts and bless us with your reviews :lol:
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

Thank you so much, Luckdragon. I really appreciate your review. Gives such a detailed and interesting insight that those of us who can’t get to concerts couldn’t otherwise enjoy.

Love what you said about Lewis and Laurence D being the two smily boys - every generation of Libera has had those and they’re always memorable.😊

From the NYC video on YouTube I see what you mean about Dom being very “distinguished” - he’s grown up so much in the little over a year that he’s been away. Would love to know what his tenor vocals sound like but…not sure how much more we’ll see of him. Seems the alumni don’t return as often as they did a decade ago.

Can’t help but wonder what the line up of “Bigs” will look like a year from now too.

By the way, the youtube views for Ave Verum are indeed over 500k now - pretty unprecedented in such a short space of time.

Freddie and Thomas: These brothers remind me a bit of the Tesei brothers, just in terms of there being less than 2 years between them, but people often confuse the younger brother for a miniboy.
Easy to forget that Thomas, now 12 (Freddie is not yet 14), has been in Libera for over 3 years, but we’ve yet to hear any album solos from him despite some fans saying he’d been impressive in performances last summer. Thomas is part of the core group of 12 year olds along with soloists Morgan, Nathan, Mitchel and Frederick H.
With Freddie already in countertenor range and Luca set to turn 14 on his next birthday, I’d expect this group to take on even more solos, and I hope Thomas M will get his opportunity too.

Who else is coming up with Joseph as a future successor to Luca and the core group?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks for the review, Luckdragon! :D Enjoyed it.

And thank you for the factoids, Mercurial, didn't know or consider all of that!
gingerthedog1

Post by gingerthedog1 »

Here is Part 1 of my review!

Notes: I attended both the DC and New York concerts, and was so happy to be back after four years of not having attended any! The musical quality was so good throughout, all the boys did an amazing job. The first venue, the Basilica, had an incredible acoustic where the notes echoed for at least 3 seconds, and washed the whole space in what felt like a sound bath. Unfortunately, the sound engineering for this one was a bit wonky sometimes, especially with the lower voices overpowering everyone else at certain points. Though the boys sang well, the balance issue seemed to be mostly with the sound mixing, and not their actual singing. Despite this, the concert was still really amazing acoustically, I can’t complain too much!

The second concert was miles better in terms of sound balance and mixing! The space was much more intimate, and it was possible to hear their natural voices without amplification. The sound was even better the second half of the concert, and it basically sounded like their studio recordings. This time around, intonation also had improved from already excellent (in DC) to almost perfectly in tune.

Vespera

The group has a really great blend here, the beginning chant was perfectly unified. Luca’s singing reminds me of glowing light. He does a good job showing lots of very subtle nuance, darkening and lightening his tone in order to convey the emotional narrative of the song.

This is also when I noticed extremely soft, gentle, floaty high notes. In the past, the high notes have been piercing, bell-like, ringing tones. Right now, they have a more gentle presence. I suspect much of this is due to Nathan, whose highest notes are extremely pure and beautiful, yet also so soft and gentle.

Nathan also had the descants in DC, he did a wonderful job with them, the ethereal lightness of his voice suits this song.
Oskar did the descants in New York, and I was equally impressed, perfect intonation and very nice control of his voice already.

Sanctus

So colorful this time, Luca’s high notes extremely well connected and even throughout the range.
The light and airy high notes were particularly wonderful in this song as well, the blend was wonderful, and they didn’t detract from the lowest harmony parts, which were more audible this time.

I also noticed many of the boys visibly enjoying themselves in this song. So many smiles, and it wasn’t even Nusantara!

Wayfaring Stranger

Frederick Howarth had the solo, he has a bright, light voice and an extremely natural musicality, and a particularly soothing voice. Similar to Victor, his singing always seems to be full of a peaceful joy, exuberant and serene at the same time.

Freddie can also always be counted on for perfect intonation. The choir as a whole carried the energy and joy from sanctus into this piece, making for a less solemn and more spirited performance. The flute solo by Eimar was also very moving and beautifully played.

Ave Maria

Luca was incredible, both in terms of technique and expressive performance. He held onto some impossibly long lines effortlessly, had such a smooth connection through all of the very high notes, and seemed to “speak” through the song and really committed himself to delivering the message as a storyteller. You could see this determination in his face and the way he stood, but of course, it was also audible in the sound of his singing, full of conviction.

Unfortunately, though the choir sang impeccably, the sound engineering seemed to struggle a bit here. I thought that the individual mics from the choir could have been blended a bit better, but this was minor and did not detract from my enjoyment of Luca’s solo.

From a Distance

This was probably one of my favorites of the whole concert. From the first three notes, I was taken aback by just how much better the singing was as compared to the studio recording (still good, but no recording can beat a live performance of a song).

In particular, Nathan’s voice has improved greatly since April in Korea. He has developed a really wonderful richness in his low notes, and some nice bright overtones in his upper range. I loved the smooth quality of his voice, it’s very warm, velvety, and rich, especially in his lower notes. Here is a boy who seems it all, range wise.

