St John's Smith SQ Concert 2022 - Dec 4th

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: St John's Smith SQ Concert 2022 - Dec 4th

Post by Surpinto »

Being a Sunday there are any number of choral services you could attend: St Paul's, Temple Church, or any of the others in the area assuming you don't want a repeat of the Wabbey or Wathedral (lol). I was planning on attending at Temple Church that morning, so that could be an option.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:13 pm">1 year ago</span> Being a Sunday there are any number of choral services you could attend: St Paul's, Temple Church, or any of the others in the area assuming you don't want a repeat of the Wabbey or Wathedral (lol). I was planning on attending at Temple Church that morning, so that could be an option.
Wathedral :lol: :lol: :lol: using that from now on!

I haven't been to the Wathedral since pre-pandemic times, they went through that tough patch with internal problems. But I have it on good authority (Mr S. Price) that they are singing well at the moment.

In terms of concerts:
Wednesday 30th London Oratory Schola carol concert
Thursday 1st Westminster Abbey Bach Xmess Oratorio
Friday 2nd Cardinal Vaughan Handel's Messiah
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:53 pm">1 year ago</span>
Friday 2nd Cardinal Vaughan Handel's Messiah
A busy weekend for some Libera choristers and fans.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Last year I think there were some choristers who did Messiah, Dorchester Hotel Carols, 2 x Libera, and Royal Opera house, in four consecutive days!

:o
j8000

Post by j8000 »

I am tempted by CVMS Messiah but unreserved seating puts me off - I just assume I'll travel all the way there to end up behind a pillar at the back. :lol:
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

There is a large pulpit on the right which you should do your best not to be seated behind, but other than that I would suggest turning up as early as you can if you want a good seat. The recent LOS concert was in the same venue and I got front row by virtue of being an hour early. Given there are likely to be other Libera fans there for the CVMS concert, perhaps go even earlier and bring a flanged mace. :lol:
holy-trinity-church-in-sloane-square-BY034J.jpg
holy-trinity-church-in-sloane-square-BY034J.jpg (265 KiB) Viewed 18622 times
holy-trinity-church-in-sloane-square-BY034J.jpg
holy-trinity-church-in-sloane-square-BY034J.jpg (265 KiB) Viewed 18622 times
The first few rows of seating will go to accommodate the choir and orchestra.
j8000

Post by j8000 »

Thanks for the info, I am doing wabbey the day before so not sure if I'll go for this or not yet. I guess one benefit of no reserved seating though is that you can wait until much nearer the time to decide to buy tickets.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:13 pm">1 year ago</span> Being a Sunday there are any number of choral services you could attend: St Paul's, Temple Church, or any of the others in the area assuming you don't want a repeat of the Wabbey or Wathedral (lol). I was planning on attending at Temple Church that morning, so that could be an option.
Thanks! It's a tough decision with all the options for Sunday morning, but I guess I will attend St. Paul's this time (or would Temple Church be by far a better choice? :o ). Seems like I will not see much of London apart from places of worship :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, I will miss CVMS, arriving in London the other day. For December 5th, a VCYM concert is announced. Is this public as well or more of an internal concert? Worth the visit?

To get a bit back to topic :oops: : Any wishes for the Libera concert?? I'm really courious what the programme will be like compared to 2020 and 2021. I'm hoping for a lot of Christmas songs! Wish list extract: Veni, veni, Emmanuel / Ding Dong merrily on High / Walking in the Air / Joy to the World / Three Ravens
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:07 pm">1 year ago</span> Thanks! It's a tough decision with all the options for Sunday morning, but I guess I will attend St. Paul's this time (or would Temple Church be by far a better choice? :o ). Seems like I will not see much of London apart from places of worship :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, I will miss CVMS, arriving in London the other day. For December 5th, a VCYM concert is announced. Is this public as well or more of an internal concert? Worth the visit?

To get a bit back to topic :oops: : Any wishes for the Libera concert?? I'm really courious what the programme will be like compared to 2020 and 2021. I'm hoping for a lot of Christmas songs! Wish list extract: Veni, veni, Emmanuel / Ding Dong merrily on High / Walking in the Air / Joy to the World / Three Ravens
You are probably more likely to get a better seat at Temple Church, and it is certainly a more intimate venue.

