South Korea 2023

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Re: South Korea 2023

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Will some of these concerts have Meet & Greets?
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Thanks to Justin we have some news.

It seems Liam Connery is the conductor for tonight’s concert. Eimear is back as well :mrgreen:
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

dani wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:59 pm">1 year ago</span> Thanks to Justin we have some news.

It seems Liam Connery is the conductor for tonight’s concert. Eimear is back as well :mrgreen:
Oh that would be wonderful news if true. It’s always so heartwarming when some of the alumni come back to help out.
I hope Steven Geraghty is okay and hasn’t left Libera, though.

Happy to see Mathias and Alex Menuet on tour too. No Johnny or Laurence T, but looks like Daniel is at the back now along with Victor, and I’m sure I saw the top of Koji’s head in one of the pics.

Sadly it’s looking like little Cory has left.😕
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

The boys seemed delighted by the adoration of the Korean fans. Justin's photos and video showed the boys walking into the M&G with big smiles. He even caught Freddie with a huge grin like I've never seen before.

It sounds like Joseph's "Prayer" and Freddie's "Ave Verum" were highlights, along with "Sing".
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:12 pm">1 year ago</span> It sounds like Joseph's "Prayer" and Freddie's "Ave Verum" were highlights, along with "Sing".
I cannot even imagine how Freddie's "Ave Verum" could be even more spectacular than it was in December, but it seems to be true :D :shock:
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:12 pm">1 year ago</span> The boys seemed delighted by the adoration of the Korean fans. Justin's photos and video showed the boys walking into the M&G with big smiles. He even caught Freddie with a huge grin like I've never seen before.

It sounds like Joseph's "Prayer" and Freddie's "Ave Verum" were highlights, along with "Sing".
Justin also mentioned Luca's "Far Away" solo as a highlight, even if he did forget a line :mrgreen:. Frankly, I'm more interested in his singing outside of Libera. The Pope's weekly intention included: "that God may grant an extension on Freddie's treble voice". I'm really looking forward to hearing more of Joseph's voice. He also seems to have a rather bubbly personality, so I'm sure he will be popular with the fans. Is Ben Hill his brother, or does he just happen to share the same very common last name?
Last edited by bachmahlerfan on Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:34 pm">1 year ago</span> I'm really looking forward to hearing more of Joseph's voice. He also seems to have a rather bubbly personality, so I'm sure he will be popular with the fans. Is Ben Hill his brother, or does he just happen to share the same very common last name?
It's possible, considering the history of brothers in Libera. In a bio, Joseph's mother Katy said she was mom to two boys. With the musical genes flowing through that family, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

He could also be related to one of Britain's greatest legends, Benny Hill.
Last edited by Luckdragon on Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:34 pm">1 year ago</span> Justin also mentioned Luca's "Far Away" solo as a highlight...
Also, "Sing Forever" in the first half, presumably by Joseph and Nathan.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Some notes from Seoul (SAC) concert:

List of the boys, as captured OCR from the program (sorry for the capitals)
ETHAN BARRON
CAMERON BIRMINGHAM
LUCA BRUGNOLI
LAURENCE DAVEY
MITCHEL GUY
FREDERICK HOWARTH
ETHAN HUTCHINSON
ALEXANDRE MENUET
MATHIAS MONTORO
FREDERICK MUSHRAFI
THOMAS MUSHRAFI
LEWIS QUINN
KOJI SHINOKUBO
NATHAN SLATER
JACK SPICHA
DANIEL WHITE
VICTOR WIGGIN
MORGAN WILTSHIRE
HAL AVERY
ORLANDO BENEDICT
LEON CLARKE
OSKAR HANSTVEIT
BENJAMIN HILL
JOSEPH HILL
OSCAR JAMES
THOMAS SANDOVAL HERRERA
FEDERICO VERGANI
PIETRO VERGANI
SAMUEL WHALEY

Note that you might see two forms of names. Depending on the program, some have been corrected with the application of a large sticker on the list of boys. Same thing on the staff members page, also with a correction sticker. A first for me in a libera program. The list above is the final and correct list.

A premiere: Liam Connery as conductor.
The title given to him on the credits is 음악조감독/지휘자 , meaning 'Assistant Music Director/Conductor'.

When the boy entered the stage from both sides, it was supposed to be in silence while the usual welcome message recorded by a boy was played. But as soon as the boys entered the audience erupted in applause and shouts as one would expect from the final applause. So loud to the point that the recorded message was totally inaudible, drowned out by applause. I saw quite a few concerts and such an enthusiastic reception on stage while not a single note was played yet is a premiere for me.
Talk about putting pressure on the first boy to sing!

01: Vespera, solo by Luca, descant by Oskar (from the back right corner of the stage), which is a premiere for him.

The boys were scattered isolated all over the stage, looking to various directions, in the same shape as for Voca Me, for those who know. Luca was located in front of the stage, in the center.
Very nice performance.

At the end, surprise: no applause! Nothing. Total silence from the public (a premiere for me I think). The boys did not show any particular trouble and after a few seconds of silence, on a movement from Liam, Sanctus was launched.