The choir for this song worked together so well, constantly making small adjustments to each other when they got off sync, working so well that I doubt most of the audience even noticed there were timing issues here. Here, once again, the blend was almost perfect. It really did sound like one voice singing seven different notes at once.

O Beata

I must confess that I didn’t really like this song at all until the concert. Before, it was just boring and aimless-sounding to me. However, this ended up being one of my highlights in concert.

Mitchel did so wonderfully on this song. He has the impressive talent of being able to switch between crossover and classical styles of singing. Here, he sings with a pure, focused, and sparkling tone. His singing seemed to steer the choir, pulling and pushing the swell of the music until it blossoms into a chorus.

Victor and Mitchel harmonize exceptionally well, neither voice overpowering the other, with very complementary tonal colors. At times, it sounded like Victor’s voice was just Mitchel’s voice two years in the future, and he was harmonizing with himself.

The choir really seamlessly transitioned from verse to chorus to bridge to chorus, several voice parts exiting and entering in a really complex, layered harmony. As mentioned before, this creates a push and pull in the music. It almost sounds like the music is a lullaby that is gently rocking and then slowly swells into a huge climax by the very end.

This was like an acoustic kaleidoscope, with ever-changing lights, shapes, and colors coming in and out of focus.
I think the reason why I liked this better than the recording is mainly due to Mitchel’s performance, but also because I could perceive and differentiate all these different tonal colors better.

The Lighthouse

This was my favorite song off the album, and I loved hearing it live. Luca clearly enjoys singing in this jazzy style, creating a really smooth, easy listening experience for the audience. Like Mitchel, he is excellent at changing his voice to suit the style of the song.

I was extremely impressed by the choir’s tuning, as this is such a difficult song to sing in tune, yet they didn’t make it sound difficult at all. I particularly enjoyed this one in New York, the balance between the double duet at the end was incredible, and the last note on the word “are” always manages to “lock” and ring because it tunes so perfectly.

Laurence takes on his new role well. His voice is very different from Victor’s, but his vocal timbre is very similar to Luca’s and they sound wonderful together in their duet. Also of note, I really enjoyed the plucking on the double bass for this one.

Voca Me

Pietro did the last part of the song (the one Ciaran does on the DVD). His voice suits it perfectly, very imploring, steadfast, and calm.

This was so incredible to hear live, it was my first time having done so. The sound on this one was louder than some of the other songs. Sitting in the audience truly felt like I was literally “in the sound” as it reverberated around the whole space, bouncing off all the walls.

Here, the high notes sounded particularly piercing and clear, instead of just floating up as they normally do. I also noticed a really brilliant, shimmering tone from the third trebles… the whole sound seemed to sparkle, giving the solemn melody a joyful undertone.

Beati

It's so much fun to watch the boys sing this one, it’s definitely one of their favorites to sing.You can always catch lots of them smiling.
The lower parts in this song are really nice to hear, very grounded and bass-y and rich, but not too overwhelming (when the sound balance is done well).

Pietro and Nathan have a duet, which was very well done, and intonation also improved by the New York concert.
One of the younger boys was particularly keen on getting all the complicated positions and stage movements right, he would police other boys and push them into the right place! This made me laugh!

Libera

Daniel’s demonstration of the 7 part harmony in this song was very impressive. I really thought this might have been the most beautiful sound they produced in the concert. Without instruments, we could hear how spectacular the harmony was, it carried on for many seconds after they stopped singing in the reverberant space.

Mitchel and Freddie M share the solos. Mitchel’s singing for this song has both a sweetness and richness of his voice here, it reminds me a lot of Isaac’s voice. Both boys convey innocence and emotional intellect, but Mitchel’s voice is perhaps lighter and brighter than Isaac’s voice.

Mitchel had such a fantastic performance in DC, and in New York it was even better. Unfortunately, his mic stopped working mid solo, and Luca jumped in to finish Mitchel’s line in less than a second. I was impressed at how quickly he rescued the line, it was almost unnoticeable.

The lowest voices sounded magnificent and provided a “carpet” of sound for the others, the highest notes are particularly crystalline. Sitting close to the stage and speakers, I could physically feel the vibrations from the harmonies.

O Beata and Ave Maria were my highlights of this half!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

gingerthedog1 wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:30 pm">8 months ago</span> Here is Part 1 of my review!

Notes: I attended both the DC and New York concerts, and was so happy to be back after four years of not having attended any!
I'm very much looking forward to Part 2! I hope that you don't take this as some kind of false flattery but I think that you're one of the top reviewers here in part because you notice musical things that the rest of us might miss or overlook.

I have been wary to say this aloud but I agree with you that from a “From a Distance” on the studio album, while certainly good and well-recorded and without any flaws that I can detect, has not been as good as what we've heard live either now or even years ago. In my mind it's not really the energy or enchantment of a live performance (although the tempo is increased live!), but in part the choice of soloist. Just to emphasize the point, I'm by no means criticizing the soloist on the recording, but Libera just had really strong singers so well-suited for this piece in live concert that it gives this song a special something that just wasn’t captured on recording.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next part of your review.
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Anyone has the list of instrumentalists and staff for the US Tour?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:16 am">8 months ago</span> Anyone has the list of instrumentalists and staff for the US Tour?
See this tweet: