Britains Got Talent

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Murkskis wrote:Absolutely right about the "age verification", it counts.
My point was not about the exact figure but about the attitude.
I can hardly accept such "talent" as the elephant on a national show.
OK I`m not from UK, so I`m not the best judge at all. But I expect this show to exist in order to reveal some real new talents- like the guy who sold mobile phones before ... you know.
What I see the focus is to keep the audience as large as possible.
Real art can`t be measured in numbers.
The question is what we choose the art by keeping up quality or the money by keeping up cheap popularity.
P.s. I`m realy trying not to be offensive to anyone, because the opinions can be so different.
Murksis, don't worry nobody will be offended.

The show is not just about talent - it attracts many people who want their 15 minutes of fame, hence the elephant. There is no suggestion that they are good or appropriate or will win the show but it is about entertainment - and you can never stoop too low when it comes to the great British public :lol:

You don't have to be good to be on the show, in fact some of the most memorable ones are terrible - they get the biggest laugh!
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Yorkie wrote:
The show is not just about talent - it attracts many people who want their 15 minutes of fame, hence the elephant. There is no suggestion that they are good or appropriate or will win the show but it is about entertainment - and you can never stoop too low when it comes to the great British public :lol:

You don't have to be good to be on the show, in fact some of the most memorable ones are terrible - they get the biggest laugh!
My immediate reaction was like :shock: And extreme laugh was my second natural reaction :lol: That's on the good side of the occasion.
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

It helps with the ratings as well. Like it or not, people like to see other people fail. It's Schadenfreude! <starts singing Avenue Q song> Did anyone see this week's auditions?
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Ok, I've not updated you on this thread for a while. Last night was the first of the 4 semi final shows. Eight acts perform & only two acts each night go through to the final show.

Last night the two successful acts were:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

The guy who swallows stuff didn't make it but I liked him!

[youtube][/youtube]

Special guest appearance by last years winners:

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Yorkie on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Great entertainment :D
I think the 'Soldiers' (Diversity) were the best !
At least for me- I saw talent in action !

Others were also quite good.
That bloke with the keys and ring ... :lol:
"Would you like the key?" :lol:
Nice illusion.

Are you trying to convince anyone, Yorkie that Britain's really got talent?
I believe you ! :lol:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Well Didzis, I didn't start the thread - I think it was originally there for Susan Boyle. But I thought people #might# be interested in other things from Britain and not just cute kids that can sing :D

Do they have the show in Latvia yet - I know the format has gone round the world (we get the US one over here too)?

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

"people #might# be interested in other things from Britain and not just cute kids that can sing"
Fully agree.
For example, If I were able to visit Middle-earth (LotR) I would have visited that, too :lol:

About the show- nope, we don't have that format here. Although I can't complain about lack of shows. :lol:
But if we discuss TV- I watch it few hours in a week. And I spend extremely lot of my time surfing around the infinite lands of internet 8)
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

If we continue to discuss more or less musical passions - I admit I don't have any 'musical education' so I can't join to deep analysis of cathedral choirs etc.
I'm not going to discuss too much those topics I have no expertise related.
To tell you more, I also like techno music, but I'm not very keen to remember too much personalities or specific background. If I could see a Tiesto concert within a reasonble distance ... I missed the chance to see him in Riga in 2008. Maybe I will be in Germany this summer- this could be a chance to get closer.

P.s. I'm good at going out of topic I suppose ! :)
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Last nights show was great! Tobias Mead and Spelbound were both incredible! I'm partial to Tobias Mead though... :oops: :lol:

Today's were still pretty good, but Tina and Chandi? Really? They aren't going to win and frankly, they don't need too! Everybody loves them already! Connected were out of tune, and although I think they have a lot of potential, did not deserve that spot over Neil Fullard (IMO). And what happened to Michael Fayombo Jr. and Sr.?? I thought they were brilliant! Anyway, I don't think either act tonight has a chance against Tobias Mead or Spelbound...
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Does Simon Cowell still work on this show? He recently left American Idol and that show will suffer for it. He was the only one who was not afraid to tell people the truth.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Oh, and to continue my rant, Tina and Chandi have already done TV talent competitions! On When Will I Be Famous, one of the judges (Chuck, I think it was... with the big glasses...) made some comment about "bringing back acts like Tina Chandi. That was the same time as the comment about how Angelis would be a good role model for Libera. :evil:
libera36

Post by libera36 »

TEB wrote:Does Simon Cowell still work on this show? He recently left American Idol and that show will suffer for it. He was the only one who was not afraid to tell people the truth.
Yeah, he does. I much prefer him on BGT than Idol, though, because he tends to be more polite but he still gets his point across!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Simon is leaving American Idol to launch a very similar show called X Factor (it's the show he does in the UK which replaced Pop Idol, which was the show which gave birth to American Idol. Phew.). X Factor includes groups and over 25's and the judges each get a category of act to mentor. Simon is talking about leaving BGT though.

Last night was a weak show IMHO - don't know how they decide which acts appear in each of the semi final shows but the difference in quality between Monday's show and last night was huge.

Winners of Semi final 2:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[/youtube]

Mercy & Love
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Don't the public have a say in it? Here in the Philippines, yes we have a show with that format ("Pilipinas Got Talent" via ABS-CBN, the channel that carries "Showtime", which was the show that carried "Libera" last time they're here) and people vote thru text messaging and the top 2 vote getters for each semi-final moves on to the final round.
libera36

Post by libera36 »

phlibera wrote:Don't the public have a say in it? Here in the Philippines, yes we have a show with that format ("Pilipinas Got Talent" via ABS-CBN, the channel that carries "Showtime", which was the show that carried "Libera" last time they're here) and people vote thru text messaging and the top 2 vote getters for each semi-final moves on to the final round.
Yep. In the semi finals, the public votes for the acts and the top act goes through to the final. Then the judges pick between Act #2 and Act #3.