Britains Got Talent

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Britains Got Talent

Post by Yorkie »

During last nights show on the chat forum it was said that only singers win BGT. I thought it might be interesting to post the winners of the shows starting from the first one:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

So two singers out of five. The last one is the worst winner of them all in my opinion. Terrible voice, cant hold a note and stay in tune, no low end. Will need some some significant work (i.e. auto-tuning) for his album and comparing him to Josh Groban is laughable.

As I said last night every tenor in any British choir can sing that well. Nothing special.
Last edited by Yorkie on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I agree Yorkie.
I was supprised Ronan did not win, and James a very close second.
Don't think I will vote again as it seems the vote is a complete fix :|
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Yorkie wrote:During last nights show on the chat forum it was said that only singers win BGT.
I remember this sentence, this was said when we were waiting to know the 2011 winner after having see the 10 performances. it was said that only a singer can win, but from these ten ;)

And in fact the votes agreed :)

JAI MCDOWALL            29.1%
RONAN PARKE              26.7%
NEW BOUNCE                8.9%
RAZY GOGONEA            8.4%
MICHAEL COLLINGS      7.7%
PAUL GBEGBAJE            5.8%
STEVEN HALL               5.4%
JAMES HOBLEY             3.5%
LES GIBSON                  2.6%
JEAN MARTYN               2.0%

Thank you for the summary of the winners Yorkie :)
Being abroad UK I must say I had not ever hear on media here about George Sampson, Diversity or Spelbound.
The only well known people from BGT are Paul Potts and Susan Boyle.

What are the news in UK about the winners George Sampson, Diversity or Spelbound ? Are they still appear in the media?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

fan_de_LoK wrote: Thank you for the summary of the winners Yorkie :)
Being abroad UK I must say I had not ever hear on media here about George Sampson, Diversity or Spelbound.
The only well known people from BGT are Paul Potts and Susan Boyle.

What are the news in UK about the winners George Sampson, Diversity or Spelbound ? Are they still appear in the media?
Well, George seems to have moved in to acting and has appeared in the UK soap Waterloo Road, which is set in a school:

[youtube][/youtube]

Diversity are doing sell out stadium tours:

[youtube][/youtube]

Spelbound are performing in international competitions. I heard an interview from them yesterday on the radio and they said they still compete at international events + they have been touring as well. Haven't seen as much about them to be honest:

[youtube][/youtube]

Mercy & Love
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Earlier I saw a clip of Jackie Evancho's guest performance on BGT finals. Loved it. Loved the contrast of her demeanour while she sings compared to after she sang. :) It's like after the song, her reaction jolts you back to realization that it's a very young girl singing as opposed to somebody like Hayley Westenra. And from other clips of her in YT, all I can say is that she sings like a boy soprano and her voice won't break. Lucky her!
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Ronan did great in my opinion, I have been listening to his performance again and again since last night and I am moved by the force and security of his singing in that performance. I thought I detected nerves in the beginning but overall his performance to me seemed very strong.

And Jai - his voice isn't terrible, maybe you just gotta love it and I agree about the lack of 'deep' but in the semi-final he really impressed me. Still, Ronan was last night's winner for me, with James a close second - I still feel sad for him ending so low, and still don't understand why. My only theory is that his style of dancing is (still) thought of as too 'gay' or 'weird' to win...
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote: And Jai - his voice isn't terrible, maybe you just gotta love it and I agree about the lack of 'deep' but in the semi-final he really impressed me. Still, Ronan was last night's winner for me, with James a close second - I still feel sad for him ending so low, and still don't understand why. My only theory is that his style of dancing is (still) thought of as too 'gay' or 'weird' to win...
Compare Jai to a real talented singer - I picked a tv version to give a more accurate comparison.

[youtube][/youtube]

There really is no comparison. The people that voted for him have no idea what good singing is.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I know Josh Groban, have all his music, and have seen him live a few years back. I immediately had to think of Josh Groban when I first heard Jai. But sometimes I have to concentrate and listen and compare in order to hear the difference ;) (havent listened to Josh for quite some time)
Josh' voice is richer, fuller, has more colour, depth etc. Jai's voice is indeed weaker, though he does have a certain dark brown sound that is very natural and warm. Maybe the full-blown song in the semis was more suited to him, but in a more sensitive and dynamic song like To Where You Are you hear the weaknesses of his voice (though he'll out-sing me any day! :D).
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Jai warbles when he shouldn't and his voice drifts slightly off key at times.
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Speaking of Jackie Evancho... she has to work on his low notes, and some more control of her voice... Not speaking as an expert here (because I'm not). Just writing my observations based on what I hear. But I could just imagine how herfuture recordings will be. I've listened to her "Ave Maria", and it all but emphasized the superb-ness of Steven Geraghty and Tom Cully's "Ave Maria" and Tom Cully's "Ave Virgo". But then again, I believe Jackie was just 10 when she recorded "Ave Maria". She'll not do anything, but improve.

Currently searching for her CD here in the 'Pines...
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

paul30003 wrote:I agree Yorkie.
I was surprised Ronan did not win ......as it seems the vote is a complete fix :|
I agree.
I was at the BGT tour live show at the O2 last Thursday and there was absolutely no doubt who was the crowd's favorite by a mile. Ronan Parke got a prolonged standing ovation every time he appeared. His voice is truly remarkable and so expressive for one so young. Jai's reception (he was on last) was almost embarrassingly luke-warm by comparison and significant numbers left the arena during his performance. The show finished quite early (around 9.30) so I don't think this was because of missed bed-times or last trains to catch.

John
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Hi John :)

I also agree !

I was in Edinburgh two weeks ago and also went to the BGT tour.
Ronan was by far the most impressive artist on stage, and one of the two most acclaimed :)

Jai McDowall received the same applause level as Ronan but I think it was mainly due to the fact we were in Scotland and he is Scottish ;)

What about the crowd at the O2 arena ? was it full ?
In Edinburgh it was packet ! (3.000 seats).
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

john45 wrote: I was at the BGT tour live show at the O2 last Thursday and there was absolutely no doubt who was the crowd's favorite by a mile.

John

You missed a hell of a show at VPT to watch that rubbish John :?

Mercy & Love
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

VPT ?

Edit : got it ! Victoria Palace Theater ! :)
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Yorkie wrote:
john45 wrote: I was at the BGT tour live show at the O2 last Thursday and there was absolutely no doubt who was the crowd's favorite by a mile.

John

You missed a hell of a show at VPT to watch that rubbish John :?
I was at the VPT on Friday. Tried row B for a change (I usually favour rows E to H). Can't say I was disappointed as despite the restricted view it is certainly right in the action and good value for money.
I heard the turn-out at the O2 was 4,000.
Is anyone else going to the Cheltenham Music Festival? There's a concert by the combined Tewkesbury and Gloucester choirs at Tewkesbury Abbey next Saturday.

John