Schola Cantorum

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Schola Cantorum

Post by Luckdragon »

From https://www.facebook.com/cvmsmusic

There is an exciting and varied term of music events ahead at the Vaughan.

In March we will hold, for the first time in two years, our Annual Music Competition: heats in Strings, Piano, Brass, Woodwind and Singing, leading to the final and the awarding of the Upper and Lower School Musician of the Year award.

On Friday 11 March we return to the beautiful Wathen Hall at St Paul's School for our Spring Concert, the annual celebration of all things instrumental at the Vaughan. Our Big Band returns to the Bull's Head, Barnes on Sunday 20 March.

This is a busy term for the Schola which, alongside its regular liturgical duties, provides the children's chorus for operas at both the Royal Opera House (Tosca) and English National Opera (La bohème).

On the Feast of Candlemas the Schola will sing Choral Vespers on BBC Radio 3. This programme, to be recorded at Our Lady of Victories, Kensington in January, will be broadcast at 3 pm on Wednesday 2 February. The Schola will become the first choir from a state school to sing for an episode of this weekly broadcast in the nearly 100 years the programme has been on air.

The term will end with our very own Three Choirs Festival! On Wednesday 23 March, at St James's, Spanish Place, the Schola will sing JS Bach's St John Passion, accompanied by period instrument orchestra St James' Baroque. On Friday 25 March the Sixth Form Choir, directed by Mr Castle, will perform Brahms' A German Requiem at St John the Evangelist, Holland Road. And on Wednesday 30 March, at Holy Trinity, Sloane Square, the School Choir will sing Mozart's Requiem, with soloists from the School.

Please do join us if you can. Tickets, where required, will be available shortly.
Last edited by Luckdragon on Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celt

Re: Schola Cantorum Upcoming Preformances

Post by Celt »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:08 pm">2 years ago</span>
On Friday 11 March we return to the beautiful Wathen Hall at St Paul's School for our Spring Concert, the annual celebration of all things instrumental at the Vaughan. Our Big Band returns to the Bull's Head, Barnes on Sunday 20 March.

This is a busy term for the Schola which, alongside its regular liturgical duties, provides the children's chorus for operas at both the Royal Opera House (Tosca) and English National Opera (La bohème).

The term will end with our very own Three Choirs Festival! On Wednesday 23 March, at St James's, Spanish Place, the Schola will sing JS Bach's St John Passion, accompanied by period instrument orchestra St James' Baroque. On Friday 25 March the Sixth Form Choir, directed by Mr Castle, will perform Brahms' A German Requiem at St John the Evangelist, Holland Road. And on Wednesday 30 March, at Holy Trinity, Sloane Square, the School Choir will sing Mozart's Requiem, with soloists from the School.
I saw that post and was very excited. I hope to attend both Operas if I can get reasonably priced tickets and while I may give the instrumental a miss, I shall certainly be at St John's Passion. I think I heard them sing Montiverdi Vespers at St. J's Spanish Place. 🤔
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:08 pm">2 years ago</span>
On the Feast of Candlemas the Schola will sing Choral Vespers on BBC Radio 3. This programme, to be recorded at Our Lady of Victories, Kensington in January, will be broadcast at 3 pm on Wednesday 2 February. The Schola will become the first choir from a state school to sing for an episode of this weekly broadcast in the nearly 100 years the programme has been on air.
I am entirely unsurprised, it is not before time. CVMS is a very talented, but also well managed and directed choir. I am delighted for CVMS that they are being given this opportunity.
Last edited by Celt on Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

Familiar faces ...

[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

seraphita wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:25 pm">2 years ago</span> Familiar faces ...
One of whom I didn't even know went there. Sweet!
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Schola Cantorum - La bohème

Post by Luckdragon »

OH NOOOOO!

GlennJalmas

Re: Schola Cantorum - La bohème

Post by GlennJalmas »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:31 pm">2 years ago</span> OH NOOOOO!

I'm hoping that everything will be fine.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:31 pm">2 years ago</span> OH NOOOOO!
Hi Luckdragon,

I merged this topic with the existing one you started recently as we have so many threads dedicated to CVMS already; and they aren't so long as of yet that the discussion would get lost :wink: Hope you don't mind :)
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

GlennJalmas wrote: <span title="Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:05 am">2 years ago</span> There's actually 6 of them, based on the photo there's [names redacted because of rules (that really shouldn't apply to this school because they are super active on social media and everybody knows anyway)]. I'm hoping that everything will be fine.
Oops, you're right. I missed the first L but I think your M is actually another L.
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:01 am">2 years ago</span>
GlennJalmas wrote: <span title="Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:05 am">2 years ago</span> There's actually 6 of them, based on the photo there's [names redacted because of rules (that really shouldn't apply to this school because they are super active on social media and everybody knows anyway)]. I'm hoping that everything will be fine.
Oops, you're right. I missed the first L but I think your M is actually another L.
Sorry about that,thanks for the correction. That's right,he's another L instead of M😁.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

GlennJalmas wrote: <span title="Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:57 am">2 years ago</span> Sorry about that,thanks for the correction. That's right,he's another L instead of M😁.
The three Year 7 students are all L's, as in LOL.

D and F are Year 8. V is the old man of the group in Year 9.

That's 6th, 7th and 8th grade for the US folks.
Celt

Post by Celt »

I had been looking for a ticket for opening night. Luckily, I couldn't get any Russian Oligarchs to subsidize the cost of a decent seat for that night. :roll: So I shall wait until I get confirmation that CVMS are back in before trying again! :D

p.s. anyone want to buy a kidney? one semi-careful owner. 8)
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Re: Schola Cantorum Upcoming Performances

Post by Luckdragon »

The Schola's choral evensong that was broadcast on BBC Radio 3 on February 2 will be available for the next month at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001414j.
Celt

Post by Celt »

A soloist from CVMS is on the soundtrack from the upcoming Batman movie which was recorded at Abbey Road last October. :)

While the soloist is not named, I have a strong suspicion that it is someone we know quite well. 8)
► Show Spoiler
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celt wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:40 pm">2 years ago</span> A soloist from CVMS is on the soundtrack from the upcoming Batman movie which was recorded at Abbey Road last October. :)
CVMS were clearly told to send their best... so they did!
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

Celt wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:40 pm">2 years ago</span> A soloist from CVMS is on the soundtrack from the upcoming Batman movie which was recorded at Abbey Road last October. :)

While the soloist is not named, I have a strong suspicion that it is someone we know quite well. 8)
► Show Spoiler
Thanks for sharing,last time it was for the Rocketman. It's no wonder they have the best of the best🙂.

(Edited for privacy - JB)