02: Sanctus (Luca having the long highest notes)
They started from their position from Vespera then moved along the song, to form the usual wide arc for Sanctus, everyone facing the center of the arc.
And this time lots of applause and shouting at the end.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Then a 1st talk by Lewis and Pietro. They introduced themselves to the audience using Korean words, prompting applause. They continued in English with the translations in Korean text projected on the back wall of the stage.

They mentioned Mathias, at the back of the stage, waving an arm, as being now 15 and being 8 last time libera came to Korea. I checked on LP and indeed Mathias was on the Korean tour 2016. The only one among the 2023 group of boys.
They also introduced the youngest on stage and this time it's Benjamin (Hill), standing on the right side of the stage. Both him and Mathias got lot of applause.

03. Salva me.
Bathed in yellow light, they divided into four groups of 6, with a line of low voice at the back of the stage. Isolated on the top right corner was Joseph, doing (very nice) descants.
The boys raised slowly their hands on the 'Salva Me' words.
They started and ended the same way, with their heads bowed as Joseph launched his 'Salva' in high notes. One could describe it as if Joseph's calls of the beginning awaken the group, which raises slowly the head and sings in chorus with energy, before returning to the quietude on the end, always with the calls of Joseph.
(Personal feeling, the percussionist in the background with the musicians was playing drums way too loud. Perhaps it was my position near the stage...)

Again, no applause after the song. Unusual but it allowed a smooth and short transition to the song next.

04. Stay with Me
They lined up in two rows facing the audience, with the big boys at the back. In the right corner was Laurence D for descants, here again very nicely done.
I have to check for it on the next concerts but I think Thomas M was standing a step before the others of the 1st row of boys. I did not notice any particular solo from him, so I may be wrong about his position.

The song got long applause.

05. Wayfaring Stranger.
Eimear the flutist is back with the group after a break. She walked from the musicians row to the center stage, and played a long slow introduction of Wafaring Stranger. She then moved to the right side of the stage, still standing in the front.

The boys formed the traditional V shape for this song, the V being open at the center for the start of the song. At the center, very back was Frederick H bathed in white light, in the position that was occupied by Sam Wiggin nearly 10 years ago.
Frederick sung the solo first verses from his position. Then he walked very slowly to the front of the stage while the others performed the next verse.
Then both side lines walked to Frederick to close the V formation and sing with the power of the whole group.
Great performance from Frederick, a first solo role from him.
They got long applauses.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

06. Sing For Ever
Solo by Joseph and Nathan alternately, with behind them support from Luca for high notes, and... I think Victor and Frederick M (will confirm after tonight's concert).
The 5 of them were centred front stage while all others formed a large arc around.
Joseph's voice fits perfectly on this sweet song.

2nd speech, from Daniel and Laurence D about Robert and the new album 'Forever'.

07. The Lighthouse
The boys lined up in 4 columns, arranged in each by increasing height. Before them stood Luca, having the solo.
I guess it was on this song that I started noticing Mathias, koji and Alexandre leaving the stage on some songs that don't have low parts to sing.
During the song the four lines slowly part and the boys disperse on stage, much like the waves disperse after touching the lighthouse Luca that remains still.
At the end Luca is joined front stage by Victor, Daniel and I think Morgan (will confirm tonight).

Looking forward for the video of the song that they recorded recently.

08. Voca Me
The boys are spread a bit everywhere on stage, appart Luca that is located upper right corner, doing the descants.
It is still the second version of Voca Me, which I regret. The original version was much better IMHO. In addition I felt that a voice from the right was not blending rightfully with the others (perhaps just a local perception due to my position near the stage).
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

09. Beati Quorum
They arranged themselves in groups of 6 as for Salva Me, but with Nathan and Pietro isolated in the front stage. They start the song by singing a few notes and responding to each other.
I can not describe much more, sorry. I don't like and don't understand that song. Each time I hear it confirms me my feeling of confusion for both the tune and for the numerous moves on stage.

Speech by Nathan (I think) and Daniel, announcing the intermission to come. Daniel led the demonstration on the various groups of voices that compose Libera, using Sanctus as example.

09. Libera
Frederick M and Mitchel went center stage, facing 3/4 each other. The others formed lines on the sides and the back and they move during the song, ending all in the large arc as for Sanctus.
Freddy and Mitchell sang the English parts together.

The first part endded with long applauses and shoutings while they were leaving stage for intermission.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I can't help wondering if Katy Hill is strictly serving as a chaperone, or if she is also involved with the vocal training of the group.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

10. I Am They Day
Solo by Morgan, alone front stage, with the others in groups as for Salva Me. They entered the stage under another round of long applause.
Very nice performance from Morgan.
The two small roles of the high and low voices which call and answer each other towards the end were held by Oskar for the treble and... Daniel for the low. I was surprised for the first, I was looking Mathias, but it wasn't him. Then I saw Daniel at the really end. I'll try to confirm this evening but I'm pretty sure.

11. Orinoco Flow

(I'll keep posting but time lacks, and not easy having only my mobile)
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:39 am">1 year ago</span> I can't help wondering if Katy Hill is strictly serving as a chaperone, or if she is also involved with the vocal training of the group.
She has a toddler, so I doubt she'd be there without a good reason.

Thanks for doing such a nicely detailed report in spite of the challenges. It's very much appreciated. I hope you enjoy the "secret" concert at the Church of Love. :D