Hi from New Zealand!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

And if you're lucky you can post your letter in one of these :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_box" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(you got to tell me how I add a picture to my post)
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Yorkie wrote:And if you're lucky you can post your letter in one of these :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_box" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Uncle Sam's Rule of Post Office Box Placement: Post office boxes are everywhere...until you need one: then the closest will be some matter of miles away.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I was amazed to discover that US postal service staff deliver the mail by driving up to the mail box. And they refuse to deliver if the mail box is blocked by a parked car!

And those kids delivering newspapers just flinging them anywhere - I'd have been lynched if I'd tried that over here (although it does look fun :P )
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Yorkie wrote:(you got to tell me how I add a picture to my post)
I have to use a Photobucket.com account--I don't think just putting the IMG BB code in for an image found anyplace online works...but Photobucket accounts are free, and stable.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Yorkie wrote:I was amazed to discover that US postal service staff deliver the mail by driving up to the mail box. And they refuse to deliver if the mail box is blocked by a parked car!
So how's it delivered in the UK?
Yorkie wrote:And those kids delivering newspapers just flinging them anywhere - I'd have been lynched if I'd tried that over here (although it does look fun :P )
Hehe we have a popular video game (Paper Boy) based on how much fun that allegedly is...
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

kjackson83 wrote:
Yorkie wrote:I was amazed to discover that US postal service staff deliver the mail by driving up to the mail box. And they refuse to deliver if the mail box is blocked by a parked car!
Yorkie wrote:And those kids delivering newspapers just flinging them anywhere - I'd have been lynched if I'd tried that over here (although it does look fun :P )
Hehe we have a popular video game (Paper Boy) based on how much fun that allegedly is...
Mail and papers are delivered on foot (parcels involve a truck of course), up to the door and through the letterbox (our letterbox is a slot in the door - no mail box at the end of the garden in the UK).

I remember paperboy the game from my youth - it was HUGE overhere back in the '80s as well :D
Last edited by Yorkie on Wed May 20, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Yorkie wrote:
kjackson83 wrote:
Mail and papers is delivered on foot (parcels involve a truck of course), up to the door and through the letterbox (our letterbox is a slot in the door - no mail box at the end of the garden in the UK).

I remember paperboy the game from my youth - it was HUGE overhere back in the '80s as well :D
On foot...sometimes ours is delivered that way--a few people still have mail slots, but nowadays the trendy thing is to have a rather ugly, grey block of small boxes near the centre of a street block--and those are the residents' post boxes for the neighbourhood...

And YES, USPS will absolutely refuse to leave mail for anyone who even slightly inconveniences them in whatever way (primarily by where your car ends up being parked)...we have an expression, 'going postal.'
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

kjackson83 wrote:And YES, USPS will absolutely refuse to leave mail for anyone who even slightly inconveniences them in whatever way (primarily by where your car ends up being parked)...we have an expression, 'going postal.'
:lol: lol :lol: - I like that term :D
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Yorkie wrote:
kjackson83 wrote:And YES, USPS will absolutely refuse to leave mail for anyone who even slightly inconveniences them in whatever way (primarily by where your car ends up being parked)...we have an expression, 'going postal.'
:lol: lol :lol: - I like that term :D
You've not fully experienced the glorious wonders of American civilisation...until you've queued for two hours in a tiny cramped room carrying a massive parcel listening to people jabbering into their mobiles at full-on volume before reaching the counter to be screamed at by an overworked postal employee largely unfamiliar with the English language and having a bad day as it is! *whew.

I encourage all tourists to our great nation to experience the USPS just once--Lord Peter Mandelson can start us off, since he's such a big fan of Royal Mail ;) :D
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

my postman is dyslexic -his words not mine

not a good thing

we always get 12 lasham walks post not ours

but the funny thing is they dont ever get ours so god knows where ours ends up
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Yorkie wrote:And if you're lucky you can post your letter in one of these :D

When you post something, look at the top. You should see a button "Img" click on that, then paste your image link, then click on it again. That will post your picture. Or you can paste the link, highlight it, and then click the button.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

[quote="kjackson83...we have an expression, 'going postal.'[/quote]

I love that game. Anyone else ever play it?
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

TullyBascombe wrote:
kjackson83 wrote:...we have an expression, 'going postal.'
I love that game. Anyone else ever play it?
The PC game? I've only seen it, never played it--but it looked like a blast (I mean, figuratively speaking it looked like a "blast"...I mean...oh never mind!)
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

kthomp wrote:my postman is dyslexic -his words not mine

not a good thing

we always get 12 lasham walks post not ours

but the funny thing is they dont ever get ours so god knows where ours ends up
Your postman is slysdexic--I mean, dyslexic? :shock: isn't that a bit like being a politician with no speaking skills--I mean, wait a second...
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

testing......testing......testing........

Well, one out of three isn't bad! game on :D