Boys Choir Festival - Nuremberg - 18 June 2022

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

theriverflowson
Silver Member

Re: Boys Choir Festival - Nuremberg - 18 June 2022

Post by theriverflowson »

It was an entertaining and informative evening for me - so happy they offered the stream, which was produced in a very professional way with several mobile camera angels, 1080p quality and good sound.

Just talking about the final concert, it definitely was not the evening of the soloists (can anyone tell us how they handled it for the other concerts?). I just remember Escolania to have had a treble solo part in their first song. Anyway, with the limited amount of pieces each choir was able to present (2 - 4), I liked that most of the time the whole choir was included.

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:01 pm">1 year ago</span> Regensberg even performed one ("Beati mortui") where the trebles sat down and did not sing at all. It was a nice piece but these were the world famous SPARROWS and they were at a BOY CHOIR FESTIVAL. A puzzling decision.
It was the Hannover choir, but I share your thoughts! I found that decision quite strange, having in my mind that this was a Boys' Choir festival! Even it the the piece was short, the time frame for each choir was strictly limited and I personally would not have chosen to present this certain song within this format.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:22 pm">1 year ago</span> It was the Hannover choir, but I share your thoughts! I found that decision quite strange, having in my mind that this was a Boys' Choir festival! Even it the the piece was short, the time frame for each choir was strictly limited and I personally would not have chosen to present this certain song within this format.
Ah, yes. Thank you for the correction. My apologies to the Sparrows, who sang beautifully.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

It was excellent and to those who attended live - wow!
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:10 pm">1 year ago</span> I was busy when it streamed and because it was posted that it would be available for 72 hours after I thought I would be able to buy it and watch it after the event but the link is now dead :(
Please check your DM's on Twitter as I may a workaround solution.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

j8000 wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:17 am">1 year ago</span> Scott Price tweeted that Escolania de Montserrat were the standout choir, does anyone else who watched it agree?
It appears filiarheni agrees with Scott.

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

The final song of the event was "Locus iste" (A. Bruckner), sung by all six choirs and conducted by Poznan's Jacek Sykulski.

Here is the Poznan Boys' Choir and their guests, Stuttgarter Hymnus-Chorknaben, singing the same song about 10 days prior in Poznan:

LordG

Post by LordG »

I haven't been able to get a ticket on time. When I checked on Monday, ticket sales were offline. :(
Is there a way to lay my hands on a video of this concert? :roll:
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

In order of how good they were:

Escolania de Montserrat - Absolutely sublime! Libera-esque in parts. :mrgreen:
Windsbacher Knabenchor - Really fantastic vocals and an interesting and engaging repertoire. :D
Poznan Boys Choir - Exciting and high quality, with a good dynamic range. 8)
Knabenchor Hannover - OK but fairly vanilla, repertoire suited me more than Regensburgers
Regensburger Domspatzen - Neither their sound nor their song selection was really to my liking, nothing outstanding.
Nidarosdomens Guttekor - So, so disappointed by them. :shock: However, I heard through a friend they are aware they are in a rough patch.

The first and third concerts were fantastic, and the last one was great just because of the sheer number of singers all crammed into one evening. However, I'd gloss over concert 2... :cry:

Sunday morning I sat through god for more Escolania. (Yes, that's how wonderful they are; I was willing to pretend to be Catholic for 2 hrs to hear more from them! :P )
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:38 pm">1 year ago</span> Sunday morning I sat through god for more Escolania. (Yes, that's how wonderful they are; I was willing to pretend to be Catholic for 2 hrs to hear more from them! :P )
That reminds me of a recent documentary about the Thomaners. One senior chorister said he thought there were fewer religious boys in the choir than ever before. Then a Thomaskirche (Lutheran) pastor told a story that really struck me.

He said that he once asked a 12th grader how he could have sung all of those religious songs for so many years if he didn't believe in God.

The young man said, "I know that when I sing, I'll console the people down there. There are a lot of people sitting down there who believe it. I do it for them, and I do it with all my heart."

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Some excerpts from Poznan's concert...

Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Thanks for posting that. Nice reminder.

Ahh yes, the annoying photographer. He was actually told off by the video camera operators... and just ignored them and still got in front of everything...
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Ameno
From the final concert of the Boy Choir Festival

seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

Beautiful :D

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:27 pm">1 year ago</span> Ameno
From the final concert of the Boy Choir Festival
[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Tomorrow will be the premiere of the Poznan's second song from the final concert - Imbakwa. Highly recommended to watch! :D

theriverflowson
Silver Member

This time not from the final concert, but from their concert earlier that day at St. Sebald:

"Ave Maria" by Escolania de Montserrat (Spain)

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

The combined choirs sing "Locus iste."