I don't know about the VCYM concert, other than being on the school calendar is it advertised anywhere? Personally, I only go to CVMS events because they market themselves as an independent organisation with a clear emphasis on public concerts and performances. There was for instance a play on Monday at the school, with DW in a role which obviously I would have loved to have seen, but I wouldn't have felt comfortable attending. In fact, despite living only 20 minutes away, I have only ever been to the school once, and only because it was advertised as a CVMS joint concert with the Petits Chanteurs du Mont Royal and appeared to be open to the public. (In actual fact it was basically me, some teachers and some parents, lol) Try it, and let us know. :D

My biggest wish for the Xmas Libera concert is that DW sings one "last" solo. :cry:
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:29 pm">1 year ago</span> I don't know about the VCYM concert, other than being on the school calendar is it advertised anywhere?
CVMS posted a Calender of Events on Twitter back in September with this event included, but apart from that I haven't seen it being advertised somewhere. The event collides with Wathedral, but let's see.

Celtic wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:29 pm">1 year ago</span> My biggest wish for the Xmas Libera concert is that DW sings one "last" solo. :cry:
Oh yes, agreed, of course! :D Dear Santa, IF I had just one wish... :roll:
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:41 pm">1 year ago</span>
Celtic wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:29 pm">1 year ago</span> I don't know about the VCYM concert, other than being on the school calendar is it advertised anywhere?
CVMS posted a Calender of Events on Twitter back in September with this event included, but apart from that I haven't seen it being advertised somewhere. The event collides with Wathedral, but let's see.
Celtic wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:29 pm">1 year ago</span> My biggest wish for the Xmas Libera concert is that DW sings one "last" solo. :cry:
theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:07 pm">1 year ago</span>
Thanks! It's a tough decision with all the options for Sunday morning, but I guess I will attend St. Paul's this time (or would Temple Church be by far a better choice? :o ). Seems like I will not see much of London apart from places of worship :mrgreen:
That's not a bad thing :lol: :wink: St Paul's is of course a grander venue and better known. I mentioned the options that I did because they are all in roughly the same general area, and the other venues (Wabbey, Wathedral, and St Paul's) are all large spaces, while Temple Church is smaller; assuming you are interested in such variety. Others who have attended services at these places can give more details, but your choice of St Paul's is perfectly fine I'm sure. :D
:roll: If only! I would bet against it at this point. :?
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:13 pm">1 year ago</span>
:roll: If only! I would bet against it at this point. :?
If just a little bit of luck could Come My Way I would be Joyful, Joyful because I have nothing but Total Praise for DW and his voice.

(That's most of his solos in the last few years, right? :P )

Oh, and maybe a nice Alto aria on the Friday too, please?

Thanks in advance Santa!
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

Will be sad if DW’s maturing voice warns him off any solos at Christmas but that also means we get to hear the newer soloists making their mark.

We already know that Morgan, Nathan, and Freddie have become accomplished soloists, and we still get the joy of Luca’s imperious first treble vocals.

Will be strange not to see Dominik, Johnny, Alex Menuet, Laurence T and Mathias M, though I hope some of them will be there as alumnus. The “Bigs” now may well be Koji, Jack, Ethan and (maybe) Victor and DW.
Choirfan
Silver Member

Post by Choirfan »

Due to a seat upgrade, I have a spare ticket in row L if anyone is interested. Probably not the best view in the house being about 10 rows back but certainly could be worse.

DM if anyone interested :D
"You are not alone"
in2dwww

Post by in2dwww »

I am interested! Flying from Texas on Saturday. Would love to attend a Libera Christmas Concert while in London. I last saw them in 2019 at SJSS.

I registered on this site to dm, but new members can't dm.
Choirfan wrote: <span title="Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:30 pm">1 year ago</span> Due to a seat upgrade, I have a spare ticket in row L if anyone is interested. Probably not the best view in the house being about 10 rows back but certainly could be worse.

DM if anyone interested :D